Well, it finally came down to me wanting a monster more than the video equipment I intended to acquire to film the construction. Originally my thoughts were that I would document the entire build with dialogue and close ups of film. That being said, I was never happy with the level of production I was able to achieve and so I have thrown in the towel on this particular project.
The result is a fine kite (minus an upper spreader right now, as I find I'm out of 5mm carbon... which is now on order). I can add this to the stack of kites I've built but yet to fly!
Some notes on the design:
Should you build this kite, beware the mylar panels. If your stitches are too close together, it will just tear a hole in the mylar sections.
The frame of this kite is great... the lower spreaders, upper leading edges and lower leading edges can all be cut to 73mm. I set a stop block on my DIY spar cutter and just cut away (6 spars all the same length)
3pt bridle is just the right dimension so that a keeper line is not needed to prevent tail wraps.
Hopefully "imitation" really is the higher form of flattery. If you look close at the kites I build, you'll see the clear influences of my favorite builders (Paul Shirey, Ken McNeill, Lam Hoac, to name a few).
3pt leading edges
5pt black diamond lower spreaders
5mm upper spreader (on order)
approx 12 grams weight in the tail
And more related to another thread (the "which part of kite making do you like the least" thread), here is a shot of the nose. The nose, being close to the last thing I do on the sail, always presents one last step for me to mess up! This nose has a mylar sail re-enforcement, along with a dacron pocket in the rear for the spine. The dacron pocket is lined with 'moonie tape', as i find this helps the spine slide in easily and keeps the dacron from splitting over time.