It's back! Looking back through the Kitebuilder's Forum, I think it's been 5 years since a Kite and Kitebuilder of the Year has been chosen. Time to dust off the trophy (which in this case will be a $100 Fly Market Kitemaking Supply gift certificate).
The rules are as follows...
KITE of the YEAR
1. All nominated kites must have been built in 2014, 2015, or 2016. (Sorry, all you 2012 and 2013 builders. And in the future, this award will be for the current year only.)
2. All nominees must be predominantly hand-made. For example, it's OK to use fabric with a pre-printed graphic on it, although it will be up to the voters to decide if that's better than a kite that is hand-painted or appliqued. Commercially-built kites are not allowed.
3. To nominate a kite, post at least one photo of it IN FLIGHT to the KITE of the YEAR thread on the Kitebuilder's Forum http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12
, or to the Fly Market Kitemaking Supply facebook page. Feel free to post more than one photo of the kite, but at least one photo must show it in flight. Please include a description including the kite's name, materials used, kitemaker's name, and anything else you want people to know about it.
KITEBUILDER of the YEAR
1. Nominated kitebuilders must have at least 3 kites built between 2014-2016. You will be judged on your body of work, not just one kite.
2. Kitebuilders can be from anywhere in the world, and can make any kind of kite... but they must be members of the Kitebuilder's Forum. (Hey, if you're not already a member, go sign up right now! It's free!)
3. To nominate a kitebuilder, submit photos of at least three of their kites to the KITEBUILDER of the YEAR thread on the Kitebuilder's Forum http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12
, or to the Fly Market Kitemaking Supply facebook page. Include the kitemaker's Forum name, and anything else you want peoople to know about it.
Nominations will be open through December 31, 2016. Voting for the winner begins in January. All decisions as to eligibility will be made by the staff of Fly Market Kitemaking Supply, and may not be appealed.