GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help on Vapor framing  (Read 4174 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09 PM »

Well Jim, more likely I have a 1 type, with 4 standoffs.....an add-on, sincerely when I saw them for a moment I surmised so, but it's very hard to say, and then added by who, by Prism or the previous owner? And what about the larger central white panel of the sail, look at the pic with my second Vapor put on the first and it's clear that the panel is larger, I measured it, it's 8 cm larger between the point where the 3 black ribbons meet. Such a larger panel together with the longer wings and sail tips, leads to a wider wingspan compared with the standard size, do you agree?
Fixing the square sail reinforcement where US cross the spine is easy, I simply replace the wrong one with a new one square of self adhesive dacron sticked in the right place. If glue leave spots, I clean them with white spirit (if my english is correct, it's a paint thinner called aquaragia in italian....but not acetone!) it doesn't affect mylar at all.
Ah, I also replaced on the other Vapor, the standoffs fittings on the LEs with 4 APAs elbow fittings which fit way better the spreader and look also better.

I believe that you have a modified type one (your first one) and that the reason the sail is larger is because there was a major change in 1997 to the sail, which is now called the type two.  It was at that point that the cross axis bridle was changed out and the shorter stand-offs were added to change the flight charactersitcs.

Here is the original field card that came with the type one on a friend's Vapor #070:

If you have touble reading this I can send these along as attachments to your e-mail, and if you like I can also send you dimensions and such for our # 074.

JIm

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:38 PM »

Yes Jim, please email me a scan of the 2 pages becuase I cannot read them, and the #74 dimensions too.
Many many thanks for your kindness.

Ciao,
Paolo.
Kantaxel

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01 PM »

It may take me a bit to get back to you because I'm in work mode right now, but I will, and very soon........................

Jim

Kantaxel

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 07:09 PM »

Paolo,
PM or e-mail me  your e-mail address and I can forward you the pictures of the field card as early as tomorrow morning.  Your e-mail is hidden. Cool

Thanks,

Jim

Svolazzo

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 05:51 PM »

I finally got to a conclusion on this  seemingly strange 1 type Vapor, everything I did is to be tested in flight and this is what I'm going to do ASAP. So, here is what I did: to meet the larger sail I leave the LS at full length 32,5", I cut the US at 20". So doing the sail has a good shape IMO, it's to verify if it will fly well too!
I don't know if this will work, but shorter US & LS give a very odd shape to the sail especially compared with my other similar Prism kites as a classic Illusion.
So, let's fly and see. I'll post soon some pics of the two Vapors to show you them.
Kantaxel

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53 PM »

Paolo,
At long last I finally got out #074 and wrote down the measurements.  We only have the outdoor upper spreader and it's 20 1/2" long

Lower spreaders measure 31 1/4"

Stand-offs are 13 1/4" from the sail to the endcap tip.

Hope that helps and if you have further questions I'll be back on the weekend.  For now #074 has gone back to it's ABS protective tube.

Jim

Svolazzo

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59 AM »

Jim, many thanks for your help, I have two more questions: can you take the measurement of the LE stoppers? In my Vapor the lower stoppers were missing so I don't have any reference, but I would check also the ULE stoppers too just to be sure thet the one I found is correct. Please take the measurement of the lower stopper from the fat end of the Skinnies because if you have different wing tips the size would come out wrong: I always saw FSD Hard Top end caps, but mine are Arrow Nocks as you can see in the picture below, so I don't want to risk to got a wrong measurement.

Thanks again for your help and patience,
Paolo.
Kantaxel

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 05:53 PM »

I think that it would be best to measure them from the nose (lower le stoppers)  That way if your skinnys have been modified or changed out you won't have an errant measurement.  This kite (074) has  the original lles and spreaders.  Just an upper was replaced.....I'll post them tomorrow....kinda tired (just got in) Wink

Jim

Kantaxel

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 01:06 PM »

The LE stopppers (measured to the top) are 13 1/4"  and 40 5/8" from the nose with the material included................accurate enough for any purposes, IMO.

The stoppers on the lower spreaders for attachment of the bridle are at 9 1/4" and 13 1/2" measured from the tee point to the outer edges of the stopper......  Good luck with your project! Wink

Jim

Svolazzo

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 03:56 PM »

Many many thanks again Jim, I will apply your measurements to my rebuilding Vapor and let you know how they works.
In the meanwhile I had a flying session with my 1997 #95 other Vapor......WOW, so floaty, smooth and ghosty kite! it's five times an Ozone like!
I heard someone who was passing behind me say to his friend: "look, what a beautiful kite!"........... my smile went ear to ear and my thought was...."yes boy, you are looking a Vapor flying windless"  Grin
Paolo.
Kantaxel

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 05:14 PM »

It certainly is a beautiful kite..........never seen an ugly one.  Congrats on your first flights!

Jim

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document