GWTW Forum
February 24, 2017, 05:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 video camera's any Info  (Read 1076 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: January 20, 2017, 02:40 PM »

I still have not seen any 360 videos of kite flying...  I have been looking at 360's on the internet... Best Buy and Amazon... not too expensive.  I am just not sure what is good and at what price is enough.. enough!!   I am thinking a 360 video of flying with the pilot in the video also is going to be (as Larry David would say) pretty pretty cool.  Then a set of Google glasses on your head with music...Fo getta bout'

What is everyone's take on 360's and any suggestions.  I am thinking got to have at least 16 mp for photos.  Obviously HD 1080i or 4K...

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48 PM »

because you're spreading the pixels over a large area and only looking at a small portion of the overall image at any moment anything less than 4k looks blurry as frig.

so far, i'm not a convert. just from the results, the samsung gear 360 seems the best of the bunch but ... the videos are a bear to watch as well.

they also don't shoot in 3d so in a "vr" scenario like google cardboard they're still just a flat video you have to turn your head to watch.

but if you have the money and want to make something for your own enjoyment hey, there's no harm in that. have fun with it. Smiley

(edit: a scenario like a big kite festival where there are huge kites flying all around though, i would imagine a few minutes with stationary camera positions so the viewer could look around at their leisure would be enjoyable.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:51 PM by fidelio » Logged

Fdeli
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:43 PM »

edit: a scenario like a big kite festival where there are huge kites flying all around though, i would imagine a few minutes with stationary camera positions so the viewer could look around at their leisure would be enjoyable.)

That has to be the best in photographing a kite fest...   Huh Huh Huh  Everything at once...

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23 PM »

I bought a Samsung gear 360 camera about 3 months ago and am still in the testing phase. There certain are some limitations. First, the resolution. Even at 4k, you are only getting 1/2 that per lens at best. The best bit rate is around 50mbps but it will probably end up lower.

Once you capture the video 1/2 the battle is done. The other half is that each clips needs to be rendered or stitched before it can be used in any way. On a phone or computer this can easily take 10-20 minutes per clip. I'll usually transfer everything over to my computer and let Action Director start to stitch each clip. If there are 20 clips, this can take all night.

A big issue for me right now is editing. I'm using PowerDirector 15, made by Cyberlink. Cyberlink also made Action Director for Samsung to stitch the video. It's not the best editor but it does okay. My big issue is that I cannot currently select the starting view. So the viewers starting view is where ever the camera was pointed at the time. If the action turns out to the side, they need to pan around to see it. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.

So the biggest drawback is the resolution. Anything not about 20' or closer to the camera does not show up well and looks a little blocky.

The other limitations are that the clips need to be something that a view can pretty much look in any direction and be entertained. So the person taking the video needs to use it in certain situations only. The other limitation I see is in that 360 video cannot be used with any other format (conventional video). So it's all 360 or nothing.

I just uploaded one quick clips that I took a few weeks ago in Lake Havasu. It's 100% unedited so it's nothing special. Make sure you turn the resolution up to 2160. Of course, it's best view with VR goggles.

https://youtu.be/p0URa0REnf0

Edit: I know John will LOVE this clip!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:31 PM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:25 PM »

Thanks tcope I needed to hear and see some thing like that... Gave great info and might have saved me some serious cash  Kiss ... video was actually priceless to me.  Showed me what I won't be able to do...

tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 03:23 PM »

Showed me what I won't be able to do...
Like don't give your new expensive lines to an inexperienced flier?

There _are_ limitations to 360 at this time. I think I mentioned them above but I'll put them in a short list and order:

1) Resolution. Anything less then 4k at this time is not worth it IMHO as the resolution is cut in 1/2 at best. As the resolution is lower, anything further then around 30' is not going to show up very good.

2) 360 video really only shines in certain limited uses. There needs to be something to be seen in several different locations all around the same time. That is, the viewer needs to have a good reason to pan and look around. I'd say most of the time a conventional camera is better and the media cannot be intermixed.

3) Editing. I suspect this will get much better before we see another improvement to 360 cameras. The biggest drawback I have right now is that I can not start a clip pointing in a certain direction. I'm _super_ frustrated with this right now as, if it 360, why should I not be able to start in any direction. In reality I'm sure this might be very difficult as you need to keep in mind that the video is still edited as a single flat panel. The editing software just modifies it to be displayed like you'd see it once done. There are limitations to that. But for me, this kind of kills it's use.

Right now I'd certainly call this a novelty. Videos can be very interesting though. I have some clips from my Hoover Dam Tour that might be pretty good. Kind of like going on the tour without having to be there. However, I was not "ballsey" enough hold the camera up on the selfie stick most of the time. I'm still getting used to the odd looks and questions. It certain attracts a lot of attention.

I'm rambling a little but I'm hoping to get to KP this year and will have the camera out. I'm hoping to get some short "interviews" with some of the fliers using the 360 camera. Imagine.... a group of 3 or 4 people around the camera. It would look just like a normal conversation on the flying field.

Keep in mind, the Gear 360 also does _great_ 360 photos as well. These look great. It just takes one click to get these photos.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:30 PM »

I originally thought about spending about 300-500 on the camera.  topping out at the high side. You've given me some good food for thought. I hadn't thought about distance from camera to kite etc.  Makes good sense to wait awhile for new improvements.  So I might get one on the low side to play with...
Now I can understand photos from KP will be great.  But as you indicated distance is a little problem.  Being able to see everything like that will be great... I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom