GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My challenges  (Read 1893 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 15, 2013, 02:00 PM »

Hi,

I haven't had much luck with wind inland. This weekend I went to the beach for a couple of hours and was a bit better although a bit strong.
So I took out my Soul.

I'm still having troubles getting the fade in a stable and consistent way. I get a good fade out of 20 attempts  Roll Eyes
I feel I am now getting better fades by doing a dip-flare-fade entry rather than through a fractured axel.

Once I get a fade I can now more or less do a couple of backspins. So I'm happy there.
Also I mannaged to do two AVFFFs in a row. So also quite happy there.

What I cannot get at all is the up-down control of the fade.
In general if I wish to stabilize the fade I must stand still to keep it in place. Sometimes I must walk towards the kite to avoid it entering a strong dip.
But if I try to rise the fade by pulling slowly and lightly, the kite immediately dips down and I have to quickly recover to avoid a nose dart on the ground.
Something is escaping me and I don't know what it is...

Mind you, I obviously have no video proof of anything I'm explaining. It is too dangerous to leave my camera (mobile) a certain distance away from me to record my flying. So I think I'll never be able to get all this on video...  Sad

As always I'll keep practicing...
Cheers

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:48 AM »

Fades, like sideslides, are probably the most finicky thing to control in the entire trick repertoire. When getting a fade to rise, I'd try doing nothing but keeping the hands steady and walking backward ever so slightly and steadily. I wouldn't 'pull' anything really, I'd do it all with my feet. Try that, and see if it helps. What kite are you working with it on?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10 AM »

Thanks adx1592 (Devin)

I was that day flying my FW Soul because winds were around 18Km/h
But I have been trying this on the Soul, on the TalonUL and on the new Aura.

So I will try this tip next time I'm out in the field.
Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17 AM »

Keep this in mind as well.  Apply slight tension when the nose is pointing up to rise the fade.  Slightly de-tension when the nose is starting to point down in order to flatten the fade again or lower it. 

The key is that you need to maintain some line tension - no slack.  It's small/subtle/gradual movements and much easier in clean wind than the bumpy stuff.

Good Luck,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:53 AM »

Keep this in mind as well.  Apply slight tension when the nose is pointing up to rise the fade.  Slightly de-tension when the nose is starting to point down in order to flatten the fade again or lower it. 

The key is that you need to maintain some line tension - no slack.  It's small/subtle/gradual movements and much easier in clean wind than the bumpy stuff.

Good Luck,
-Tom

Yes thanks. I do try to apply that.

But remember that, the distance between theory and practice is larger in practice than in theory...   Roll Eyes   Sad

Cheers!  Smiley

In my bag...
jaydub

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Wait til the wind drops to about 8km/h and have a go with the Talon UL.  ULs tend to less pitchy than standards and hold a fade better.

Or maybe even try the Aura in less wind.

You will struggle with most kites to hold a steady fade in 18km/h.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29 AM »

working the rising fade is the only time I keep my hands at my chest (a REALLY  old timer Glen Rothstien hooked me on that) What works for me besides the info above is to wiggle the wingtips back and forth a bit. either Lam or Tom P helped me with that. I think I have a vid somewhere I will look

have fun kurt
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41 AM »

OK I will try all that.

Yes, I guess strong wind makes reactions too fast to control well.
I was lately trying to keep my hands at the sides and was working quite nicely.
Before that I would place my hands together in front of me as if I wanted to keep them visible to better control the kite.
One could also say I was praying to Eolos to help me in getting the fade...  Wink

So I'll try the chest blockage and compare.
Cheers.

In my bag...
ko

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I like this one as it shows how little movement is needed
if the wind is cooperating
Fade Tutorial
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:20 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
alien

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:18 AM »

So I'll try the chest blockage and compare.
Cheers.

Go easy on the blockage Ara,
at 47 you need to keep your chest unblocked,trust me on that!
Mama is in the zone great video,INSPIRING,thanks Ko............ Cool
Very good video to the point of"OH NO,MY NEW OBSESSION BEGINS"
Good one Ara?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:31 AM by alien » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Good one alien.
 Smiley

So 47 huh? But I feel 18  Wink

In my bag...
trigger

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:46 PM »

on the east coast now. Was trying to get to the beach tonight for a night fly and some video for the challenge.  it seems that mother nature doesnt like me or somebody (RobB) used up all the wind on the other side of the sound.  I will get some video this week though.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
RobB

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 07:49 PM »

The wind was kickin' 10-15mph out of the south all day today. I don't know what's up with the lack of wind on the other side of the Sound... Seems like it's been doing that all summer. Blow off the family & catch the first ferry down in the morning... It's supposed to be 5-7mph wind, onshore in the morning. I'm going out until I get burned !   Cool

trigger

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:27 AM »

sounds awesome! if it wasnt for my father in laws 60th today id be there! just checked the Bug... 1mph right now..ahhhh

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:31 AM »

So I think my main issue is in general crummy winds.

I went to the beach this last Saturday and the breeze was very light but reasonably steady.
I managed to do quite a few fades with my Aura.
I even got to do a rising fade which got me pretty much in awe...  Huh

I mainly got all fades through dip-flare-fade.
I still cannot control the fractured axel technique. I very often get a strange spin axel when I try to pull the kite into the fade...  Embarrassed

Also, once in the fade, I managed to do quite a few flic-flacs. I think I've got that one definitely in my repertoire  Grin

I was also trying out some backspins but I only got the kite to turn 180 and exit the fade.
A very nice exit indeed, but not what I was intending to achieve.

So all in all I'm getting there but I definitely need clean winds to support my learning process and stop my frustration process.  Wink

Cheers!

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document