My challenges

Pages: (1/4) > >>

Ara Ararauna:

Hi,

I haven't had much luck with wind inland. This weekend I went to the beach for a couple of hours and was a bit better although a bit strong.
So I took out my Soul.

I'm still having troubles getting the fade in a stable and consistent way. I get a good fade out of 20 attempts  ::)
I feel I am now getting better fades by doing a dip-flare-fade entry rather than through a fractured axel.

Once I get a fade I can now more or less do a couple of backspins. So I'm happy there.
Also I mannaged to do two AVFFFs in a row. So also quite happy there.

What I cannot get at all is the up-down control of the fade.
In general if I wish to stabilize the fade I must stand still to keep it in place. Sometimes I must walk towards the kite to avoid it entering a strong dip.
But if I try to rise the fade by pulling slowly and lightly, the kite immediately dips down and I have to quickly recover to avoid a nose dart on the ground.
Something is escaping me and I don't know what it is...

Mind you, I obviously have no video proof of anything I'm explaining. It is too dangerous to leave my camera (mobile) a certain distance away from me to record my flying. So I think I'll never be able to get all this on video...  :(

As always I'll keep practicing...
Cheers

adx1592:

Fades, like sideslides, are probably the most finicky thing to control in the entire trick repertoire. When getting a fade to rise, I'd try doing nothing but keeping the hands steady and walking backward ever so slightly and steadily. I wouldn't 'pull' anything really, I'd do it all with my feet. Try that, and see if it helps. What kite are you working with it on?

Ara Ararauna:

Thanks adx1592 (Devin)

I was that day flying my FW Soul because winds were around 18Km/h
But I have been trying this on the Soul, on the TalonUL and on the new Aura.

So I will try this tip next time I'm out in the field.
Cheers.

tpatter:

Keep this in mind as well.  Apply slight tension when the nose is pointing up to rise the fade.  Slightly de-tension when the nose is starting to point down in order to flatten the fade again or lower it. 

The key is that you need to maintain some line tension - no slack.  It's small/subtle/gradual movements and much easier in clean wind than the bumpy stuff.

Good Luck,
-Tom

Ara Ararauna:

Quote from: tpatter on July 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
--
Keep this in mind as well.  Apply slight tension when the nose is pointing up to rise the fade.  Slightly de-tension when the nose is starting to point down in order to flatten the fade again or lower it. 

The key is that you need to maintain some line tension - no slack.  It's small/subtle/gradual movements and much easier in clean wind than the bumpy stuff.

Good Luck,
-Tom

--

Yes thanks. I do try to apply that.

But remember that, the distance between theory and practice is larger in practice than in theory...   ::)   :(

Cheers!  :)

Pages: (1/4) > >>