GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seeking advice on next acquisition  (Read 1285 times)
jaharris1701
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 22, 2013, 05:17 AM »

hello gang, first post here and I will say I've been cruising the site here for a while and finding a lot of useful info on this wonderful site you all have here !!  Grin
I'm relatively new to stunt kiting but have seriously caught the bug !! I LOVE the sensation of carving up the sky and feeling the pull of the wind !!
I currently live in Central Florida's East coast near Daytona Beach, I work at a hobby shop which stocks Prism and HQ kites and I currently own a Prism Quantum, nexus and 4D but I'm looking to acquire a kite to take things to another level and grow into and keep for years to come,, of course I could probably get another Prism kite but was thinking of getting something different and I don't really want to spend alot of money, I could get a good deal on a Hypnotist since we stock them but was considering the Skydog kites mainly due to the reviews Ive been reading as well as the price ranges so I was wondering what you experienced members here would recommend, Ive been cruising the sponsor banners to the right and theres alot of great choices in the under $225 range,, what are your thoughts ?
It seems that the Widowmaker is an overwhelming favorite, advise to save for that ? Skydog ? or any other advise would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks in advance gang !! much appreciated and this site ROCKS !!

Jim

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35 AM »

I'd also recommend that you get together with other fliers in your area and fly some of their kites. There should be several or at least several kite festivals coming up in a couple of months.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
jaharris1701

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:42 AM »

Thank you Todd,, I certainly look forward to doing that, we just had a big festival about 4-6 weeks ago, I missed it cause I had to work  Embarrassed looking forward to the next one !! I know "try before you buy" is always the best route  Wink

Jimmy Buffet
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:42 AM »

The new Widow NG from premier is awesome! Great deal for the money.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:09 AM »

If you work in a HQ shop I would definately say have a good look at the HQ Maestro 2 - It is my current main kite.  It can do pretty much every trick in the book , has a very wind range and is well put together -  At around $170(?) it's a great buy.  It's great straight out of the bag but it can be easily modified to make it even better - it takes about an hour and uses the stock parts.

Flown by an expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBK6CCliYY

Flown by a hack (me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cqTGiNzrg

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
jaharris1701

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:52 AM »

man,, that looks like a "clone" of the widowmaker  Cheesy looks like a decent kite for the money and its in my range that I'm looking to spend  Wink

Jimmy Buffet
jaharris1701

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:56 AM »

If you work in a HQ shop I would definately say have a good look at the HQ Maestro 2 - It is my current main kite.  It can do pretty much every trick in the book , has a very wind range and is well put together -  At around $170(?) it's a great buy.  It's great straight out of the bag but it can be easily modified to make it even better - it takes about an hour and uses the stock parts.

Flown by an expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBK6CCliYY

Flown by a hack (me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cqTGiNzrg

that looks like a great flyin kite !! we don't have the maestro in stock though,, I do have a Salsa II as well as the Jive II in stock ,, my first impressions though are that the Prism kites are of better quality ,,I haven't flown an HQ though, personally I steer most potential customers towards the Prism line in which Ive had decent success with  Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:56 AM by jaharris1701 » Logged

Jimmy Buffet
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 07:26 AM »

It's tough to go wrong with a Prism for beginner and intermediate flying. They are built very well built but also Prism has always seem to do a lot of testing to make sure they fly well and last.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:06 AM »

man,, that looks like a "clone" of the widowmaker  Cheesy looks like a decent kite for the money and its in my range that I'm looking to spend  Wink

It basically is. Jon T designs at skyburner and also does work with premier. That is essentially a widowmaker, with now newly changed graphics, thats built and constructed in a more affordable way so the price isn't crazy. Sweet kite for the money, comes with lines too.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Just back up the road from you in St. Augustine are a couple of great guys and very good kite flyers. Fireball Rob and Chef. I don't know if they still check in on this forum anymore but it would be worth getting in touch with them, both have some awesome kites you could probably try out. You could check the members section to see if they are still listed to get in touch with them.

What are you looking to do? just fly around or start learning all the tricks? That always goes a long way in deciding on a new kite. There are a lot of great kites available for either. The Widowmaker is a great kite that will be and feel a lot lighter on the lines that the Quantum. It's hard to beat a Talon for sheer fun and tricks. It's really hard to make a real bad choice these days but I would encourage you to expand past the Prism line of kites just to get some variety in your bag, it's fun to have a few different choices based on how you feel like flying on any particular day.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »

I don't think an intermediate could do any better than a Widow Maker. I've had mine for a few years, it's definitely made me a better flyer. Save a little longer, or post a wanted add for a used one. If the wind's 5-15mph, it's my goto kite for easy, trouble free flying.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 05:46 PM »

If you are up for it, you could always make yourself a Sixth Sense.  I hear its quite approachable  to do if you are detail oriented! 

Very capable and a nice slow flying and tricking speed which can be good when learning.  It feels like a big Nirvana to me (one thats been well tuned that is)

Tom
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:52 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
jaharris1701

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:00 AM »

Just back up the road from you in St. Augustine are a couple of great guys and very good kite flyers. Fireball Rob and Chef. I don't know if they still check in on this forum anymore but it would be worth getting in touch with them, both have some awesome kites you could probably try out. You could check the members section to see if they are still listed to get in touch with them.

What are you looking to do? just fly around or start learning all the tricks? That always goes a long way in deciding on a new kite. There are a lot of great kites available for either. The Widowmaker is a great kite that will be and feel a lot lighter on the lines that the Quantum. It's hard to beat a Talon for sheer fun and tricks. It's really hard to make a real bad choice these days but I would encourage you to expand past the Prism line of kites just to get some variety in your bag, it's fun to have a few different choices based on how you feel like flying on any particular day.
Thanks Keith, I will look into those members, St Augustine's not very far from where I work,
I think my intentions for my next acquisition is certainly to learn as much about tricking as possible, I think if I were interested in just flying around I would be content with what I already have,, I also agree in that I want to venture outside of the Prism line, there does seem to be an overwhelming amount of boutique kits available, the widowmaker seems to be one of the more talked about kites on this forum  Smiley thanks a lot for your input  Wink

Jimmy Buffet
jaharris1701

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:04 AM »

I don't think an intermediate could do any better than a Widow Maker. I've had mine for a few years, it's definitely made me a better flyer. Save a little longer, or post a wanted add for a used one. If the wind's 5-15mph, it's my goto kite for easy, trouble free flying.
Rob, I actually stumbled upon your videos on youtube while searching for videos on the widowmaker, I tried to contact you through youtube but apparently you didn't get my PM so its kind of funny that I made contact through his site  Wink man you are quite the pilot and I strive to be able to do what you do with kite !! that widowmaker really seems to be calling my name  Grin thank you very much for your input

Jimmy Buffet
jaharris1701

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:06 AM »

If you are up for it, you could always make yourself a Sixth Sense.  I hear its quite approachable  to do if you are detail oriented! 

Very capable and a nice slow flying and tricking speed which can be good when learning.  It feels like a big Nirvana to me (one thats been well tuned that is)

Tom
thanks Tom,, I've heard good things about the sixth sense kites too, wasn't aware though that construction was required, may have to investigate closer as I'm sure I will be acquiring many kites in my near future  Smiley

Jimmy Buffet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change