GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats up with the Prism forum ??  (Read 5375 times)
hawkerhunter
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59 PM »

What annoys me about all this was the lack of information. We still don't know if this was an unavoidable crash of the web site or if it was planned by Prism. If it was planned and intended then Prism should at least have had the decency to let people know what it was intending. If it was an unavoidable situation then forum members should have been kept in touch through other means. There is no way that a site could be down for this long as a result of a fault. This has to be an intentional move by the company which goes against the information that some of us were given earlier that the site would be up an running within a few weeks of its closure. This is not the way to treat your core supporters. I applaud Kurt for his continued support and praise of Prism but maybe its time to move on. I have.

Steve
Hadge

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33 AM »

you can always call Its not like prism isnt there. they seem to prefer it that way. Any questions about anything prism can be answered here anyway I am not saying loosing another site is not going to be missed. What I am saying is it's no reason not to buy Prism

I certainly agree with you that the loss of the forum is no reason not to buy Prism, my experience of dealing with Prism direct ( buying 4D spares into the UK) was excellent. However the forum was a good place for an informal chat and a place to swap ideas and it is missed. As Hawkerhunter said, it's the lack of information that is annoying.  HQ did the same thing a couple of years ago, one day a fairly lively forum next day they stopped everyone posting - no explanation at all.  If you have a good forum attached to a makers site it looks good to potential buyers where as a closed forum doesn't - I just hope it doesn't put people off buying their kites as it did seem to have an effect to some degree at HQ.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Captainbob

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 04:45 AM »

you can always call Its not like prism isnt there. they seem to prefer it that way. Any questions about anything prism can be answered here anyway I am not saying loosing another site is not going to be missed. What I am saying is it's no reason not to buy Prism

I certainly agree with you that the loss of the forum is no reason not to buy Prism, my experience of dealing with Prism direct ( buying 4D spares into the UK) was excellent. However the forum was a good place for an informal chat and a place to swap ideas and it is missed. As Hawkerhunter said, it's the lack of information that is annoying.  HQ did the same thing a couple of years ago, one day a fairly lively forum next day they stopped everyone posting - no explanation at all.  If you have a good forum attached to a makers site it looks good to potential buyers where as a closed forum doesn't - I just hope it doesn't put people off buying their kites as it did seem to have an effect to some degree at HQ.

Been using forums for years when I start a hobby or project and want to get in depth information from the users of gear that is involved, in fact I am a moderator on a company forum ( nothing to do with kites) . Browsing a forum for information is very different than contacting the company and talking to a sales rep or customer support person. My first Kite was an HQ, and I was very disappointed after the purchase to find that their forum was not functional anymore. I would not buy another HQ product because of that. My next kite was a Revolution, and one of the things that sold me on that product was the very active and extensive forum, that is well maintained. I believe, that in today's market, a company forum is one of the best sales promotion tools there are. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:48 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09 PM »

Those of you that know me know that I was a serious contributor on the prism forum for years I also tried to get it jump started.. I was informed by a mod sometime ago that it would be back SOOOO I did all that I could  Anyway most of the prism forum gang is here to answer questions the search function I believe is the greatest lose Reggies how to's were really nicely done and there was a lot if knowledge there
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:17 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
RobB

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28 PM »

Hey Kurt,
I archived Reggie's lessons in a Word document if you ever want to review them. It is sad to see another kite forum bite the dust, but hey, at least GWTW is still here.
I miss the Prism forum, and check every day to see if it's back up. It's still one of my 'home page' tabs in my browser. Well, at least I still have my Prism kites, and enjoy flying them once in a while.
~Rob.

Captainbob

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 06:54 PM »

Well I posted on their Facebook page a day or two ago about not being able to register for almost 2 weeks. Someone from Prism posted wanting to know what problem I was having, and what message I was getting, like he thought it was all working and only I was having a problem. I sent him a message telling him that basically it isn't working at all.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
RobB

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Hey Bob,
Like was mentioned above, just about everyone who was on the Prism forum is also on this forum. Any Prism type of questions can get answered here just as well as there. The Prism Facebook page is kinda dead, too. I'm surprised you got any answer at all, even though the answer was seriously mis-informed.
~Rob.

Captainbob

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 04:31 AM »

Hey Bob,
Like was mentioned above, just about everyone who was on the Prism forum is also on this forum. Any Prism type of questions can get answered here just as well as there. The Prism Facebook page is kinda dead, too. I'm surprised you got any answer at all, even though the answer was seriously mis-informed.
~Rob.

The person from Prism that asked me what problem I was having with their forum, sent another message to me yesterday via Facebook. He said that one of his projects at Prism, is to get the forum up and running and straightened out. Looks like they realize that this is a good tool for their company.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
ko

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26 AM »

If its not fixed by the time Kite Party rolls around I will BULLY Mark  until he submits LOL .. Hopefully this gets straightened out.. there are obviously a few here that would help it get back on its feet

have fun kurt
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34 PM »

first off ... my apologies. apparently there was some misunderstanding as to what exactly was going on with the forum. if my inattention to the forum caused grief I do apologize.
we are tossing ideas around as to the future of the forum. my concern is that someone that can speak for the company is involved in the forum. my role was as a moderator... basically to watch for spammers and inappropriate content. to be effective my feeling is that we need a company rep actively involved if the purpose of the forum is truly to support their products. covering a multitude of support options can be tough on a small operation but there have been some staffing changes that may allow for a broadened approach. something I will talk to Mark about.
I have been assured that the facebook page is being monitored http://goo.gl/veC5B5
but your best bet is either to call or to email.
I will have more info in the next few days. if you have suggestions make them here and I will pass this on to the powers that be.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Captainbob

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 04:15 AM »

first off ... my apologies. apparently there was some misunderstanding as to what exactly was going on with the forum. if my inattention to the forum caused grief I do apologize.
we are tossing ideas around as to the future of the forum. my concern is that someone that can speak for the company is involved in the forum. my role was as a moderator... basically to watch for spammers and inappropriate content. to be effective my feeling is that we need a company rep actively involved if the purpose of the forum is truly to support their products. covering a multitude of support options can be tough on a small operation but there have been some staffing changes that may allow for a broadened approach. something I will talk to Mark about.
I have been assured that the facebook page is being monitored http://goo.gl/veC5B5
but your best bet is either to call or to email.
I will have more info in the next few days. if you have suggestions make them here and I will pass this on to the powers that be.

Just an opinion, but I am a moderator in a manufacturers forum that deals in recumbent trikes.  Many technical questions are posted on the forum from customers, many of which are answered by other owners of the products, as soon as they are posted. My job is just to stop spammers, from  new posters and trolls.  When a  question  can't be answered by the members of the forum, the members almost always tell the  OP to contact the support people at the company. This accomplishes two things:

1. If it is an answer that the forum members can handle, the posters gets the information they are seeking  pretty quickly, sometimes in a few hours from their posting their question. Also if the poster is researching possibly buying a product, they can get current owners honest opinions of that product, which is a big plus for sales. Minor problems can also be quickly resolved. Much easier to get your answer this way, most times, than contacting the company by phone or email, which is less convenient.

2. If it is something only the company rep can resolve, then the suggestion to contact the company tech people from the other forum members  will usually be suggested.  Since most of the questions are handled by the forum members, the number of calls that the company tech people have to deal with are greatly reduced.

This system as worked for this very successful company for years, and customers and prospective customers appreciate the forum, as proven by their frequent positive comments on the forum. Many cite the forum as a decision maker for eventually purchasing that brand.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:24 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
damp_weather

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45 PM »

Captainbob,

I think that is how the Prism forum used to work for a long while.
...Mark Reed or another Prism staff member would post occasionally, but in recent years they were few and far between.
...And the results appeared to be the benefits you cite.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14 PM »

that is indeed the way the forum operated.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
hawkerhunter

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 05:21 AM »

It looks like the peer pressure has had an effect. There is now some movement on the Prism site albeit it is showing in maintenance mode only.
Captainbob

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14 AM »

It looks like the peer pressure has had an effect. There is now some movement on the Prism site albeit it is showing in maintenance mode only.

Looks like they are working on it...  Smiley Smiley

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum