GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ever search out the most desolate spot on the beach,, only to  (Read 29849 times)
jaharris1701
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2013, 02:39 PM »

have some family come within your flying lines and then break out a soccer ball and play right under and within your 85-100' lines ?  Roll Eyes Angry Angry
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:26 AM by JimB » Logged

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
Danceswithwinds

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Yes I think its called Magnetic Attraction of Kite. Angry
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11 PM »

...Oh yes....  Huh

...................and they bring their dog....... Roll Eyes

.......................................................................and their dog wants to 'play'... Angry Angry

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:14 PM »

I don't  get to beach  very  much  but    most  people  have  no clue   of  how  bad  they  may be  injured   by  a  fast  moving  sport   kite    when I  fly in land  and some one   parks   under my line  I  Politely as   possible  warn  them  they  are in danger    and  ask  them  to  give  me   just  few  Mins    to  land the kite   and    I move  else were

Good air always Bobby
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »

...and pitch a beach tent....

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37 PM »

A well placed lawn dart near them and a big oh-sh!t from you will help. Cool Shocked Angry
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:08 PM »

Whether its people on the beach or soccer players or whatever, I tend to think they have as much right to the space as I do. In many cases more right. And I'm taking up a hell of a lot more space than I have a right to (compared to the average user). A 100+ foot arc, even if only half the window, covers a lot of space.

Especially on a sports field, I'm the interloper. It's a facility made for ball sports, not some guy taking up half the field with a kite.

There are times when there is a ton of empty beach or five empty soccer fields or whatever. I tend to move myself rather then asking a family with kids to stop what they are doing and move.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:18 PM »

I agree with Allen, its easier to move myself than getting upset

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04 PM »

Yeh but the next kite out of the bag is the loudest:-\

Sine Metu!
jaharris1701

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:15 AM »

I agree with Allen, its easier to move myself than getting upset

Cheesy its not that I got upset, its just puzzling to me, it was a weekday, cloudy and overcast so there weren't many people on the beach, a huge expanse of beach in which to choose to park and literally this family decides to park within my range when they can clearly see me flying, we aren't talking young children here but teenagers, my concern is safety as st stated, I did have a nose dive and dude looked over at me like I did something wrong LOL I packed my kite and went to the other side of my vehicle only to find yet another newcomer,,, now I assume most kite flyers are laid back, go with the flow kinda people,, as I am but its still puzzling none the less  Cheesy

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21 AM »

its just puzzling to me

This topic has come up many, many times here on the forum, so you're not alone.  Smiley

Years ago, when I too was puzzled, I came to understand the main issue we have with civilians in this situation. We tend to think they understand (and are paying attention to) the situation. In fact, there is no way we can expect them to understand what we're doing, much less perceive any danger from a "kite". If they are paying attention at all they may have seen you do a controlled take off and a (hopefully) controlled landing, but have paid no attention to what the kite is doing in the sky or the amount of real estate needed for satisfactory flying. Why should they know any of this? What we are doing makes perfect sense to us, but that's why we do it. The VAST majority of people out there have no innate sense for, or interest in, the things that make this fun. They just don't "get it" and we cant expect them to.

Add to this things like that's where they've been sitting on the beach for years, or that's the soccer field the kids always play on, because the bigger kids play over there. We need to always pay attention to the fact that we are weirdos doing a weird activity and should expect to be treated accordingly. Occasionally we run into other weirdos who appreciate what we are doing, but that is pretty rare.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26 AM »

There's quite a few people that have nothing better to do than to go out and start bugging other people. Just to have something to do.

But then again, there's people that have a psychological disorder called "querulous paranoia" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Querulant).
This means that when they feel attacked by something, they go and take legal action against that. This is what their life is based on.
The problem is they insist so much that generally authorities tend to yield under their pressure.
Really sad but if you get trapped in their nets it can become a real nightmare...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 05:45 PM »

It has been puzzling to me too.

As said before it is the Magnetic Attraction of Kites  Small kids will run for the kite, adults and bigger kids drift closer and closer.  Most people don't realize they have gotten so close.

Living in the desert we have limited flying spaces, so moving is not always an easy option. Other times if I move they just drift over to my new location.   Angry

I have learn to just talk to people.  If they crowd in on your kite they are interested in kites. Talking is fun.   
  * People are surprised to learn that wind directions determines what direction I HAVE to fly in.
         so the whole park is not open to me.
  * Kites while pretty can be dangerous
  * Finding out the kites I'm flying cost over $300 has many move a little further away.
  * Ask them if they would like to try flying.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:47 PM by Wayner » Logged
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 11:11 AM »

It's really irritating, when another flyer sets up in your wind window. Typically its been Rev flyers. They don't seem to understand that Dual Liners have to move their feet. When a Dual Liner sets up in my window, its hard not to blow a gasket.

Jay
TJC

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 01:08 PM »

I had a children's soccer team show up on a general use field at a township owned sports complex. That got ugly.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum