GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 12:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how did YOU learn your "bag of tricks" ??  (Read 1464 times)
jaharris1701
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »

are you self taught ? did you learn mostly from flying with friends or others? The internet ? books ? all of the above ?
how long have you been flying ?
share some secrets  Tongue I've got a lot to learn  Tongue

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Keys to my "success".. (success defined as least time spent attemtpting to learn a new trick)

For the most part self taught or video based review. 
I have been flying since the mid 90s but only as casual hobby until just recently in early 2013 where now I am overly addicted to building and trick flying and can't seem to stop anytime soon. I think I am averaging 12-15 hours a week now flying.  Seems more like a part time job rather than a hobby as before!!!  Wink

I try to fly with another person - I fly with my oldest son who can provide another interpretation of a video based trick tutorial and provides moral support when frustration sets in.

I try to fly with the intention of refining existing tricks and introducing a new trick minimally - Every time I focused on one trick only my day flying was not fun at times, especially when winds were terrible.  I used to practice ground based tricks when winds were lowsy but there were times that if I focused on one trick that required good steady winds my day would be ruined immediately and then ultimately ending any potential practice on what I already knew and making those moves cleaner.

I carry a tablet loaded with reference videos from the internet -  This allows me to reference the trick I am trying to learn or just simply refresh the old brain as to what heck I was trying to do when i decided to go flying that day.   Cheesy

By no means does any of this information guarentee any success nor is it any bible to kite flying but just my own personal input to maybe help you out.  May you find steady winds!

PS Here is my current bag of tricks where 4 months ago I knew none at all.

Half Axel
Backflip (Turtle)
Fade (33 secs current record haha)
Lazy Susan
Flic Flac
Snap Stall / Stop
Rolling Susan
2 Point Landing (Low altitude ground trick only, cost me two lower LEs trying higher speed power dives...  Cry)
Flapjack
Axel
Yoyo
Yoyo Take Off
Side Slide
Jacob's Ladder
Taz Machine (sorta lol, still not smooth enough to look as good as it should)
Backspin
Multi Lazy
Double Axel
Multi Yoyo (double wrap only, sometimes triple when its falling out of the sky lol)
Cynique

Sixth Sense STD Pro has made many of these tricks possible for me also.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:01 PM by Lou » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I think that the best way to learn tricks is some combination of the below:
* watch the Randy and Mamas videos, and audioRobs for the comete
* fly a ton until you can completely control your kite 
* fly with others that can trick, observe them, and ask for tips
* practice practice practice

Once you get a trick, its seems easy after that, you wonder what took you so long!

Finally,

I like to mix in what I know with what I'm learning.  I think this is good because you don't get bored from failing at the new trick and you also learn to combine the new trick with what you can already do which I think helps to learn it.  Also, the 'reflection time' allows you to vary your attempt in order to improve it.

Also, you never stop learning to make it smoother and cleaner.  Total control and grace before, after, and during the trick makes it seem like magic.

Good luck!

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Most of the kites I enjoy flying have a fairly limited "bag of tricks" so over 15 years I've ended up with a bag of tricks very much like my favorite kites. I've learned by watching videos, generally only for the technique. When to do what and how much. Watching someone (and their kite) in real life teaches you a whole lot more about what makes a trick look good and how combinations fit together and how what a particular flyer does is very different from what you might do. There's more than one way to skin a cat and there is more than one way to do any given trick. Understanding those differences can teach you a lot.

Watching someone (and their kite), if they are good, helps a lot with understanding what looks right and what looks sloppy. Clean, precise, execution, speed control, improvisation, intentionality are the intangibles you don't get from a lot of videos.

Of course this is a mostly solitary activity (even on a field full of flyers, it's just you and your kite) so how you enjoy what you do is most important. If you really get a kick out of a certain move, even though it's not "correct", then enjoy it. Building up a personal style is based on a lot of "I want to do it THIS way"

Developing a satisfying style is important for long term engagement with sport kiting. A style or personality in your flying may be obvious to others at some point, but is an internal thing first and foremost. Do what you want to do and make it your own.

So, because I like to fly specific types of kites in a specific way, my bag of tricks is rather limited. One thing about having few tools, you get pretty good with them.

The tricks I would be happy to do in front of a crowd as part of a routine would be:

Flat, slow axels
Flat, slow 540s
Side slides
Flick flacks
Fades

When just fooling around with a newer kite, I enjoy:

Lazy Suzys
Jacobs Ladders
Backspins or barrel rolls

I've owned a wide range of modern kites and at one time or another I've practiced a number of modern tricks but i tend to get bored with current kites. They don't fit with the way I like to fly, with my style.

Allen, AKA kitehead
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Everything that I've learned to do on a kite I've taught myself in the trick category. Jon T helped me (ok, made me) fly precision when I was little and I was so small back then I didn't quite get the concept of discipline, or I probably wouldn't of flown a square until I came back to kiting after a few year break.

The best thing I can tell you is outside of absorbing whatever you can, just dont give up on anything. Thats really all I can say. Eyes on the prize. PrizeS?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
jaharris1701
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:27 AM »

thanks for all the input here so far fellas  Wink as stated in another thread, I work in Daytona Beach at a hobby shop, we sell Prism and HQ kites, so I come into contact with a lot of enthusiasts, which is what really got me going in this venture, I'm literally  minutes from the beach, so Ive been going over quite often after work and work on my own tricks, Ive only been flying a short time and after watching videos on youtube realize I have ALOT to learn, but I LOVE a challenge and that's what drives me  Wink I currently own 3 Prism kites, which I feel may not be the best when tricking comes to mind so I'm looking to acquire another kite soon, many recommendations were given in yet another thread,, I'm very much looking forward to that venture  Grin thanks again for the input and so happy to have found this community of enthusiasts !!  Wink

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:29 PM »

thanks for all the input here so far fellas  Wink as stated in another thread, I work in Daytona Beach at a hobby shop, we sell Prism and HQ kites, so I come into contact with a lot of enthusiasts, which is what really got me going in this venture, I'm literally  minutes from the beach, so Ive been going over quite often after work and work on my own tricks, Ive only been flying a short time and after watching videos on youtube realize I have ALOT to learn, but I LOVE a challenge and that's what drives me  Wink I currently own 3 Prism kites, which I feel may not be the best when tricking comes to mind so I'm looking to acquire another kite soon, many recommendations were given in yet another thread,, I'm very much looking forward to that venture  Grin thanks again for the input and so happy to have found this community of enthusiasts !!  Wink

Wow your about 30 minutes away from me if your in Deltona.  We should meet up sometime and fly at the beach.  I'm usually local to my park in Winter Gardens or down in Cocoa.  John from Kitestop has a Central Florida Kite Club you may be interested in.  I will also have to stop on in at your shop and check out what you have in stock.  Nice to meet you by the way.
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:44 PM »

What are those videos and where can they be found?

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:56 PM »

What are those videos and where can they be found?

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/tutorials/randygs/
http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/tutorials/tricks-party/
http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/tutorials/mama74/

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:10 PM »

Thanks.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Randy's videos used to be formatted to put directly onto an iPod so you could watch them at the field, but i guess that specific formatting is not necessary any more.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum