GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Point Landing - Dual line kite  (Read 3083 times)
AMartin
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 24, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Ok I've been searching for instructions or a step by step tutorial on how to perform a 2 point landing.  The most I got was this video, which shows a guy doing it over and over again.

2pt Studies

Cool vid but his hands move so fast I can't seem to get the whole thing down.  I have been trying this for a little while now and the best I can do is get a stall a bit off the ground.  I've walked it forward and it floats down but I can't seem to get the snappyness I see others do when performing the 2 point landing. Can someone either direct me to or provide a good step by step on doing the 2 point landing in the middle of the window?

Thanks in advance

Augustus
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:42 PM »

Can you do a crispy half-axel?

If so, just fly down and down that when you get near the ground.

Usually, you do a half axel horizontally.  So, fly across the window and half-axel to turn around and fly the other direction.   I imagine it this way -  you could do that same half-axel against the side of a house at the turning point and it would basically be a 2 point landing.

The kite does not care which direction it is flying, so you can also fly straight down and essentially half-axel into the ground.

Good luck,
-Tom

6 kite tom
AMartin
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Can you do a crispy half-axel?

If so, just fly down and down that when you get near the ground.

Usually, you do a half axel horizontally.  So, fly across the window and half-axel to turn around and fly the other direction.   I imagine it this way -  you could do that same half-axel against the side of a house at the turning point and it would basically be a 2 point landing.

The kite does not care which direction it is flying, so you can also fly straight down and essentially half-axel into the ground.

Good luck,
-Tom

Thanks much!  I never thought about it like that but it makes sense to me.  I'll try it and let you know how that works out.

- Augustus
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Great explanation.
This is how I'm trying to do them.
I say "trying" because I sometimes do them too high so I just get the kite to fly up again... Roll Eyes
Or I do them too low so I kind of uglily crash the kite onto the ground... Sad
I've managed to do it two or three times in the past two months and the feeling is like: "hey everyone! Did you see that?! It was me..." Cheesy
But obviously there is nobody to say that to... Wink

It is strange though. I can do half axels without problems. But when the kite is going down my hands sort of refuse to do the same movement and they make a mess...
As always... Practice, practice & practice.
Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06 PM »

Poor ground wind, which is what I have where I fly, can cause problems with tip stabs and good landings.

on the beach, it's so much easier and more satisfying.

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:40 PM »

there is a good video on here of a two point landing: http://v2.2.kiteclique.com/tutorials/tricks-party/

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:21 PM »

Poor ground wind, which is what I have where I fly, can cause problems with tip stabs and good landings.

on the beach, it's so much easier and more satisfying.

+1

Sine Metu!
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:03 AM »

Tried Tom's suggestion today as I've never had much luck with 2 point landings. The problem I've found is that half axels side to side are easy but when I try doing a half axel into the ground my brain starts screaming CRASH and puts my arms into panic mode ! Huh

I managed a couple of scruffy ones ( and lots of spectacular nose dives) but it does work...I've just got to do a bit of brain (re) training! Embarrassed

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
jecko

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10 AM »

You could try flying down diagonally and do a snap lazy and pull both line immediately.  Gradually increase the angle and fly straight down once you get the timing right.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:26 AM »

Tried Tom's suggestion today as I've never had much luck with 2 point landings. The problem I've found is that half axels side to side are easy but when I try doing a half axel into the ground my brain starts screaming CRASH and puts my arms into panic mode ! Huh

Yep! That's exactly what I experience...  Embarrassed
Our brain can have the strangest blocks.

I managed a couple of scruffy ones ( and lots of spectacular nose dives) but it does work...I've just got to do a bit of brain (re) training! Embarrassed

So what I've tried to do is: Do four or five half-axels on the left side of the window to get those hand movements deep in my brain. WARNING: I DON'T do the symmetrical half axels on the right. I just smoothly turn the kite on the right to repeat the half-axel on the left. Otherwise I forget the hand movements.
Once I have banged those movements into my coconut, I then try to dive the kite and repeat the hand movements, almost blindly. Without paying attention to the fact that the kite is going down!
Just, at some point, do the hand movements and wish for the best...
I feel I'm getting better results with this strange method.
The issue now is timing.
At which height should one do the hand movements...
Usually I do them too high, so at least I don't crash the kite.
 Roll Eyes

Just my twopence...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:17 AM »

So what I've tried to do is: Do four or five half-axels on the left side of the window to get those hand movements deep in my brain. WARNING: I DON'T do the symmetrical half axels on the right. I just smoothly turn the kite on the right to repeat the half-axel on the left. Otherwise I forget the hand movements.
Once I have banged those movements into my coconut, I then try to dive the kite and repeat the hand movements, almost blindly. Without paying attention to the fact that the kite is going down!
Just, at some point, do the hand movements and wish for the best...

Thats just what I ended up doing and it seemed to help.  Today wasn't the best of days as the wind was coming from behind some trees so I had good wind at 60' and dead air at 10' so just as I started the half axel the kite didn't have enough wind to complete it......I'll try again on a better day.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:20 AM »

Keep at it, it will come.

To give credit where it is due - Lam was the first that told me to think about the 2-pt landing this way.

-Tom

6 kite tom
jaydub

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49 PM »

I learnt if from this Eolo tutorial:

http://eolo.com/en/multimedia/tutorial/two-point-landing.html
alien

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17 AM »

jaydub,
great video,thanks.
My two point crash landings should be a tad smoother now.
                                         Smiley
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 01:52 PM »

I don't like this method based on getting the kite into a turtle and then pulling to land the two tips. I find it quite "dirty" in the sense that it does not look like a polished trick.
I prefer the one based on a "half-axel". It looks sharp even when not 100% well executed.

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document