GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to tension a LE?  (Read 4131 times)
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Got the other one, too. Have it bagged up and ready to go out tomorrow. Forecast is for sun and a steady 5mph wind, which sounds just about right.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 12:47 AM »

I've found using a length of suitable cord/line helps, I've even used the elastic that used to be used to tension edges. Slip it through the loop and use it to get a better grip. It especially helps that first time with a brand new kite and I find the method easier to manuever then grasping that short pigtail. No knots, just pull the cord out once done.

Some people have mentioned using the upper spreader to get a better grip, but that would require stretching things even further, my method adds very little additional stretching.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 06:46 AM »

I always put together the LE's first, then put the nose on the ground (for leverage) and bend the LE (kind of like an archery bow) while pulling the tension lines to slip it over the nock. Seems to work really well for just about every kite.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 04:27 PM »

Me too bend the LE before slipping the tensioning lines over the nock, but I use a 10 cm (4 in) long rod put between the two knots just to have more grip. I made some rods with spare parts of frames i.e. some P100/200/300 or what you have available. Also a spare LS ferrule will work.
dyfrgi

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 11:38 AM »

I've been doing the same thing with the rod when I have to tension it again. I think it has loosened up a bit over time, too. I no longer worry about having to break the leading edge, though I still don't do it every time I pack up.
liz whiz
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26 AM »

thanks for the instructions. I just got my E3 as a birthday gift. after about 15 years not flying I was totally confused  Grin   So the pictures on the thread really really helped
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06 PM »

Cable ties are great for tensioning LE's plus they slide out nice and easy when you have the cord in place.

You dont even need to mate the ends & waste the tie either unless its very taught.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document