GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless Devil Tattoo  (Read 1835 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: July 21, 2013, 09:30 PM »

Just came back from Vancouver and Lam personally handed me over the Fearless Devil Tattoo.  I tested flying this kite today and wow, this kite indeed has even a lower wind range than my Fearless SUL.  This kite will fly as long as you can feel the gentle breeze.  Compared to the Fearless SUL, the Tattoo requires a lot less footwork to keep the kite in the air.  At such the low wind, I would imagine anything will not be able to fly but the Tattoo.

Rudy
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37 PM »

I tested flying this kite today and wow, this kite indeed has even a lower wind range than my Fearless SUL.

According to the manufacturer the F SUL already has a minimum wind speed of 1 mph, which is less than most people can feel (and anything less than a hot-wire anemometer won't be able to measure properly).

Notwithstanding this you're claiming it goes even lower than 1 mph. Does it go negative perchance ?  Shocked

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Mike.

Think of it not as 1 mph, it's almost 18 inches/second.

Of course, walking back at 2 mph might help that 1mph wind speed.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55 AM »

I own both ... actually I purchased two Tattoos because its so unique in its flying style in extremely low winds. It's a delicate kite so I do not do many wrap/unwraps with the kite. Maybe one per session and let the wind unwrap it with no pilot pull just a step back. Again the main difference is in the Jacobs Ladder in which you need a slight pull instead of the pop to complete this rotational trick. I basically fade it and do backspin cascades. It's afloater for me ... unquestionably a lower wind window than the TSUL ... some say its the best lowest wind trickster ... but then we get back to what does Europe have similar to the Tattoo? Wink Cheesy Grin. I tried the Double Zero ... NOT EVEN CLOSE as its a typical SUL flyer.
On a rare ocassion I will pull out the Benson Inner Space which mimics in loft to the Tattoo just to give you an idea how little wind the Tattoo requires ... maybe a very slight edge to BIS. I like the BIS for lock in fades and 540's. It's limited to rotational tricks ... of course ... but a great floater. No point given a decimal wind range to the Tattoo ... you simply need to try it and judge for yourself.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:18 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:23 AM »

I fly my Tattoo with the 3pt spreaders, and it still flies in similar low wind to the HQ Shadow, but in a much more refined trickable way. It will fly in lower wind with the 2pt spreaders, but I reserve my Sea Devil SUL for that kind of wind, and choose to fly the Tattoo in sloppy low wind inland conditions. With the 3pts, it will fly in up to 10mph of wind.

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:50 PM »

Just came back from Vancouver and Lam personally handed me over the Fearless Devil Tattoo.  I tested flying this kite today and wow, this kite indeed has even a lower wind range than my Fearless SUL.  This kite will fly as long as you can feel the gentle breeze.  Compared to the Fearless SUL, the Tattoo requires a lot less footwork to keep the kite in the air.  At such the low wind, I would imagine anything will not be able to fly but the Tattoo.

Rudy

I think i can easy challenge that claim Smiley

On a more serious note, people vastly understate the given wind. If you actually measure it with a accurate instrument, you will be surprised how much wind your kite actually needs.

Plus there is the whole think of the definition of flying.
What is meant by it?
Does the kite stays in the air on its own? Can it fly straight up without pilot movement? Or does it means the pilot can keep it just in the air without falling over from exhaustion?
The range is very wide and not many manufactures are clear or even honest with the wind range of their kites.
A Thor's hammer can be flown indoors, does it means it has a wind range starting at zero?
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:01 PM »

I am 100% sure the instrument will measure close to 0mph of wind because the Tattoo can pretty much fly by virtual wind.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:03 PM by rudyy » Logged
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:49 AM »

I agree ae its whatever you are use to and only personal experiences can provide the correct choice of kite or confirmation from a group of kiters discussing their recommendation or #1 choices. The word I got from the STREET was the Tattoo can fly below the general requirements of a typical built CUSTOM LEVEL SUL. So I tried it and verified it - tried it in terms of just standing in one spot on an extremely low wind day and the only thing that went up for me was a Benson Inner Space and the Tattoo and a Transformer SUL needed some back peddling or was barely up in the upper window or apex and struggling. Remembering Lam built the TSUL to be a bit smaller and quicker than most custom kites like his previous Fearless line. Of course going from 50'/60'/75' helps. I did do a Benson IS/Tattoo comparison with a slight edge to the BIS. The point here is what kite can do the full suite of tricks at this low level of wind as many low wind flyers are simply LIMITED rotational trick flyers like the BIS. It would be great to see a Europe counterpart to the Tattoo - I would buy it - I just LOVE LOW wind flying - particularly in the summers late at night around dusk on the beach - although for me its in the mornings due to family commitments at night (ie., dinner from 6-8PM after a day at the beach). I tried the Double Zero and Ghost - both fail this above test with the BIS and Tattoo. Give me another recommendation?

APJ
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:03 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 12:09 PM »

john..you just need Andre's Spectre!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ae

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20 PM »

Well, it depends on what you want to do at the extreme low end.

If you are satisfied with just zen like flying and the occasional rotation trick, i will be so bold and say nothing beats my Spectre XUL. It is designed to fly with the least amount of pilot work at the lowest winds, tricks where entirely secondary, but some can be gently petted out of it.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10067.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8388.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7274.0

If you want to do more or all tricks, kites like the
NGR Zero, UL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Nb8bBiJoI

TNT Zero,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTmvN0hPmA

HUGO Sul
Vyron SUL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84PDgiXwNpc

will do the trick, but they do need more wind.

On the small kite front,
PAWs Buteo,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cOaNzlNkw

Spiderkites Siron
will work in very little wind as well, but they to need wind.

Or indoor kites like the amazing, sweety etc, but then those are indoor kites and are not really balanced for flying on long lines under wind.

Of course there are more kites, some are no longer made, like the TrickTail megalight and so.
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53 AM »

From your list I never heard anything negative of the TNT Zero.

This Spectre XUL at 2.34 ounces and a 98.4" wingspan. Who is the primary U.S. connection?

If not who is overseas seller?

APJ

ae

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16 AM »

You have a PM john.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum