Problems with Premier sailboat delta

(1/3) > >>

SkyDancer:
Anyone have any experience with this 6.5-foot Premier sailboat delta?

It's advertised as very stable but we found it to be the opposite last night. It kept flying back and forth in larger and larger arcs until it finally nose-dove into the ground.

I suspect that the kite needed some extra drag to slow it down but we only had 10-12 mph wind. I didn't try putting more tail on it because a.) I think its supposed to fly without additional tail and b.) a long tail would disrupt the look of the kite. Adjusting the angle of attack wasn't an option because the flying line attaches to a single-point grommet in the keel.

At the same time on the same field, a Gomberg 7-foot delta flew flawlessly, pinned to the sky.

Has anyone else here flown the Premier sailboat and if so, what were your experiences?

whitebirdlover:
Sounds like the tow point is too far back on the keel. Might be time to do a mod to add one or two forward of the factory position. Delta's should be relatively stable and that should have been a nice wind range.
You can use some dacron or even duct tape folded and fastened to both sides of the keel to find a good tow point and then make a permanent fitting.

boomertype:
How much line did you have out?
Some SLKs do the pendulum thing till they have a bit of line out. Sometimes that's 50+ feet and a long line launch is the only answer.
Most times deltas are stable, but some are more stable than others.
Does yours have rods that go the whole length of the leading edges or just partial.
If they don't go the whole length, they must be positioned to the ends, not the nose.

SkyDancer:
Quote from: boomertype on July 29, 2013, 06:05 PM

How much line did you have out?

Some SLKs do the pendulum thing till they have a bit of line out. Sometimes that's 50+ feet and a long line launch is the only answer.

We had close to 100 feet out by the time we gave up.

Does yours have rods that go the whole length of the leading edges or just partial.
If they don't go the whole length, they must be positioned to the ends, not the nose.

Leading edge rods are partial length and were along the bottoms of the leading edges.

rtennant:
My wife just bought me a prism stowaway and I had the same problem with it. I hooked a small aluminum carabeener in the center tail loop on the bottom edge and it straightened right up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page