GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decided to build Invictus 88! < NOW Finished except for Bridle!  (Read 1913 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: August 04, 2013, 09:49 AM »

I decided to go ahead and start building a scaled down Invictus while I wait for Davide to finalize his 'Supernova' plans! I decided on an 88% scaled down version. WHY 88%? I don't know exactly but I wanted something slightly larger than my SS85s but reduced enough to make a noticeable difference. Besides I88 just sounded kinda cool!  Huh

Will most likely be one of these with black, charcoal, grey, white, & probably red wingtips:

...I must have too much free time on my hands because after playing around a little more with different colors, I came up with these options to my original plans:

Red/White/Black is a great color combo but I already have several kites in that color combo.

Which one do you all like best?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:26 PM by photogbill » Logged
Lou

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:02 PM »

I like #3 from the Blue schemes.  I actually even more so like the 2nd image from the very top with the red accents.  Either way should be a fun project!
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 06:08 PM »

I like #3 from the Blue schemes.  I actually even more so like the 2nd image from the very top with the red accents.  Either way should be a fun project!

Thanks Lou! I just may go with 'another' Black/White/Red kite! Still deciding!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:23 PM »

blue 3
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 03:17 AM »

Red wingtips on any one of them for me............ Tongue
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 04:48 PM »

After copying & pasting a several potential color combos on a blue sky backdrop, I made my FINAL decision on my Invictus 88 color scheme! Call me crazy but I decided on an Indian Invictus 88 build!

It may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' but I've mentioned before how much I liked a friend of mine's Indian NFX Extend in flight & I'm tired of being jeolous of how much better his kite looks in flight than mine!  Huh

Anyway ...thanks for those that gave their comments/opinions on the earlier choices I posted!
Lou

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:30 PM »

After copying & pasting a several potential color combos on a blue sky backdrop, I made my FINAL decision on my Invictus 88 color scheme! Call me crazy but I decided on an Indian Invictus 88 build!

It may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' but I've mentioned before how much I liked a friend of mine's Indian NFX Extend in flight & I'm tired of being jeolous of how much better his kite looks in flight than mine!  Huh

Anyway ...thanks for those that gave their comments/opinions on the earlier choices I posted!

I like the Indian NFX Extend color scheme also.  Don't feel as if you need to explain why you like something.  It's your kite.. your materials.. do as you see fit.  What I will say about the Indian color scheme is that it works very well with the NFX because the sail pattern almost mimics fall season Indian Corn in my opinion.  It's like peppered colors.  The multitude of smaller cross paneled sections seems to make the colors pop and work better together IMHO.  The Invictus pattern seems to work better than say the Sixth Sense.  I think the more complex a sail pattern the better contrasting colors seem to work.  I'd even suggest modifying the sail to break up some of the longer runs of fabric.  Possibly checker some of the yellow and red areas with contrasting colors.  Just a thought but either way it will be nice to see an I88 when it's done!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:34 PM by Lou » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36 PM »

Thanks Lou! I agree with your 'analysis' about the 'Indian' colors as they relate to the panel layout! I'm also in agreement that those colors work better on the Invictus panel layout as compared to the SS ...however I did like how the SS85 turned out in the Indian colors!
iwan00

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 02:03 AM »

Hi,

If I may i would like to give You a little hint from my invictus75 experience.
- Leave a spare inch while cutting down LE spar - because it may be too short to tension the sail propperly
- try with little bit longer LS at the beginning - this little diference gave me more lift and less oversteer.

My own results (75%) was:
Scaled LE 1128,75mm - build LE 1170 mm
scaled LS 607,5mm - build LS 620 mm

I have also finished with single standoff in 2/3 between original positions but i this bigger modification and You Have to check it Your Own what is the best for You.

Wish You luck...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:11 AM by iwan00 » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:37 AM »

Blue #4!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19 AM »

Your Indian Invictus 88 really, really looks good!
photogbill

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30 AM »

Your Indian Invictus 88 really, really looks good!

Thanks! I used to make fun of that color combo until I saw a kite flying in a blue sky with those colors!  Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 03:47 AM »

I am not a lover of blue kites.

Don't hate them, just prefer contrast.

Your RYBk looks eyepopping to me.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
photogbill

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55 PM »

I am not a lover of blue kites.

Don't hate them, just prefer contrast.

Your RYBk looks eyepopping to me.  Smiley

Thanks John! I'm hoping it will fly every bit as good as it looks! Based on my experience with the full sized Invictus ...the full sized 6th Sense & the subsequent SS85 builds, I feel reasonably sure I won't be disappointed in the least!

I've already had the 88% full pattern pdf printed @ Kinkos and plan on starting the project tomorrow!
sztender

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16 AM »

http://latawce.phorum.pl/viewtopic.php?t=136
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9112.0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:39 AM by sztender » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change