GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beuna Vista Catalyst refurbishment  (Read 1481 times)
damp_weather
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 16, 2009, 04:25 AM »

Hi,

I have been trying to refurbish an old Buena Vista Catalyst, one with BUENA VISTA KITE CO. '97 "CATALYST"TM SF.CA.USA written on the sail along the leading edge near the left wing tip.

The kite was bought nearly 3 years ago as an ex-demo sales kite. It had seen some action, as it had a "professionally repaired" patched tear near its nose. Also thanks to Mike Emery and his review at KiteClique we discovered that the supplied .230inch (5.9mm) single lower spreader was almost certainly not original. So I replaced it with two part G-Force SUL, each spar being its default 82.5cm length. The Avia G-Force ferrule fits the centre-tee hole much better than the 5.9mm tube ever did.

The trouble is, that I am still doubtful that the kite is correct. The sail seems unusually tight, and so expect that perhaps the G-Force spars require shortening. Alternatively, perhaps the standoffs are the wrong length. Currently, on each side, there is a 3mm diameter 23.3cm long and a 2.5mm diameter 25.7cm long standoff. (Lengths measured between sail and surface of lower spreader.) - Which standoff should be nearest the spine? In use, the longer thinner one always bends to take the same space as the shorter one, regardless of which standoff is innermost.

- Anyway, I have flown it most with the longer standoff innermost. But regardless of which way round they are put, the flight characteristics don't seem that brilliant. I know that it is an old design, but the kite has none of the friendliness and basic trickyness that Mike alluded to in his review (albeit of a later) version. Currently its just far more work than any other large 2-line delta in our bag - no fun.

Could someone please let me know how the kite should be set up? - Particularly the lower spreader and standoffs. The bridle looks old, but then as it has relatively little wear perhaps it too was changed. But currently my money is on the lower speaders and standoffs as being the problem.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:31 AM by damp_weather » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27 AM »

the local gwtw Buena Vista guy is Rod247 out in hawaii....drop him a note...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:03 AM »

being an X catalyst owner, i remember the sail being pretty tight.
espically in the standoff area....

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
damp_weather

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:44 AM »

the local gwtw Buena Vista guy is Rod247 out in hawaii....drop him a note...
Thanks thief, I have emailed Rod.
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:14 AM »

1.  Gforce SUL, 32.5" is correct for LS
2.  Both stand-offs should be the same diameter - non flexible.  Inner Standoff is 10", Outer Standoff is 9" (total length from sail).
3.  US is 21.5"
damp_weather

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:38 AM »

1.  Gforce SUL, 32.5" is correct for LS
2.  Both stand-offs should be the same diameter - non flexible.  Inner Standoff is 10", Outer Standoff is 9" (total length from sail).
3.  US is 21.5"
Thank you pfouts.

- So my lower spreader and standoff lengths are correct!  (got mm and cm confused for standoff lengths in the original post - now corrected.)   
I think that my 10" standoffs flex partly because the load on them is greater than on the 9" standoffs, and partly because the 10" standoffs are using thinner 2.5mm carbon.

Hmmm, will have to try flying it again. - See if I can pin down the symptoms that suggest it is not set up correctly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change