GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Rev II stacking help  (Read 1109 times)
hydro18679
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: August 05, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Hello, Im new here, and I have been trying to find some good info on stacking some old Rev II's.  Ive been searching the forum, but I thought I'd just lay my situation out, and see what the best ideas are. 

I have 4 Rev II's that are pre 1997 cause they have the old logo.  They have the 2 spar leading edge and verticals that say Revolution Equipped, which i think are 4 wrap (verify?).  They all have rather thick black bridals (stock) but I dont know how strong. 

I've read as much as i can about creating pigtails and link lines, and how to set it all up. 

I need help choosing some bridal line for links and pgtails, a new line set, and possibly a new frame set.  I imagine I will be stacking more, like up to 8 someday, and what weight bridal line I should get. 

Here are my questions:
-Should the link lines be the same or does the front couple bridals need to be stronger for up to 8 rev II's?
-what weight should the bridal line be on the front kite?
-Do the pigtails need to be stronger than the link lines?  Is 200# overkill?
-should the frames be upgraded to stronger in the front kites or lighter in the back kites?
-would I need a heavy lineset like 200# or will 100# flying line (LPG) be suitable for winds 5-15mph?
-would it be better to get a really long set like 120' or would a shorter set work better for the stack?

Thanks for any expert advice!

Jeff

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Interesting you should bring this up.  I want to do the exact same thing - stack a bunch of old Rev IIs just to see what happens.  I will keep my eye on this thread  . . .

We should swap notes on sail colors too - maybe we can each create better looking stacks by collaborating.  Where are you located?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13 PM »

one of the forum sponsors (A Wind Of Change) carries pre-made stackking line sets for the REvs....
http://www.awindofchange.com/product/Rev-stacklines.html
Looks like 4.5' is the right length....

looks like there is a bit of info over on the rev forum: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stack+Rev+kites#seen

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
hydro18679

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:37 PM »

Thanks, but I know there are stacking line kits available that that they should be 4.5', and I am quite familiar with google!  Cheesy  I've been through the Rev forum you listed, but unfortunately, they dont discuss 4- 8 stack of Rev II's, bridle/link line strength, flying line strength, framesets, or any of the other questions I asked!  hehe
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:12 PM »

at my old shop we stacked rev 2s with 200# line and left the frames as is.....if you go over 10 kites you might think to upgrade the frames...but with solid 5 leg stacking lines the pull will be spread across the kites nicely.

the bridles on the older rev 2s were pretty beefy so i would trust them as is...

line length? your call...how big is your field....
remember to add the length of your stack now to your line length to get an idea of how big of an area you will need...that really depends on where you fly.....

line weight: if you are shooting to fly in above 10mph i would spring for 300# lines...you do not want to get yourself (And stack) into a situation where the lines are not strong enough and one line breaks...then you have a madly flying(?) stack out of control on three lines with you screaming along behind....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41 PM »

I fly a four stack of IIs on 100# in 15-20 mph beach winds and have not broken a line (yet Smiley). Remember there are 4 lines. If one should break the simple thing to do is let go of that handle, the kites will lay out and come to the ground.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:20 PM »

I made a progressive stack (II/1.5/I) awhile back and left the frames stock with the stock bridle on the front Rev II.  Link lines were I think #150 with #200 pigtails but it's been ages since I've looked at it.  I imagine if you were to try 8 Rev II's you might want to beef up the frame in at least the first kite.  I've flown my stack on both #150/#150 and #200/#200 linesets.
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Use 7 link lines between each kite, 5 top and 2 bottom. #100 should be sufficient for the link lines. Are you going to make them permanent? Watty and JB put a 5 stack of B2's together framed 3 wrap front and the rest 2 wrap. Ben at Revolution was offering a sweet deal on a 10 stack of B2's, might be worth getting in contact for some details.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
hydro18679

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:29 AM »

OK great, thanks for the help!  Looks like I got some bridle line on the way.  Gonna get some 200# flying line at 120'.  I will use the stock rev bridle on the front kite and rmove the bridles from all the others.  Gonna make some 1" pigtails from 140# bridle line and some link lines our of that too in the front.  might make some 100# link lines for the trailing kites if I add more than 4.  gonna tie up some knots when it gets here and see how it flies!  Ive got a solid flouro yellow, solid deep purple, pink with black tips, and pink with teal tips.  really looking for a solid hot pick Rev II or any solid color old Rev II to add to the stack.  I'll post some pics when I get it all together!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change