GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 12:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite fighting with sport kites?  (Read 1105 times)
etully
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: August 13, 2013, 08:34 AM »

Anybody ever intentionally do this??  A battle royale between two fliers, pitting their skills against each other to be the first to clip a towed paper streamer or force a grounding just might be an interesting way to compete.  I am sure everyone has a bag of kites for this kind of flying... I know I have at least three old crummy kites that would otherwise never fly again to use.   Tongue

Ed

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40 AM »

I've seen pairs routines which looked sort of like that.  Cheesy

Oh, yeah, that was MY pairs routine Roll Eyes

Allen, AKA kitehead
etully

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:37 AM »

Recently, my 9yo son was flying his (my) small Prism foil and I put up my quantum and we began to taunt each other until I knocked him out of the sky. I haven't laughed so hard in the last decade and a half.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:03 PM »

just keep in mind the amount of damage than can occur with sticked kites.....
if you did it with soft foils they would fare better with the impacts....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
timothymcmackin
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40 PM »

I've thought about that, but it would be like fighting a duel at ten paces with shotguns rather than pistols: very, very messy with lots of senseless destruction.

How about skeet shooting with sport kites? You could release balloons and pop them with a needle on the kite's nose.
etully

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44 PM »

just keep in mind the amount of damage than can occur with sticked kites.....
if you did it with soft foils they would fare better with the impacts....

Quite true, but the kites I'm thinking about would certainly have no great value (eg. my old 2200 cc or HQ Bolero) and could be repaired with duct tape and tree branches. Undecided

st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:28 PM »

I  would be more  worried  about  flying   spar  hurting some one  then  a  kite being broken or  destroyed

Good air always Bobby
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Used to do that with the real cheapies until a piece of shattered spar hit a passerby and stuck in his arm.  Foils do work better but IMO leave the battling to the fighter kites.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:44 PM »

We used to do some of that long ago. The point of the game is to avoid contact, but render the other players unable to fly like they want. Once you get to know your companion's flying styles, it's simply a matter of being where you think they will be wanting to go, before they get there. Sort of cut them off at the pass. Force a landing. Be oboxious while they are trying to trip you up too. Wrap someone's line, and then land on the edge. Once, long ago, a buddy of mine had just learned to fade really well, and he'd hold a fade for a really long time. We'd try to tip him. Later, he got into power kiting, and would fly behind us and mess up the wind. (yes, I'm talking about you, Kiteslinger Wink)  If you get 3 or 4 people flying abreast and not in a team, fun happens.
etully

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Everyone, thanks for answering my question.  I didn't realize spars would pose much of a safety risk (doesn't seem like they have enough mass to do so). I agree, fighting is best left to foils only.

Thanks

alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:06 AM »

Tangles man,TANGLES!

Shocked.... Embarrassed.... Sad.... Angry.... Cry.... Lips sealed
etully

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:55 AM »

Tangles man,TANGLES!

Shocked.... Embarrassed.... Sad.... Angry.... Cry.... Lips sealed

Just part of the fun i guess, unless you made the other flyer mad, then it'll be awkward. Lips sealed

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:08 AM »

sounds familiar....

Tron Lightbike Scene

We used to do some of that long ago. The point of the game is to avoid contact, but render the other players unable to fly like they want. Once you get to know your companion's flying styles, it's simply a matter of being where you think they will be wanting to go, before they get there. Sort of cut them off at the pass. Force a landing. Be oboxious while they are trying to trip you up too. Wrap someone's line, and then land on the edge. Once, long ago, a buddy of mine had just learned to fade really well, and he'd hold a fade for a really long time. We'd try to tip him. Later, he got into power kiting, and would fly behind us and mess up the wind. (yes, I'm talking about you, Kiteslinger Wink)  If you get 3 or 4 people flying abreast and not in a team, fun happens.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Jest_of_Eve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07 PM »

I had a memorable moment at Dunstable Kite Festival in silly winds. A trick-out comp was on and I was up against Roy Reed with his DS. I was trying to get a feel for the wind window before the round and the festival 'DJ' came up to me with a live microphone and started asking me questions....quite distracting.

He asked me about my kite (a Talon), I turned and said it was my own self-made kite; at which point my lack of attention 100ft away caused the Talon to collide with Roy's DS with a very loud crack! The DJ then said "That WAS your own kite" as it spiraled to the ground with a shattered LE!

Roy's DS? Totally fine. 1-0 to Benson there!  Cheesy

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36 PM »

There was a team here on the west coast a while back called Bumperkites.   Smiley

I know there have been other team names which refer to aerial mayhem, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Rather than actual aggression, maybe take the old kites and see what you can pull off skilz-wise. Plenty of satisfying breakage and liner tangling to be had.  Shocked  How close can you fly? How long? Wake turbulence can be enough to make the other guy flinch.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography