GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite fighting with sport kites?  (Read 1553 times)
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 04:33 PM »

I had a memorable moment at Dunstable Kite Festival in silly winds. A trick-out comp was on and I was up against Roy Reed with his DS. I was trying to get a feel for the wind window before the round and the festival 'DJ' came up to me with a live microphone and started asking me questions....quite distracting.

He asked me about my kite (a Talon), I turned and said it was my own self-made kite; at which point my lack of attention 100ft away caused the Talon to collide with Roy's DS with a very loud crack! The DJ then said "That WAS your own kite" as it spiraled to the ground with a shattered LE!

Roy's DS? Totally fine. 1-0 to Benson there!  Cheesy

Cheesy Great story!
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 04:43 PM »

There was a team here on the west coast a while back called Bumperkites.   Smiley

I know there have been other team names which refer to aerial mayhem, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Rather than actual aggression, maybe take the old kites and see what you can pull off skilz-wise. Plenty of satisfying breakage and liner tangling to be had.  Shocked  How close can you fly? How long? Wake turbulence can be enough to make the other guy flinch.

Allen, that is my vision...old shabby kites towing paper tails.  A cut tail or forced grounding would mean you lose.  I think if you put the contestants 150-200 feet apart with 100 foot lines...it would be interesting and certainly a test of skill and cunning not unlike boxing. And tangling lines, unless you had a plan, would be the worst thing a player would want to do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change