GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just recently got into single line stuff and have a few questions.  (Read 1787 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 05:02 PM »

I've been through his site many times over and his videos maybe twice, haa. He's who got me into single line in the first place with his videos.

Jim has great taste in kites.  Happy to see I have many of the same kites.

This may be the start of a life lone addiction  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Puttles
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23 PM »

It looks like the only thing in my budget is the centipede which I don't really like. I hate sounding picky, sorry. I want something large, something big enough you could hide under.
Wayner

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00 AM »

It looks like the only thing in my budget is the centipede which I don't really like. I hate sounding picky, sorry. I want something large, something big enough you could hide under.

I feel your pain.  While I like the price, don't care for the centipede either.

Better to save your money now and buy something your really like later.  I had to save for a couple of years to buy my small Gecko, but I do love it. It was worth the wait.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 10:35 AM »

Picky? Not even close. It's a lot of money (at least to me) so you need to get what you want/like. If you spent that kind of money on something you did not like you would be kicking yourself everytime you put it up. I'm with you... I like big bang for my buck when it comes to line laundry. Even though I'm putting it up for other people to see, I still need to like it as well.

I also like things on Gombergs site... things like the flag streamers. Big bang for a buck (still not really cheap). Even something like 10 transition tails would look cool. The can be placed 10' apart and 5 would cover 50' of line. You'd be able to do this on two different lines with 10 or even one line and all 10.  Perhaps 10 with 1 every 5' would look good as well. I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Wayner

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22 PM »

Todd's idea on transition tails (or tube tails) is a impressive visual effect.

I found this out by accident.  When at the beach people would walk by to look at the kites and some ran into the line (the big line laundry was up higher).  I put tails on the line at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 foot level to identify where the line was.  Was impress as the how good it looked and now do it often just for the look.
Puttles

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 04:44 PM »

I might try a bunch of tails, I already have a few tube tails. I still want something inflatable, haa. I talked to emmakites and they said they had some issues with payment from a few people and said I could order from them via email if I needed t.o an just give them a payment through paypal directly. I might try one of the octopuses on there instead of the other chinese website if you think they would be a bit better.
DD

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Inflatables are cool. I have a few hypno spinners that looked good and are fairly cheap.

Sine Metu!
Puttles

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 01:09 PM »

I just got some martins legs, a 6 foot shark windsock, and an HQ porcupine thing from a friend today for 40$. That should hold me for a bit, I am still looking for something decent sized for eye candy. I am looking at this octopus (5.5ft x 33ft):

this kite thats 4.2ft wide with a 164ft tail

and a few of these 24ft tube tails

all for cheaper than about 150$. Well in my budget range. If I can find a better paying job soon I should be able to afford something much, much bigger in half a year or so. If you have any suggestions of something a bit more "look at me!" for around 200$ tell me so, haa. I should be able to afford that in a few months with my current college student paying job. I figured I can put about 25-50$ a week into savings and still be able to live normally and pay for housing and tuition on time.
Wayner

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Sounds like you are making good progress on your collection  Grin

If you are debating is something is good enough, think about waiting and buying something bigger when your get some more money.

Bigger is always more impressive and costly.  So a few big pieces may work better than a bunch of small ones.   

Cant wait for you to send in pictures
Puttles

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 06:18 PM »

Yeah, haa. I thought I saw everything the first time, but going back I am finding new stuff. I still have time to pull in more hours and a little larger pay so I might be able to get something larger. I am ordering whatever I decide October 1st for a festival November the 9th.

Its Corpus Christi's inaugural kite festival and they surprisingly don't have a kite group already. I emailed the lady in charge of the committee for the fest and asked to meet up with her to get the info of the kite enthusiasts taking part and hoping to start up a group. Leaving a huge group in the Dallas/Fortworth area and going to a small area like Corpus is going to be interesting. All of this while nothing but a bicycle to get around, haa!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:02 PM by Puttles » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document