GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyers  (Read 1325 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: September 02, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Beginners - it's hard to describe.  Some guys go from not being able to keep the kite in the air to a reliable Jacobs Ladder in a year or 2.  Some take many years, some never get it.  Some can do it and more in 6 months.

What's the difference?  Well, in my experience, it's all about time on the lines and flying with more experienced flyers.  The experienced flyers don't even have to teach you - just watch what they do (osmosis).

There are many levels to this stuff, but I do see a turning point that I like to call the plateau where a flyer can reliably launch the kite and begin a set of tricks on demand in a variety of winds. This is where it starts, you can control the kite!  However, it's not about control if you are in anything  but perfect wind conditions!  Often it's very suboptimal and the experience of flyng in that prepares you to compensate and be able to fly and trick in a wider set of conditions. 

It can also be a dramatic change for an observer.  You go from wondering if the flyer even has control of the kite (often not in the early days) to recognizing that each move, trick, and change on direction is completely controlled even if chosen 'on the fly'.

It's a red letter date for a flyer dedicated to this art when other flyers can recognize the transition from 'keep it on the air' to freestyle bliss.  Then, the journey truly begins where you develop a style and choose kite based on what you want to do, rather on what they can do.  All styles are relevant : fast, sharp, slow and explicit, fast an nearly incomprehensible, it's all taste.

Anyhow, keep at it, and strive to define your style, in the end, it's what makes you an individual flyer and there's not much more refreshing than to see that!  Smiley

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:45 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:41 AM »

PIN BALL WIZARDS!
Thats how i would describe some freaks,they set up the next set of moves and dont even have to watch the kite!
I love all styles,fast and punchy,slow n smooth,tricky and technical "mechanical".
My style is a very defined one,

GUMBY... Embarrassed
I LOVE THIS SPORT....................... Tongue
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:45 AM by alien » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49 AM »

What's the difference?  Well, in my experience, it's all about time on the lines and flying with more experienced flyers.  The experienced flyers don't even have to teach you - just watch what they do (osmosis).

Totally agree with you Tom, as someone whose has had to learn on their own I know that input from experienced fliers would have made it much quicker for me.  Another big factor I would add is finding the right kite for you. Not necessarily the most expensive kite or the most popular kite, but the one that you really 'click' with. As an example, I love Tim Benson's kites and would love to have a bagful of them, but I can't fly them for toffee!..it's me not the kites.  Finding the right kite can take a long time and cost a lot of money...as I know too well.  The bag I've ended up with may not be anything special, but all kites I really get on well with and that makes a big difference.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52 AM »

Beginners - it's hard to describe.  Some guys go from not being able to keep the kite in the air to a reliable Jacobs Ladder in a year or 2.  Some take many years, some never get it.  Some can do it and more in 6 months.

Smiley
dihongshao2000

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Another big factor I would add is finding the right kite for you. Not necessarily the most expensive kite or the most popular kite, but the one that you really 'click' with. ...Finding the right kite can take a long time and cost a lot of money...as I know too well.  The bag I've ended up with may not be anything special, but all kites I really get on well with and that makes a big difference.

Totally agree with you.  Flying with flyers who have a varity of different kites and flying experiences allows you to "zoom in"  to your next "go-to kite" quickly while your flying skill improves.  Join local flying club is one way to try out diffierent kites without buying them that do not work for you while filling your kite bag quickly.
stapp59

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48 AM »

As with any activity that requires skill, competency is a combination of:

Innate ability
Interest
Motivation to act
Proper training
Good equipment
Time

These can happen in different ways and different amounts but all are needed.

Competency = AxIxMxTxExT

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41 PM »

As with any activity that requires skill, competency is a combination of:

Innate ability
Interest
Motivation to act
Proper training
Good equipment
Time

These can happen in different ways and different amounts but all are needed.

Competency = AxIxMxTxExT

Excellent point.

I don't know how many of you get Kiting magazine form the AKA, but the 'Presidents Letter' this issue had some very good thinking in it in my opinion. The post above made me think of it.

Lots of excellent points in the article.  One that I recall is a call to put kiting as the focus instead of the aka organization which I think is really a move in the right direction.  The other is a call for experienced flyers to help what I'll call 'motivated' flyers to get to the point where they become life-long kiters.  Often-times the focus is on getting folks to try kites for perhaps the first time, which is great, but I see John's point where helping out the guy who already has a kite and is looking to get some more fun out of it is perhaps time and effort well spent.  As an example, there's nothing more satisfying that teaching someone how to cartwheel - its makes dual line flying so much more enjoyable especially for a beginner.

-Tom

6 kite tom
trigger

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55 PM »

I have to say this is one of the most motivating topics i've seen in a long time. 

I am just getting to the point where I can pull off consistant axles, fades lazy's(7 spin today Smiley ) and a couple others.  I am a member of IKE and that has helped tremendously with my Rev flying, however I have only met 2 people with real dual line tallent in a 5hr radius.

I'm determined to master duals!!! I'm at the one year mark now, I just need that little push to get me over the edge. THis forum has been Phenomenal, but nothing beats that little voice next to you saying "tug... NOW!"

Anyways, just wanted to say i'm happy to see this direction of thinking and just know there are many of us hiding in the background reading every topic/reply that are greatfull!

thanks
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change