GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolf or Widow.........or Widow Maker?: Wolf update + WSIKF  (Read 2517 times)
pyroflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 09:46 AM »

I would suggest the Widow Maker also. Great kite, great quality, flies in light winds. Made here in the good ole US of A. The Widow NG is a good choice if you want something in that price range also. I think it flies better than the Older Widow for sure.. The Wolf is a bit small for my likes as far as comparing it to the other two. Bottom line is if you can afford the Widow Maker it's a really good kite.
northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 10:07 AM »

Hi Pyroflyer,

It isn't really a matter of what I CAN afford, it's more of a matter of if I will get back into stunt kites as I did back in the 80's. I bought the Wolf as I didn't want a great kite, like the WM, to spend possibly 10-20+ years in my garage only to be sold for $1 at an estate sale after I leave this pebble!

If I DO get back into it, there are lots of great kites I would love to try and buy, the WM being among them.

Windsurfing (and chasing wind!)takes most of my free 'windy' time but stunt kites could fill the gap between November and April!

We plan to go to the WSIKF Sunday (after a day in The Columbia River Gorge windsurfing, Saturday???) and see what the 'new school' dual and quad line kite flying is about.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:59 AM by northwavesailor » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42 PM »

There are a lot of forum members at wiskf so you can meet a lot of people that will help you out.  Want to try a rev hit up one of the many rev fliers there and enjoy Penny lingenfelters skits.  Want to try a dual hit up one of the many dual fliers there.  Also hit up magnusen park aka kite hill in seatle to meet more fliers with kites to try.
northwavesailor

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:22 AM »

We made it to the WSIKF Saturday and the weather was FANTASTIC! Wind was perhaps a  little light for most (some) flyers but still lots o' kites and line laundry a plenty.

While walking in, we saw 3 dual line kites flying together and were excited to see Ray Bethel doing his thing! What a way to start a Saturday in Long Beach.

I then met 'Mr. Revolution', Joe Hadzichi, and took a basic, and somewhat humbling, intro Rev lesson. I think getting the basics from the man who started the rev thing was a bit intimidating and dual line habits are hard to break, at least for me! He was fantastic teacher and a very nice, humble guy who JUST happened to change the sport of stunt kiting. I think I was too star struck to just relax and 'get it'

Perhaps most dual line flyers have a hard time adjusting to the Revolution's 4 lines and control. I am taken by what CAN be done with these kites and may try another go with one, but am not quite ready to buy one.................quite yet.

Late in the day with almost no wind, I saw a woman fling a Revolution Zen model that she had custom made in rainbow colors with black between the cells and it was BY FAR the best looking Rev (IMO) we saw all day. Don't know how much I'd use an ultra light Zen, but perhaps with some vents it would have a pretty good range, but man did it look good, like a stained glass widow backlit late in the day.

Didn't want my maiden flight of the Wolf to be at a kite festival so I'll get it out soon and see what it can (and can't) do before I decide if a Revolution is for me.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 12:30 PM »

No reason you can't do both Smiley  a lot of us do.  That sounds like it might have been Penny's zen you saw.  She's another rev flyer thats great to learn from and a hoot to hang around with.
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05 PM »

I know star struck... Mark Reed showed me how to fly a Zero G at the michigan kite festival... Before i knew it Jon T was over talkin to us....

i fly both,  duals on light wind days and vented rev on windy days.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
northwavesailor

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 02:30 PM »

No reason you can't do both Smiley  a lot of us do.  That sounds like it might have been Penny's zen you saw.  She's another rev flyer thats great to learn from and a hoot to hang around with.

If it was Penny's, great, I'm afraid I didn't ask her name but had to tell her the Zen Rev was BY FAR the nicest we saw amongst the many flying!

Not picking at the Rev's stock color options, some are pretty nice, but quite a few are pretty basic. If I'm spending $300-$500+(custom) it's going to be a kite that looks great (IMO) and Penny's was fabulous.
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 07:05 PM »

[...] Late in the day with almost no wind, I saw a woman fling a Revolution Zen model that she had custom made in rainbow colors with black between the cells and it was BY FAR the best looking Rev (IMO) we saw all day. Don't know how much I'd use an ultra light Zen, but perhaps with some vents it would have a pretty good range, but man did it look good, like a stained glass widow backlit late in the day.

That sounds like Sari's kite. She has a set of matching black-framed Revs.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
northwavesailor

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Yup!  I would think that would be Sari's Rev I saw..............man, was that a nice looking kite in the evening back lit light!

A kite that nice could get me into the quad-line Rev camp!

Until I got the hang of it, I would be like the guy showing up at the mountain with the latest top $$$ gear.................and can't ski!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:35 PM by northwavesailor » Logged
northwavesailor

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 09:56 PM »

At long last I FINALLY got out and flew the Premier Wolf.................WOW..........this is not my grandfathers stunt kite! Coming from a Hawaiian Spinoff, Flexi stacker and 6 pack of Rainbows these 'new school' kites really respond to inputs. Can't be sure what I did (perhaps my own made up 'tricks'?) but just getting the feel of what it does and can do was a blast.

A big thanks to Theresa from The Kite Shoppe for pointing me in the right direction to a Vancouver flying spot with good NW winds late on a Sunday afternoon (Frenchman's Bar park) Next time we'll head down to Delta Park in Portland to learn a trick or 2 from those that know how to do them properly! 

Picked up a used like new Skyburner Delta Drive UL for lighter days and hope to get it up soon on a lighter day. I love the looks of the new Lam Hoac ATM and hope The Kite Shoppe has one soon for this rookie to try and hopefully buy!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:43 AM by northwavesailor » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change