GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Prism Elixir outdated? Or does it still Dance with the Best of them??  (Read 4845 times)
inventorz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 17, 2013, 10:43 AM »

Hello,

I wanted to know from the experienced fliers:

Are there Classic Kites that are comparable in ability to modern stunt kites??

The Prism Elixir and the Prism Alien are both some of the more "pitchy" classic kites from the prism line.  From the pilots who have flown those kites, what are your thoughts?  Do they hold they own in todays modern array of tricks??

Thank you for sharing!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19 AM »

The Elixir dances (not with) above the rest of them.

Many have said the same thing in different words here before.

Without resorting to:
  small size
  tail weight
  yoyo stoppers
  stiff frame

The Elixir will do almost every trick to include:
  yoyo
  flying around in a yoyo
  both backspin and barrel roll

Better fliers than I can tell you the very few tricks it won't do.

With it's size and weight, tricks are done a bit more slowly, giving

the fans and pilot a little more time to see what is happening.

In addition it's beautiful, even on an overcast day...

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:57 AM »

The first time that I flew an Eclipse I was shocked at how easily it tricked.   The kite is certainly more capable than most flyers.

6 kite tom
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13 PM »

+1 on the Eclipse. Honestly I never clicked with an Elixir and cant barely fly the thing. The other kite that I think is far before its time was the Tika from skyburner. It can do everything I can. 1 pop roll ups aren't a thing but 2 pops work well. The rest it hands out easily.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:41 PM »

On the Elixir, some of the smoothest trick flying I've ever seen was John Weldon flyng his Lix, low and slow at kite hill.  JLs, backspins, yoyos, flick flacks, flat spins all just 1-2 feet off the ground.  It doesn't have yoyo stoppers, but you can still fly it around a but before unrolling.

My son Eli can also comete on it.

The sail is much flatter than most kites of today, not to mention the curved LEs, so it has a much different feel than more modern kites now have. 

My opinion is that, while it is capable, you will have to learn how it likes to do things.  With most modern polyvalent kites, you can move from one to the other and most things work fine, the difference being in that the more popular ones have a strength or 2 (or 3) that others don't have. 

Good luck.

6 kite tom
inventorz

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:48 PM »

"The Elixir dances (not with) above the rest of them."

Wow, I am a new flyer (just learned backspins, yo-yos, clic-flacs, etc in last couple months).  I have a Prism Hypnotist and am starting to anticipate my next std kite.  My hypnotist came with the Prism DVD and I was captivated at how great and able the Elixir looked in the footage. 

I wonder if the Elixir, being allot more affordable than modern stunt kites, would be a suitable choice for my next step into freestyle flying.

Share your thoughts please.  Thank you!

Zach Zimmerman
inventorz

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Thoughts on the Alien?Huh  I want a high wind kite too, and dont know if I should go Vented?  Or Alien?

Thoughts welcome, thank you.

ZZ
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Find yourself a standard Eclipse with a turbo bridle. You won't be disappointed.
I have seen the Elixir do amazing things ... just not on the ends of my lines.
YMMV

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:08 PM »

My opinion is that, while it is capable, you will have to learn how it likes to do things. 

I completely agree!  I have owned my Elixir since 1999, I won't sell it.  But on the days I decide to fly it, I find it best to only fly that kite.  If I start with another one then switch to the Elixir, it takes a while to dial myself in to it.  Similarly the other way round.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:22 AM »

Elixir  is the best kite ever made hands down.......
inventorz

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29 AM »

"Elixir  is the best kite ever made hands down......."  Wow!

I am getting the feeling from everyone that the Elixir is going to be my next standard kite Wink

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 12:36 PM »

The sticks are hard to get these days and are pretty easy to break.

I'd suggest re-thinking the Elixir unless you have a plan to deal with the inevitable breakages you will have to contend with.

Please note that people are suggesting a '98 (or later) Eclipse rather than an Elixir in the majority of the above posts.

The Eclipse uses pultruded sticks. Cheaper. Easier to find. However it is not as durable as a modern stunt kite either. It is particularly vulnerable to sail damage when nose planted.

And.

While it is a remarkably capable kite in experienced hands, it is not anywhere near as capable as more modern stunt kites. That includes just about anything, at any level - beginner/intermediate/expert - designed in the last few years or even nearly Ten years.

I'd suggest something else really.. like a used Blue Moon Exile, just as an example.. lots of other choices.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21 PM »

I'd suggest something else really.. like a used Blue Moon Exile, just as an example.. lots of other choices.
leave it to Jim to be 'the voice of reason'
that there was some mighty good advice!  Grin

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Don't bank on an elixir.  They are not made anymore and don't come up for sale used to often.  ITs a great kite and I love mine but you would be better off getting something currently in production for your next kite. However, if you do get one used you will be disappointed until you get a feel for it but once you get a feel for it you will see why most of us like them.

As for what it can't do is any yo-fade tricks(front flip yoyo), cynique.  Pretty much everything else is there but not for the taking, its a kite you have to know how to fly.

anthony
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:43 AM »

Elixir  is the best kite ever made hands down.......
If this were true*, doesn't it beg the questions:-

• why is it no longer made ?
  • why anyone bothered to make any other kite since ?

The 'Lixir was an excellent kite of its time. Along with the original version of the Benson Gemini it defined the second and final wave of Trick kites that were superceded in our affections by polyvalent or all-rounder kites.

Putting aside questions of what an older can be made to do, an issue that will raise its ugly head frequently when trying to match modern kites is that of build details. Older kites generally paid little-to-no attention to considerations of having the flying lines draped all over the kite. They are going to get snagged and ruin your day.

Mike,
* it's almost certainly not true.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum