GWTW Forum
July 27, 2014, 11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Prism Elixir outdated? Or does it still Dance with the Best of them??  (Read 3809 times)
inventorz
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:23 PM »

After taking all of your opinions into consideration.  I am going to keep my eye out for bargain all around trick kite in the swap meet.  Maybe an HQ infinity.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:31 PM »

In addition it's beautiful, even on an overcast day...

Hey, that's my Teal and Grey 'lix! Never should have sold that.

So, a lots already been said about the Elixir. I'll add my perspective. It's hard to fly well.

Those who put in a large amount of time, and had the skills, could do wonderful things with them. For someone like me it's more a kite to take out and goof around with from time to time. I've had two over the years and not kept 'em.

Like a lot of '90s high aspect ratio kite, it also doesn't "fly" well. As in straight lines and controlled turns and such. It's better than previous designs in that area, but nothing like full size modern kites.

As for the Alien, well, it's a really odd kite. It can handle pretty high wind, and can be fun to goof around with, but is really not good at much. Hard to do things with.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41 PM »

After taking all of your opinions into consideration.  I am going to keep my eye out for bargain all around trick kite in the swap meet.  Maybe an HQ infinity.

As a man who has owned both, I would have to say that while the Infinity is nice, the Flying Wings Soul is better......I still own my Soul....the Infinity moved on... Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Wayner

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 06:43 PM »

As a man who has owned both, I would have to say that while the Infinity is nice, the Flying Wings Soul is better......I still own my Soul....the Infinity moved on... Wink

Like Hadge, I own both, but my experience is different. The Infinity is a better fit for my style and my favorite full size standard.  Planning on buying the vented in the future.  Still have not clicked with my Soul. Hope more flying time will solve that.

No experience with the Hypnotist but I sure other members will jump in. 

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 06:58 PM »

Elixir  is the best kite ever made hands down.......
If this were true*, doesn't it beg the questions:-

• why is it no longer made ?
  • why anyone bothered to make any other kite since ?

The 'Lixir was an excellent kite of its time. Along with the original version of the Benson Gemini it defined the second and final wave of Trick kites that were superceded in our affections by polyvalent or all-rounder kites.

Putting aside questions of what an older can be made to do, an issue that will raise its ugly head frequently when trying to match modern kites is that of build details. Older kites generally paid little-to-no attention to considerations of having the flying lines draped all over the kite. They are going to get snagged and ruin your day.

Mike,
* it's almost certainly not true.
Oddly enough I agree with Mike here.  Mark had his reasons for dropping the lix and updating the eclipse instead and we won't know the full reason.  I do know from a few people close to mark when he was designing it one of the goals was easy backspins and really the kite excels at flat turntable type backspins.  I can get my lix to do a lot but its no deepspace, widow maker, solus, black pearl, tnt, Etc.  Many newer kites can out strip it in the sheer amount of tricks they can do and the ease of which they do them but to learn to get the newer tricks out of an older kite can be gratifying.  I was getting backspins, JL's and a few other more modern trick out of an old late 80's mystic(elliot shook i think) and it was fun figuring out how.  You also start to realize how good the flyers were when these tricks were just starting to be invented because the kites back then wern't really designed for tricking.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Are the Flying Wings Soul and the HQ infinity a large step up from my Prism Hypnotist??  I dont have allot to spend, but want something that provide a higher level of flying than the Hypnotist?
They are both good kites.  Tell us where you are from and maybe there is someone close you can meet with and "Borrow" the line to try some out.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:32 PM »

Vintage vs. Vintage; the Gemini (plus it is still made) is a far better kite then the elixir.
The elixir will trick but it takes a different touch but then again this is also true of the stranger level 7.

Sine Metu!
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20 PM »

that is very true zippster!
    Its like anything else in this world, Everything evolves and "gets better" If i say its the best there will be 500 people will tell me its a ugly and bad kite.  If i like classic Prism kites  some say they a bad, and they love Rsky.  Its not made anymore just like why are other kites no made? vendetta? tricktail? or why Rsky bags are not made or anything else.   

I like pineapple, HOw about you?

sammy
Hadge

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:26 AM »

Are the Flying Wings Soul and the HQ infinity a large step up from my Prism Hypnotist??  I dont have allot to spend, but want something that provide a higher level of flying than the Hypnotist?

Both would be a big step up from your Hypnotist - not that the Hypnotist is in any way a bad kite - but both of these would be easier, more responsive, more stable and more trickable. Both are similar in size and speed, both are well made, both made to do both tricks and ( to a point) precision - great all rounders.  Like many things it's down to personal preference - some folks like one make of car some another - I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. For me I found the Soul a bit smoother, and easier to do tricks with but a lot of it is if you 'click' with a particular kite or not.  If you get the chance to 'try before you buy' I'd recommend you take it.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
inventorz

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03 AM »

Ca Ike,

I am in Crystal River FL (about an hour north of Tampa Fl.

That would be AMAZING if I could "try before I buy"

Let me know if anyone out there is flying in Central FL!

Thank you!
Wayner

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03 PM »

to learn to get the newer tricks out of an older kite can be gratifying.  

So true.   Always a pure joy.   Grin
bojocatkite
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 04:27 PM »

I will ad my 2 cents on the Elixir: I Love this Kite, it's really nice looking, it flies great, I love it's style and the feeling it gives. It is capable of a lot of modern tricks and you can have hours and hours of fun with it. That said you can't compare it to the newer designs from R-Sky or Sky-Burner.

In my point of view, the major difference is you have WAY more control over what you are doing with the newer designs. It's particularly true for the R-Sky kites, you can do every modern tricks much more easily and always with a lot of control, this feeling of always having control over the kite is phenomenal.

The Elixir is like those American sport cars from the 60's, you can not compare their performance to modern sport cars like a Subaru Impreza, but the feeling you have driving them is unique.

Smooth Winds...

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 04:55 PM »

If you want to learn new tricks buy a modern kite and don't fool yourself by continually reading this thread repeatedly.

That said every flyer owns an old kite they get misty eyed about.
John Welden

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30 PM »

The Elixir is like those American sport cars from the 60's, you can not compare their performance to modern sport cars like a Subaru Impreza, but the feeling you have driving them is unique.

Smooth Winds...

Well said.

The only reason I fly or ever flew the Elixir is because I really love the way it looks flying and tricking. That's it, no other reason. I haven't found another kite that allows me to be as smooth as I can be with the Elixir. For whatever reason it does some really lovely and slow pitching, flat spinning and back spinning type tricks.

If your goal is to do all the insane tricks they're doing now days, you're much better off with a modern kite. The Elixir probably can do most anything, but it's way too hard compared to modern kites.  Plus it really sucks at straight lines and corners. 

I have a goal to make another Elixir video and to get my best flying on tape.  I think people would appreciate seeing some old skool low n slow.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:33 PM by John Welden » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 09:28 PM »

I hated the kite ... that said some of the sweetest flying I have ever seen was John Welden putting his Elixir through its paces.

(In case I need to present my bona fides I have flown with Mayet, Wardley and Graziano)

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document