GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 05:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lilith free project  (Read 5272 times)
KiteChemist
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 05:34 AM »

The measurements are correct but i forgot to mention from which point they are measured.

The leading edge apas are measured from apa-bottom to the spine axys in the nose (the center of the top of the nose)

The weakes point are the standoff lenght, since it is the carbon lenght, but the effective lenght depends on the type of sail connectors used, so probably i should add the distance from lower spreader axis to sail just to avoind confusion.

any ideas to avoid misunderstandings?
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12 PM »

The measurements are correct but i forgot to mention from which point they are measured.

The leading edge apas are measured from apa-bottom to the spine axys in the nose (the center of the top of the nose)

The weakes point are the standoff lenght, since it is the carbon lenght, but the effective lenght depends on the type of sail connectors used, so probably i should add the distance from lower spreader axis to sail just to avoind confusion.

any ideas to avoid misunderstandings?

Both of those are great ideas! It's been a guessing game for me with previous builds as to where 'exactly' to take my LE connector measurements & sail connectors lengths from!

By the way, Great looking kite design! I'm just finishing my current Invictus builds and will be taking a little break on building but will probably build a Lilith eventually! I'm not sure if I missed a posting or not but are there any flying videos available with the Lilith?
KiteChemist

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 02:10 AM »

Lilith .L (mine is a ghost):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-EFpmu_B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1eBsSJgoXc

Lilith .N (standard):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5LNtV1Snk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 03:17 PM »

I think I have just enough lightgrey and darkgrey to build this UL (color is Teal):

It may take a while. No hurry, one step at the time.

And I want to optimize my sewing at the start and end of a stitch in the middle of the sail (do you know what I mean? "Tie off" says GoogleTranslate).
KiteChemist

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 03:57 PM »

Interesting color scheme, probably it will be beautiful when finished!

What do you mean about the sewing?
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Krijn,  I know that color scheme... looks like Tom's SS.  I wish teal was still available, I'd build a similar layout! 
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Krijn,  I know that color scheme... looks like Tom's SS.  I wish teal was still available, I'd build a similar layout! 

Haha!

In our email threads, I was worried that Krijn would decide to keep the kite!  Smiley.   He mentioned that his wife liked how it turned out - I thought I was toast!   Smiley

I love how this kite looks - sweet design.  Did you consider swapping the light grey and teal sections?  I wonder how that would look.  I'm thinking that the 'teal arrow' would provide a forward looking direction to the kite which might work well.  Just a thought....

And yes, a little teal really looks sharp with another light and darker color!   

6 kite tom
Krijn

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 11:44 PM »

Cheesy

yes tom, i considered the swap between lightgrey and teal, but i didn't like it (and maybe there is not enough lightgrey left rigth here)

i also considered pinstriping (also only around the teal panels), but i won't do that on this kite
Krijn

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45 AM »

What do you mean about the sewing?

When I start a seam I just use the three-step-zig-zag and go back and forward for 1 2 cm. The same at the end of the seam.
Looking reasonable (often black thread on black underground (pinstriping or dacron)), but now I know I can do better.

I just have to try some things out, maybe using the setting of my sewing machine.
I know Sugarbaker and Tom (from the Quartz) have good tips. But I think that takes lots of time, isn't it, Stephen?

Krijn
KiteChemist

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36 AM »

I usually do it :-)
coogee

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57 AM »

He Krijn nice colour layout, the teal looks good!
 Mike
sugarbaker

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 07:20 PM »

For seams that end in the middle of the sail, I typically pull the thread through to the back and tie off with a surgeon's knot (three knots actually).  For seams that end at the edge of the sail, I drop the feed dogs on my sewing machine and make 3 or 4 stitches in place/overlapping.  This method works well, and I cut the thread right against the cloth.  If a small amount pokes back through the sail, I melt it back with a lighter (be very careful not to melt a hole in your sail).

I think if you're willing to spend the time, the easiest method that also looks neat/tidy is to tie off each seam.  Dropping the feed dogs works great for me, but only if your tension is set up well (a good sewing machine helps... ). 
Krijn

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 07:10 AM »

thanks

and what if i have to start a seam in the middle of the sail? i count three of them in this kite (kevin's layout)

is this an option (also for ending a seam):
just stitch the three-step-zig-zag and at the end set the machine to a setting with no forward move, will the machine just stitch from left to right? (i don't now if a (mine) machine has such a setting)

Krijn
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10 AM »

thanks

and what if i have to start a seam in the middle of the sail? i count three of them in this kite (kevin's layout)

is this an option (also for ending a seam):
just stitch the three-step-zig-zag and at the end set the machine to a setting with no forward move, will the machine just stitch from left to right? (i don't now if a (mine) machine has such a setting)

Krijn

I begin and end  seams at one side of the three step zig zag, stop after one diagonal (3 stitches), then back tack over it (3 stitches) then overstitch and continue.  At each end, I cut the threads close to the sail and heat seal with a lighter. Looks very neat, and never comes undone.

I never tie knots on the ends of threads.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
sugarbaker

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45 PM »

The other thing you could try is when you get to the end of your seam, instead of dropping the feed dogs like I do, you could just set your length dial to "0".  The needle will still stitch side to side, but will overlap previous stitches with no forward progression.  Be mindful that this may cause ripstop to bunch up a that area if there is too much tension in the thread. Also, it will leave a little straight line (three stitches wide) perpendicular to the direction you were stitching. 

For starting in the center of the sail, if it is just ripstop being sewn, I leave some length to the thread prior to stitching and come back and tie it off.  I will likely try Kevin's method, although it is hard as I often use a "serpentine" stitch and wouldn't line up.  It will be easier with a 3 step zig zag to coordinate where it will start and stop in the cycle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document