GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lilith free project  (Read 6852 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2013, 11:03 AM »

done

i've found the right supplies to make round cut-outs in the leading edge, i think i'll never use another method:

tail:

finished lilith.l:

Krijn

Is it a punch or a stencil cutout and hotcut process.  Im very interested.. looks nice and clean!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2013, 01:22 PM »

Is it a punch or a stencil cutout and hotcut process.  Im very interested.. looks nice and clean!

Hotcut.

This is how I do the Leading Edges:
1) Cut and fold a strip of Dacron (Spinnaker in this case).
2) Fold 5cm back and cut a small triangle from the last 5cm at both sides. I mean the part that would stick out when folded back and folded in length if you don't cut it (just try). Sorry, English is not my motherlanguage. I had a bad grade in highschool  Angry.
3) Now glue the strip to the back of the kite, starting at the wingtip. Just make sure the sail is exactly touching the fold. I do not tape the Dacron to the A0-plan or something like that.
4) Use a pencil to mark the place of the cutouts (they are on the sail already in my case, I did that when glueing the sailhalfs).
5) Now find yourself a soldering iron with a sharp point (see below, at the bottom my other soldering iron) and a piece of metal with a hole in it with a size of 12mm (10mm was too small, maybe 14mm is needed with thicker rods). I found it in DIY-shop, I think it is used in plumbing. I tried this with cardboard, but that doesn't work!

6) Cut the holes 1 2 mm from the fold in the Dacron. Closer: the hole will wear, further: there will be an ugly bend in your leading edge. WARNING: be very careful with a big sail and a sizzling hot iron on one table! Especially when you move the sail. (Yes, I had a small accident once. That set me back in focus for the builds after that.)
7) Glue the Dacron flat and stitch it.

Maybe some of the steps are unnecessary to explain, but now it is a complete instruction.

Now off to the plumbing store!
Good luck!

Krijn
Krijn

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25 PM »

By the way, Sugarbaker uses this and I copied it (it is also done on Vendetta's). He explained it also in the B'zar-thread, using the technique by making the holes before you'll glue the leading edge to the kite.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20 PM »

sounds like you need to build up one of Gary Engvall's hot tool stand.
https://sites.google.com/site/kites4all/home/hot-tools

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 02:45 PM »

By the way, Sugarbaker uses this and I copied it (it is also done on Vendetta's). He explained it also in the B'zar-thread, using the technique by making the holes before you'll glue the leading edge to the kite.

Ok, yes I have used this method to create holes in other areas of assembly.  I thought maybe there was a device that you may have been using to avoid using heat.   Smiley

I have used the slit method for creating the opening on the leading which do get fairly weathered from flight.  I will attempt to convert to holes or just use holes in future builds.  I will need to at least find a washer with a 14-15mm opening though.  Should not be hard to locate. 

Thanks for the feedback and again wonderful looking build.
KiteChemist
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Any impressions about the Lilith? Do you like it?  Smiley
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 04:25 PM »

Any impressions about the Lilith? Do you like it?  Smiley

I'm still waiting for some good wind  Sad

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Krijn

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01 AM »

I did fly it (much too) short.
I will give a mini-review later.

Some points:
 - very flat tazmachine
 - good, stable backflip and fade
 - weird feeling in the slotmachine
 - very light kite

I already played with the thoughts to replace the 2pt's in the upperleading edge with 3pt's, because the leading edges felt a bit weak (also in the precision, flying corners).
Have you tried that, Jonathan?
Krijn

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03 AM »

I like the looks very much, by the way:
mr wojtas

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36 AM »

Are you gonna take it to Bergeijk?
KiteChemist

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 05:16 AM »

I did fly it (much too) short.
I will give a mini-review later.

Some points:
 - very flat tazmachine
 - good, stable backflip and fade
 - weird feeling in the slotmachine
 - very light kite

I already played with the thoughts to replace the 2pt's in the upperleading edge with 3pt's, because the leading edges felt a bit weak (also in the precision, flying corners).
Have you tried that, Jonathan?

I didn't tried 3pt on the upper leading edge since i wanted a UL-SUL hybrid, but the precision didn't seem bad with 3pt's. The softer upper leading edge helps to regain and maintain pressure after a corner.

I can confirm about the weird feeling of the slotmachine, anyway it can give access to the slot-to-taz combo if you shoot a slot machine with very high nose.

It can also yoyo one pop Smiley

How the 3pt upper leading edge affect the flight characteristics?

Krijn

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 12:02 PM »

Are you gonna take it to Bergeijk?

in may?
Krijn

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03 PM »

first i have to fly it a lot more with the 2pt's

if i change anything, i will let you know, and also the result of the change

Krijn
KiteChemist

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Yes, before changing test it in the original setup. This configuration I think is the best comprimise between trickability and lightness
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum