GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuntkite suggestions to learn tricks (... when you already know how to fly)  (Read 1211 times)
Elvis
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 26, 2013, 06:43 PM »

Hi! I'm new to this forum!
(sorry if I do some english mistakes.. i usually speak french!)

I would like some suggestions/opinions for a stuntkite to learn tricks...
and wich could be my main kite for a long period of time.

I begun flying stuntkites 2 years ago. I didn't have quite the time to practice but now I'd like to practice more and get better in doing tricks.
For now, i'd say I manage well the basics of flying. And I can do tight 90 degree and 180 degree turns.
I'm starting to do some nice lazy susan... and some sketchy half axel, axel, fade, yoyo.
But with the kites I own (all recommended by one guy in my only kiteshop in my town), I'd say I'm kind of struggling a bit and I'm thinking of getting a new kite to practice with maybe more ease... unless you believe all I need is practice with the kites I have.

Where I live (Montreal, Quebec, Canada), the winds are usually a bit unstable and between 6-12 mph... approximately.

I have a "R-Sky - Frenezy" (evolution), wich was the first stuntkite I bought. (it was used and I got a nice deal on it).
It's kind of fast for me and I tend to overturn. And in lighter winds, it's a bit heavy.
But it flies well in 12-15mph wind range and It feels very solid and it's not afraid of gusts of wind of around 25 mph.
Overall, I like this kite... but I think it's a bit too fast to begin learning tricks.

After this one, I got a "Flying Wings - Air Wave" for lighter winds... But it's very noisy and feels very fragile. I broke a few lower spreaders in little gusts of wind. Overall, after 2 summers with it, I don't really like this kite because I feel I will brake it if I try to do some tricks with it. Maybe I'm just a bit too rough or maybe I didn't manage to fly it in it's best wind range.

Also, I wanted a zero wind kite, so I got a "Flying Wings - Air Wave Zero". I only flew it a few times and I think I like this kite when there's just a tiny bit of wind.

So now,
I'm looking for a 3-20 mph wind range kite, because in late afternoon, the wind tends to fade out... and when the wind is around 12-15 mph, there's usually some 18-20 gusts of wind.
I'd be ready to spend around 175$-275$... more or less.
I would like this kite to be my main kite for a long time...
or at least until I can master (kind of...) many tricks at a point I would feel a bit limited with the kite and would like to invest more in a higher end kite and be able to notice and appreciate the feel of a high end kite.

My friend have a "Skyburner - Ocius" and he really likes it. I just flew it a few times a while ago and it seems a really nice kite.
It's not too fast, it flies well in lower winds and is solid enough for higher winds.

Reading a few forums including this one, I have heared about
"Prism - E3",
"Prism - Quantum Pro",
"Eolo - Over",
"HQ - Shadow",
"Skyburner - Widow Maker"
some classics like "Jest Of Eve - Talon" and "R-Sky - Nirvana"
... and many other kites that complicates the task of choosing a kite!

I think I would tend for a "Prism - E3" or "Eolo - Over".
But I'm not sure if my kiteshop could get Eolo kites...
and I've read mixed reviews about Prism... some say they make really good kites and not too expensive... and have only good words for E3 and quantum Pro...
And some others say Prism kites are too much mass produced and it's better to go with some other high end companies like Skyburner, R-Sky, Premier, Atelier, Level One, for examples.. only to name a few.

So since the choice is sooo vast... what would you suggest?

Thanks for your time and opinions!
jecko

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Hi would suggest the widowmaker if you don't mind the look.

It's a good kite to learn tricks. Standard size,  slow,  precise enough and does almost everthing. Frame in tough Skyshark nitros.

It has wide wind range and it takes crappy winds well.

The only downside is its strong pull in high winds.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:26 PM »

I always give this advice. 

Find a kite that you like the 'looks of' when tricking or flying and flown by an 'expert'.  Buy it, and learn to do what they are doing. 

Of course, if you can find more video of more flyers doing what you want to do, then the confidence level in the kite (in adidition to the flyer) goes up!  Smiley

Good luck.

Sadly, there are few easy answers.  I know people I fly with who swear by a kite that I would prefer reading blogs about flying to actually flying! 

6 kite tom
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11 PM »

I vote Widowmaker.  Love mine!

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16 PM »

I vote Widowmaker.  Love mine!

Gamelord is being humble.  He has more that one Widowmaker.  It is a great kite.

jecko

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24 AM »

Oh...I forgot to mention, I have sold some kites, bought few new kites, but the Widowmaker stays in the bag coz I still enjoy flying it.

Cheers,  Smiley
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:38 PM »

I think you would be very happy with a Sea Devil Light (3PT Leading Edge). You can add a set of 5PT Lower Spreaders for when the wind picks up.
CV

Elvis

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions!

If anybody has some more, feel free to express it!
I will still read them all
and I'm sure it can help others in a similar situation.

I searched a lot on the net and it looks like the Widow Maker seems to be my best choice!
I pretty much only read some good things about it.

Of course, there's many other great kites out there,
but I think this one suits what I need for the moment.

I'll start a new topic on this particular kite to get more comments about it.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34 AM »

I agree with the CERF  Lam's Light's have a fantastic wind range and Mine is the best all around I have ever flown(of course lol)I have never flown A widow Maker but have seen them flown and flown well though

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change