GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 07:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Nexus wing shudder  (Read 1250 times)
jaharris1701
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 22, 2013, 02:22 PM »

well, I went to the beach today to fly my new Sky Burner Freestylist and must say I had a blast with that kite Grin ended up with some really nice strong winds, probably 12+ mph and thats just a guess, could have been more, but I decided after flying the Freestylist for a couple hours to fly the Prism Nexus, I like the speed and agility of this kite,, but due to its light weight frame I was experiencing some pretty BAD wing shudder,, anyone have recommendations on maybe other kites that offer this kind of speed and agility without the shudder ? Has anyone re-framed this kite with say the Skyshark frames ? I checked Sky Burner and they dont really have a Kite this size,, maybe the Ocius may be an alternative although I know thats quite a bit bigger then the Nexus,, I thought about a Micron but that frame is even lighter yet  Wink

"I'm growing older, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet
coogee

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:30 PM »

R Sky NFX sports.
Mike
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Looking for speed or tricks?

Sine Metu!
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:40 PM »

If the wings are shuddering then the kite is being overpowered - 12mph ( probably more in the gusts) is the point where you need to adjust the kites bridle.   You need to adjust the nose to tip further back - make the uphaul line longer - so the sail catches less wind. The Nexus is rated up to 22mph so it can take a pretty strong wind. It's probably not really worth spending money on reframing with Skyshark as it will probably cost nearly as much as the kite, also fitting a stiffer frame maight also have a bad effect on the way the kite flies - a stiffer frame isn't always better.

If you want a proper high wind (20mph+ ) kite thats small, fast, and reasonably cheap look at the HQ Delta Hawk - it doesn't trick but it's a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:48 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
jaharris1701

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Looking for speed or tricks?
mostly speed and quickness, not necessarily tricks in this application  Grin

Mike, I see links to the right for sites who sell the R Sky kites, but nothing listed for the NFX sport  Undecided

Jimmy Buffet
jaharris1701

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 04:11 PM »

If the wings are shuddering then the kite is being overpowered - 12mph ( probably more in the gusts) is the point where you need to adjust the kites bridle.   You need to adjust the nose to tip further back - make the uphaul line longer - so the line catches less wind. The Nexus is rated up to 22mph so it can take a pretty strong wind. It's probably not really worth spending money on reframing with Skyshark as it will probably cost nearly as much as the kite, also fitting a stiffer frame maight also have a bad effect on the way the kite flies - a stiffer frame isn't always better.

If you want a proper high wind (20mph+ ) kite thats small, fast, and reasonably cheap look at the HQ Delta Hawk - it doesn't trick but it's a lot of fun.

Thank you sir for your response,, I must admit I am somewhat new to the serious aspect of stunt kites  Wink I DID adjust the bridal on the Freestylist, it came set at the highest ( closest to the upper leading edge} to the middle setting but was still getting some sail "chatter" ,, do you think if I had it at the lowest point , which would have put the top edge back further, that would have helped ? I still have alot to learn about tuning kites,, on the Nexus,  I probably do need to check my bridal, theres a larkshead knot but seems to have slid up on the bridal to the top,, any recommendations are always appreciated  Wink I may have to head back over there tomorrow , had a blast today !!

Jimmy Buffet
jaharris1701

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:32 PM »

ok, so I just went out into the garage and looked at the bridal on the Nexus, the knot was set in the middle, I'm sure from the factory, I was able to figure out how to spread the knot and lower it then retighten,, such a rookie  Cheesy tuning seems to be a critical aspect in certain winds  Grin still would be interested in any recommendations for quick/responsive higher end kites  Wink
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:37 PM by jaharris1701 » Logged

Jimmy Buffet
Wayner

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:33 PM »

ok, so I just went out into the garage and looked at the bridal on the Nexus, the knot was set in the middle, I'm sure from the factory, I was able to figure out how to spread the knot and lower it then retighten,, such a rookie  Cheesy tuning seems to be a critical aspect in certain winds  Grin
You are on your way to a kite tuning expert.  Grin

still would be interested in any recommendations for quick/responsive higher end kites  Wink

This is a specialty area. I have the HQ Fazer speed kite. Fun but pulls harder as the wind picks up.  I have some old school kites but the are no longer in production. not sure if it helps to list them.  You could also look at small (1.2 or 1.4) dual line foils from HQ, Prism and others.  Stay small as they can pick up a lot of pull in higher winds. 
DD

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:38 PM »

A micron is blast in higher wins. I also have jet stream speed, alien and some psychos more for speed then tricks.
I also just got a deepspace vent and love it!

Sine Metu!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13 PM »

Psycho on 50ft lines.  Cheesy  Or shorter Shocked  Lots of coffee
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35 AM »

High wind- low (ish) costs (around $100)- fast - big fun = Delta Hawk.....think Psychotic Micron that wants to tear your arms off!

http://youtu.be/AQsxcqvYwdM

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 06:34 AM »

those hemp rods that prism used for a while had a good shudder in them......but they were bomb proof!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Wayner

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Tell is more please  Grin
DD

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 06:12 PM »

Tell is more please  Grin
A true joy in higher wind (15mph ish). It doesn't quite hold a fade as well as the std but that is to be expected. Other then that it picks up where my std leaves off and keeps going.  I would fly the std with wind brakes on it before but not anymore.
More on topic for this thread; You might consider a wind brake or waa pad for the nexus.  But when the nexus I have flown start to shudder then it's generally time for a micron.

Sine Metu!
Wayner

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 11:44 AM »

well, I went to the beach today to fly my new Sky Burner Freestylist and must say I had a blast with that kite Grin

How do you kite your Freestylist?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document