GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run-away leech line  (Read 1064 times)
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: August 24, 2013, 05:25 PM »

One of my leech lines seems to have retreated back into the leech tunnel.  Does anyone have any idea how to fish it out? I sure can't think of any.

Thanks, Ed
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Pull it out the other end and use a tapestry needle to re-thread it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:12 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:50 PM »

Guitar string folded in half.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
etully

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Not knowing what a tapestry needle is and wanting to try to rescue the line first, I decided to try something that popped into my brain and it actually worked rather well.  What I did was I straightened out a paperclip and wrapped the end with seam tape. I then gently inserted this into the tunnel until it hit the knot of the leech line.  Then I squeezed to bind the end of the paper clip to the line and then gently fished leech out. Worked like a charm. Smiley  Thanks Sugarbaker for your tip.  I would have done this, but I didn't savor the trip to Michael's to find a needle. Lips sealed Thanks too Thief, that was going to be the next thing to try.

Ed
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:14 PM »

Whatever works. 

I have used a segment of weed wackier line, which is easy to thread through, attack some spectra, and the pull back through, in the past. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
etully

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33 PM »

Weedwacker line crossed my mind too, but it would have had too large of a diameter (at least what I have on hand is) for this leech tunnel. I think the diameter of this tunnel is a little less than that of a coffee stirrer.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Glad you got it out.  I forget that many folks may not have a tapestry needle laying around.  Should the need ever arise again, a tapestry needle is a large hand sewing needle with a relatively blunt tip. 

Out of curiosity, what kite were you performing this rescue operation on?
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11 PM »

Some good ideas. I will put one to work on a project I have.

Like the weed wackier line. got some extra lying around.

May have a tapestry needle. Think I saw that in my wife notions drawer.

I have misplaced my line sieving kit.  Actually had two, but keep them in the same bag (first mistake), that I did not take out of the room my grandkids moved into last month (second mistake).
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32 AM »

... a tapestry needle is a large hand sewing needle with a relatively blunt tip. 

Or a darning needle.  Pretty much the same thing.

Huh  I thought everyone had them in their workshop  Grin

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
etully

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26 AM »

Glad you got it out.  I forget that many folks may not have a tapestry needle laying around.  Should the need ever arise again, a tapestry needle is a large hand sewing needle with a relatively blunt tip. 

Out of curiosity, what kite were you performing this rescue operation on?

HQ Shadow
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:56 AM »

your solution was perfect.

The proper tool for threading a leach line though is a "Bodkin". I bet you've heard that term before and never knew what it was. Invented in 1268 for threading leach lines it languished in the garment and doll industry until 1988 when it was rediscovered that sport kites benefited from having a leach line.    Cheesy   Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
etully

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy...I feel I made myself seem like a hick. Lips sealed  Should have used (claimed to use) anything other than a paper clip. Not very cool of me. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document