GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming back into kiting  (Read 517 times)
OCPablo
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 26, 2013, 03:29 PM »

So wanted to reach out to the forum and ask for some advice.

Back in the day... let's just say about 10 years ago... I sold off a ton of great kites.  I kept a very small group, and thankfully my son is now showing interest.  Was closely affiliated with Flying Wings... right up to before kites that are available now.

So I am looking for recommendations!  Let me expand on what I liked in the past.  I would be described as a 'low wind trick flyer with a nod to the Berzerkly style of hammering the S**t out of my kites.' 

I don't about all these new things like Taz, Jacob's... but I am willing to learn.  What I was known for... ripping across the window and pulling off a "Suzuki" from 40ft up.. or double axles off of a wing-tip away from the center of the wind window.  Flic-Flacs, high speed fades, coin-toss, slot machine... any of this ringing a bell to anyone?

Oh, and I typically buy something with a nice sail... and promptly yank the frame and upgrade/mod it right away, so I am not real picky on the std framing.

Kites I loved...
Sandpiper by C. Matthewsen
Bensen Reflex
CalWasp
Bensen Gem
HQ Obsession (first edition... the smaller one, kinda like a mini tram)

Kites I have left in the bag...
Flying Wings Pandora's Box
Flying Wings IFORGOTTHENAME
Flying Wings Acrobatix UL (I like it, but it does not like to rotate flat easily... maybe it's the bridle but I think the aspect ratio is a bit wide.)
HQ Tram STD

Kites I WISH I bought...
Nirvana
Nirvana
Nirvana

SO... any recommendations? 
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Welcome back to kiting and welcome to the forum.

If you wanted to stay with Flying Wings, I would say avoid the Silver Fox 2.5 and go straight to the Soul.

Since you like to upgrade the frames, This could be a good choice as the spars are made in China and while not bad, you would enjoy the upgrade.
OCPablo
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Thanks Wayner for the Welcome!

I am willing to look at anything, but reality is that I want a quality product.  When I was working with FW, I was able to really push on the quality of the product, and from what I have seen they have kept it up. 

At this point, I am looking for the best of the best... those kites that people simply must take out when they fly.  Maybe I should have added the "tell me why you like this kite or that kite?"

I am also very interested in custom colors... already sent out a email to the R-Sky group to see if that is even an option.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07 PM »

A man with money, just about anything is possible.

I'm sure you will soon be getting a list of most of the flyers favorite kites.

Right now I'm loving on my Tekken (Sport Kite Designs) and Talon UL (Jest of Eve, with is in limited production) and Mongoose (out of production).

Good luck on your search for your new kite.  Grin
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Oh there are sooo many options.  Probably the best all around kite for just about any style that I can recommend is the widow maker from sky burner.  Great low wind (3-4) and high wind performance.  IF you liked the Cali Wasp then you will like another. Miguel is still making them and has updated the design with a deeper sail that is a lot more trick friendly than the original wasps but still has the Berkeley yank n spank style.

Pretty much check out Skyburner, Sportkite Designs, Benson, R-sky, Focus kites(sold by into the wind now under Paul Debakker's name).  Other than that the best advice I can give you is find some local flyers nand borrow the lines to try out some kites.  Where are you located?

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change