GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawiaian UL Best Beginner kite?  (Read 768 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: August 25, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Just thought I would share this success story. 

Replaced original rods with p400.  Reduced the weight on my Hawaiian by 1/3 Grin

Turns out to be a good fit for new flyers. Had my 5' 2" sister learn on this kite and the pull is greatly reduced in lighter winds.

Rob has been coming out the our weekly fly for months, has a Quantum and has flow a lot of todays kites; WM, Talon, Tekken, Mongoose etc, Always asking to try different kites.  He is a consistent flyer well past the crashing stage.  Gave him the Hawaiian in 7-10 mph winds. Rob found a corner of the field and flew it all night even when the winds dropped in UL range (I had my WM UL). I was surprise at how low a wind he was flying in and he had no interest in any other kites.

This week Rob first question was. Did you bring that kite! Sad to say it was a SUL night. ProDancer SUL and Amazing were the only kites out of my bag.

With its speed, precision and solid feedback on the lines, this very old school kite has always seems to work for beginning flyers.  Now the lighter frame opens the kite to a much lower wind range.   

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:52 AM »

Yup. I use spin offs as well for new flyers. The older kites turn slower, I put a beginner on my Mamba once and when they would panic and pull the lines hard the fast spins just made things worse.

I used P300's on my Spin Offs and NSR.

One of my Hawaiins is P300 spine/speaders/battons/ and G Force leading edges.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Wayner

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:09 PM »

How do you like the upgrade.  May do the same for my Spin Off and NSR.

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:35 PM »

How do you like the upgrade.  May do the same for my Spin Off and NSR.

I like it. Smiley I put a 5 gram weight in the tail of the NSR, when I redid it I got rid of the metal ferrel thats low on the spine and the kite was a tiny bit nose heavy before the weight.
Although I think Im going to redo the NSR with Skyshark Black Diamond rods. I like the look of the wrapped spars.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:37 PM by coop » Logged

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Wayner

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:53 PM »

Although I think Im going to redo the NSR with Skyshark Black Diamond rods. I like the look of the wrapped spars.

I like the look too.  It the price that give me pause. Wink

Should look and preform well.
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:03 PM »

After starting him out on a "Hot Avalanche" (I call it a "prismatic paneled go fast") I put a Hawaiian into his hands and told him to sit down or let go if he got scared. Well, that 12 year old flew that kite for the better part of 10 minutes in 15 mph winds. A few crashes and some hurried footsteps  Shocked Cheesy Shocked across the field when he was hit with a gust or two. I look over at him and he had assumed a squatting position with a foot braced in front of him, a budding pro  Cool from the looks of things...
And, this was the first time he'd ever flown a "sports kite"... Though he liked the speed of the first kite, he really liked the power of the team kite... Woo Hoo...
Good starter kite? He thought so...  Smiley Smiley Smiley
He's looking forward to the 15th when we have a family fun fly scheduled at the field...
TMF, can't that be said of all the TOTL kites?

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document