GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 04:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing 'C' clips the easy way.  (Read 1118 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 28, 2013, 09:12 AM »

A lot of folks seem to struggle to get C clips off in one piece - here is a quick 'how to' of the easy way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQDUl3P3P2o
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:51 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Good idea but I wouldn't recommend it since one mis tap and you fracture the spar alon the length.  Best way to remove c-clips is to take a small pair of pliers and gently twist each end to break the glue bond then pull it off or use your tap method but have a tube that can go over the spar.  A box end wrench works instead of a tube and gives you better surface to tap.
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11 PM »

You don't need to tap hard, and the flat of the blade is parallel to the spar so it can't really dig in. I've used it for years now and never damaged a spar, only occasionally cracked the C clip but they may have been damaged already.  Superglue has great bonding strength but very little shear strength.  Twisting with pliers you would be trying to break the bond rather than using it's weakness against it?

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I don't mean twist around the spar, but twist as if you were trying to peel it off the spar rotating ends up or down(can't think of a better way to describe it atm). It just takes a little bit of movement to break the glue bond.  I did it your way for a while but I've had rods fail from hair line cracks right at the clips so I stopped using the screwdriver and went to a small box end wrench or aluminum tube for an anvil. Much easier on the rods if your trying to save them.  No matter what method used we should mention ALWAYS have spare clips before doing it just incase you do break one Smiley
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:19 PM »

Totally agree, Hadge.  Lateral tap gets them off 99 times out of 100.

For anyone who is not as competent at using the screwdriver technique, you can use a small length of timber (say 12" x 2" x 1").  Drill holes slightly larger than the spar sizes through one end.

Select the hole with a close fit, slide the bar over the spar, hold at Y, hit at X

The wood has enough "give" to minimise any potential damage

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Great tool idea Kevin.  Even better than my ideas.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:01 AM »

Honestly I use the twist/pry screw driver technique...and if it breaks pull outcome bag.....cheap enough.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30 AM »

Honestly I use the twist/pry screw driver technique...and if it breaks pull outcome bag.....cheap enough.....

The biggest problem I found with twisting/prying is that if the clip snaps in half, even if you get the other half off, it often leaves a 'splinter' of c clip glued firmly to the spar that is big enough to stop the fitting sliding off.  It's usually too small to get a pair of pliers on and the only way to shift it is to try and carefully cut it off with a craft knife - that is when I have damaged spars in the past when the cut goes a bit too deep.  Sad

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:32 AM »

I sorta' dislike c-clips so have no problem busting them off and replacing them with cut end caps or donuts made from vacuum line from the auto parts store   Cheesy  of course that entails much more work. Everybody contributed great ideas, I haven't made a tool like KaoS but have used Anthony's end wrench idea.

PS: Loved the music in the video, so 50's I'm still smiling   Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KiteChemist

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11 AM »

Beautiful! It works greatly! (Tryed it yesterday)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document