GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Burner Widow Maker (std)... pros and cons...  (Read 694 times)
Elvis
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 29, 2013, 08:44 AM »

I'm looking for my next kite to buy and by searching a lot of things about many kites on the net,
I find many comments on the Widow Maker in many topics about different kites.

I've read pretty much only good things about that kite... and a very few negative details about it.
I'm even wondering what could be the downsides of that kite.

So since it seems to be a popular kite and I'm sure many of you have one (or more!), I'd like to know :
What would be your "Pros and Cons" about the Widow Maker (standard)!
trigger

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05 AM »

It's gonna be my next kite... I am a big fan of the colorizer, the only con i have is the graphics.

I do have an ocius sul which i LOVE! the craftmanship is awesome and its made in the USA. The WM is a sure thing!
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07 PM »

My experience with the WidowMaker has been almost all positive. It does pretty much everything really good. I have been flying for over a year and I don't think I will outgrow this kite any time soon. It also does things somewhat slowly so it is easier to learn the tricks.

You will find that many kites can do one or two tricks really good (possibly better than the WM), but usually that sacrifices the ability of the kite to do other tricks easily. The WM to me is a great all around kite, if not one of the best.

I found all the positive comments about the WM when I was looking for a kite too and I am now the one writing the positive comments. It is not a coincidence that people like the kite. It really is a good kite.

I have never heard any comments online or in person to the tone of "I wish I didn't buy a widowmaker."

If you have the opportunity to fly a WM before you make the purchase I suggest it. As soon as I flew one I knew that it would be my next kite purchase, but everyone has preferences to the way they like their kite to fly.

Good luck buying your next kite.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/Ocius Std/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 Std & UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:56 PM »

and a very few negative details about it.

I'm surprised you can find any negative details.  It is a great kite, I love mine and I'm NOT selling it... ever.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Ok I will have to be VERY critical here but I will try to list the few negatives.  First one is the graphics but some time on the colorizer will give you a kite that looks completely different than the normal WM look if you don't like the spider look.  Second is it can have a bit more pull than most trick kites but though a negative for tricking in 12+ winds its a plus for precision flying. THIRD is the colorizer can drive you nuts picking out the layout you like from all the really nice options Smiley  FOURTH is there is never enough time to fly it Tongue  Fifth is the wait once you order it Cheesy (roughly 4 weeks for a custom)

I have a solus set and love em but still will be adding a WM set to my bag.  I fly them whenever my fellow flyers bring them to the fun fly and my only delay is budget and color layout choice(i have about 22 color combos I really like lol) Ultimately you can't go wrong with a WM as it is one of the best all around kites for the money and the Trenephol's are great people to deal with.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14 PM »

The Widow Maker UL is the most popular kite at our Friday Night Fly.

Personally, I like the graphics. But that's just me. I did request a special

order custom be offered. Maybe someday, Jon will take me up on it.

It definitely wouldn't look like a spider. Great kite.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
trigger

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:34 AM »

I second the "bird" design!!!!

Many hrs on the colorizer always ends up with the bird design... Usually in a rwb color Smiley the 2 panels on the side of the spine on the trailing edge look best the same color as the bottom leg to me.

Love the head in your design!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »

that would be a blend of Gonzalez brothers and Trennepohl! nice mash up!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59 AM »

Granted my bag of tricks is limited and I don't do combo's but it sounds like you'll be passing through my skill level
so I think my input is relevant.

There was one review you'll find on the kitecliq, or whatever that site is called, that rated it as being as bland as a lite beer since it only did all the tricks but didn't do anything superbly. But that is exactly the point for us learners and those of us who hold no aspirations to travel to France to compete in the World Cup. It may not excel at any one trick, it may not do any trick to perfection, it just does them all satisfactorily while being somewhat forgiving of our inexperienced attempts.

The Widowmaker has been my goto kite for years now. I have other highly rated kites and although the Widowmaker may not be the first kite out of the bag if I want to retry one of them, the wind will usually come up too high or drop too low in our area during the day for me to enjoy those others and I'll haul out the Widowmaker. It is always the last kite I put back into the bag. In fact very often it never goes into the bag, I just put my lineset in it's bag after the others have been packed away and keep it loose so I stand it up behind the front door in the hallway just in case I want to go fly during lunch or after work.

Bottom line? You're not getting one of mine   Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography