GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 09:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a low wind kite  (Read 2864 times)
Txg8gxp
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 06, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Ok, so ever sense I got my starter kite wind doesn't exist. What a surprise right? I was going to get a premier widow next, and will probably still get one but I want to fly. So, I'm looking for some input on a good low wind 2+ mph kite. I want a good trick kite and would like to stay at $220 or less.  I have read that the prism 4d is a good low cost kite, so that's a good option but I would like something larger. Prism zephyr has caught my eye a few times. Others I have looked at would be sky burner ocius ul. Any advice would be great, thanks
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:27 PM »

I'm really happy with my Ocius UL. I wish Premier made a UL Widow. Since they don't, consider a UL widow maker, if you can find a deal on a used one. Ive flown one and they're great. I've heard good things about the HQ Shadow but haven't had a chance to fly one.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
trigger

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:57 PM »

well, they are all good kites.

I have the 4d, ocius sul and zephyr.

the 4d is nice for the price, it is very twitchy and not at all like flying a normal sized kite. The case it comes in is awesome and it does have it's place.

The Zephyr is my go to kite 70percent of the time. If the winds are too high i am flying a vented Rev.  The Z can stay in the air pretty easy at 4-5mph, but below that takes some technique that a newb may not have yet(i've been flying 1 year and it's work)

The Ocius SUL is wonderful in a breath of air. It launches and performs like a standard kite just stepping backwards. A slightly more gentle touch is required but not at all like the 4d. I"ve been able to do all my tricks(about 5 Smiley ) easily with only slight input differences. I'd use this kit up to about 6-7mph.  I have done a couple 360's with it when the wind drops out completely.

People may say you can fly anything in low wind with the right technique, when your starting out it's nice to just be in the air. I don't like being discouraged so early in the game.  Light wind technique will come in time.

EDIT!  All that being said... the Zephyr has really held up to a beating!  SO has the 4d!  I only broke the 4d after nose diving into a fence in a 10mph gust!  For the price the 4d will keep you in the air reliably until your past the CRASH stages.  It'd hurt to destroy an Ocius after a couple bad crashes

good luck
Jim
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:03 PM by trigger » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43 PM »

The Shadow is an excellent kite, and well under the price limit you have mentioned.  I think you will be totally thrilled with it.

Just a note on the Shadow....I normally adjust the tow point up about an inch from the factory settings.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:50 AM »

I own the Shadow, Freestylist and Zephyr and have flown the Ocius and 4d.  Here is a quick review form my experience.

I would also add the Freestylist UL to the list. IMHO it is a better kite for a beginner that the Ocius.  The Ocius is a pure trick machine designed for the advanced flyer.  When you develop those skills is it a great kite to show them off.  The Freestylist is designed for the intermediate flyer, very easy to fly and makes it predicable to learn tricks on.

I would avoid the 4D.  Small twitchy nasty little kite.  It's a kite that is inexpensive and will fly in a large wind range, but won't teach you much.  I have always found it frustrating to fly. Fast, quick, and twitchy combined with a overly flexable frame and no mass do not make for a trickable kite.  Anything else is my bag is a joy to fly compared to this guy.  Flying Wings Airwave Zero is a Cadillac compared to the 4D. If you all looking for very low wind performance in the same price range. The Airwave is stable, very trickable and holds a remarkable fade for a small kite. 

The Shadow is a stunning kite. Flies in very low wind. Very trickable, In between the Freestylist and Ocius for control IMHO. 

Zephyr is the best stunt kite Prisim makes. But is more of a light standard. (it need a little more wind, that the UL above.)  This is not a design flaw, but a kite that can preform like a normal standard kite in lighter winds.  This is a full size kite and also easy to fly.  Very good choice if it meets your wind conditions.
Txg8gxp

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys, I will end up with either a shadow, zephyr or a ocius ul. The shadow does look nice but with it only being a few dollars less then a zephyr is it really a better option?
Wayner

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Which kite is better is a relative term. They are very different kites in size, wind range and flying style. It depends on what you want and the winds you fly in.

Winds
The Shadow is a TRUE UL that will fly close to a SUL.  The Zephyr needs more wind as it is a light standard.

Size
Zephyr is a full size kite and easy to fly with good precision. The Shadow is a smaller kites with decent precision for its size.

Trickability. 
Both kites are very trickable but do them differently. Shadow has less mass and is more limited in rollups, its smaller size make it very responsive and easy to trick only requiring light inputs.  The Zephyr is the trickiest kite of the Prism line IMHO. As a light standard you get the full trickability of a standard at a lower wind range.

Hope that helps in your decision making.

Txg8gxp

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:17 PM »

I would say the average calm day wind around here would be in the 2-5mph range with winds getting up too 10mph some days. Without me getting a couple kites I'm worried about getting a true UL setup and only being able to practice on calm days. I also think I would rather have a larger setup as well so I keep leaning towards the zephyr. Then after that and some more practice I could get a true UL or SUL setup.
etully
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:24 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys, I will end up with either a shadow, zephyr or a ocius ul. The shadow does look nice but with it only being a few dollars less then a zephyr is it really a better option?
No question about it, the Shadow zips about in those low winds that would leave the zephyr hovering in a stall 5 feet above the ground. And it, among other basic tricks, just gives away nice 540s, fades, axels, half axels, etc. The Shadow is really an awesome kite which should be in every inland flier's bag.  A good, relatively inexpensive kite for those days where there is just a slight wisp of breeze is the NikNak by Skyburner.  Flying that thing is a Zen-like experience.
Txg8gxp

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:52 PM »

So if I go with the shadow what would be a good length for the line set? I see they say to use 100# line, but would I want 50',75', 100' or what? I haven't found any info yet explaining the differences between different line lengths.
trigger

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I have always used 75ft and shorter lines.  shorter lines do 3 things... 1. Decrease the amount of wind needed  2. Decrease the size of your wind window3. Increase the speed at which everything happens!

I recently made some 100ft lines and realized how much slower everthing happened. It really helps learning tricks.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Wayner

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47 PM »

50# is all you'll need.  50' would be to short.  100' will give you more time and a larger area to fly and set the kite up for tricks.  75' will put you closer to the kite. This can be helpful in learning and doing tricks.

I fly the shadow at 60' lines most of the time. Using 75' give me extra time to relax. Cheesy

Captainbob

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38 AM »

I saw this video last night of a Pro Dancer By Sky Burner. Looks great in 0-1  mph winds. 

Ūn
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:41 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:09 AM »

For true Zen in extreme low winds, Spectre XUL

https://vimeo.com/49111945

2.8oz with 100" wingspan.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25 AM »

Hi Andre,

"I want a good trick kite and would like to stay at $220 or less"

Are you sure for the Spectre ? If yes, that's very good news !  Cheesy

For true Zen in extreme low winds, Spectre XUL

https://vimeo.com/49111945

2.8oz with 100" wingspan.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document