GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 01:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a low wind kite  (Read 3007 times)
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26 PM »

Hi Andre,

"I want a good trick kite and would like to stay at $220 or less"

Are you sure for the Spectre ? If yes, that's very good news !  Cheesy

For true Zen in extreme low winds, Spectre XUL

https://vimeo.com/49111945

2.8oz with 100" wingspan.

Neither is the Skydancer SUL Smiley
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59 PM »

benson inner space is a very light wind kite, limited tricks but a joy to fly

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10 PM »

Hi Andre,

"I want a good trick kite and would like to stay at $220 or less"

Are you sure for the Spectre ? If yes, that's very good news !  Cheesy

For true Zen in extreme low winds, Spectre XUL

https://vimeo.com/49111945

2.8oz with 100" wingspan.

Neither is the Skydancer SUL Smiley

I actually got that ProDancer for less than $100. It was used, but flies great.  They sell on eBay for around $200 new, and I think you can get them straight from SkyBurner for less than $250. It has the lightest feel of any SUL that I've flown, I can't imagine how light your Spectre feels ! Have any Spectres made it to the US yet ?

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14 AM »

I actually got that ProDancer for less than $100. It was used, but flies great.  They sell on eBay for around $200 new, and I think you can get them straight from SkyBurner for less than $250. It has the lightest feel of any SUL that I've flown, I can't imagine how light your Spectre feels ! Have any Spectres made it to the US yet ?

How light it feels depends of course on the wind. The spectre is set very heavy to catch every little bit of wind, which in return creates a solid feedback, even in sub 1mph wind. so far none has it made it to the US.
JJF6
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:13 AM »

Hi,

The Flying Wings Duende UL is reasonably priced kite , It can do a rising turtle easy, It floats better than the Flying wings Soul, the Duende is slightly smaller than the Soul but the trick ability in low winds in my opinion is as good as most high end custom built kites. I have over 40 kites - that is what I keep telling my wife. LOL. I actually have around 60.

Cheers
Keith
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51 AM »

Most cases PDSULs are under 220, yes.
I'll also add one to the Ocius UL and the Freestylist UL is great too, especially for the money.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44 PM »

Transformer SUL blew all other low wind kites right out of the water for me.   Flys and tricks better than all but a few standards.

6 kite tom
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36 AM »

I'll add another vote for a Shadow.  It's a great kite, and while flying in very low winds, it can take an unexpected gust (First time I had it in the air a gust of wind broke one of my 50lb line sets). Also, I'm surprisingly fond of the design.

Hadge

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 11:52 AM »

I'd also give the Shadow a vote - tricky and it will fly down to 2mph or maybe a little less, the only downside is that roll up's can be a bit difficult until you get the knack.  Some find it a bit twitchy with the standard bridle but you can fit a 3 point that tames the oversteer without losing the tricks. Anything less than 2mph and I use the 4D but tricks are limited ( for me at least).

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
alien

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20 AM »

benson inner space is a very light wind kite, limited tricks but a joy to fly

Ah,so its not me.  Huh
Captainbob

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 04:54 AM »

Got a new Niknak yesterday and put it together. It is much bigger than my 4D, and is built very well. Flew it today for about an hour. It is leaps and bounds nicer than my 4D, easy to fly, floats forever when there is a lull in the wind, and flies like it is on rails. I'm sorry I didn't get the Niknak first, instead of the 4D. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:17 PM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 04:43 PM »

Hi Txg8gxp:

Same like you. I have low wind conditions most of the time.

The kites that worked well for me are:

Duende 2.2
Eolo Over
NTK French Connection UL

with other kites I usually move the tow points an inch closer to the nose. and it helps when flying in low wind condition.

My Eolo Over in a 1-3 mph wind: http://youtu.be/gGrH--pYcJk

My NTK French Connection UL in a 1-3 mph wind: http://youtu.be/8w_8a0Y8zjc

My Duende 2.2 std in 3-5 mph: http://youtu.be/x9UQuTEOfKk

I ordered a Widow NG and should be getting it this weekend. I'll write a review about it and make a video of it.

another kite that I want is the Duende UL.

Hope this helps.
kite_pilot

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 06:19 PM »

what about the " pro dancer " to add to the list ?

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 07:35 PM »

what about the " pro dancer " to add to the list ?

PDSUL is the Pro Dancer.   A kite Devon recommended in this thread.  It's probably the best low wind,  'I want to easily fly, but not do all the latest tricks' kite that you will find.

Get that one and a transformer SUL and you will be completely blissful from near-zero to 9

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change