GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 12:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with reluctant rok  (Read 1107 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: September 08, 2013, 09:08 AM »

This Alan Carpenter rok was really misbehaving when I tried to fly it for the first time   Angry
I've never been so annoyed with a kite...
I tried numerous adjustments to both spreader bow lines and bridle. All it wanted to do was start upward and then just spin and crash...

Came really close to &*%^&^$$&^ing this one. Any suggestions?

Anthony
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:39 AM »

Time to mount it on a wall  Roll Eyes
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48 AM »

It may just be the photo, but the proportions look a bit odd.

Check the bridles for symmetry. Are they all even?

Have you flown roks before? Put a lot of bow in the spreaders. Lower the tow point to where the kite will barely lift. Try to fly it and if it stabilizes, move the tow point gradually up for a better flight angle.

Good luck!

David
whitebirdlover

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13 AM »

It may just be the photo, but the proportions look a bit odd.

It is a "modified" rok, the lower portion of the sail is tapered and not symetrical to the upper sail area. I will give your suggestions a try David. Thanks...

Anthony
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:29 PM »

The extra legs in the bridle make the super easy rok bridle adjustments harder.....I am guessing that if you wanted to be 100% new you could put a simple four leg bridle on it and pull off this one...

Also is there any bow in the spine when assembled? A bow in the spine makes a very manueverable rok....but not as steady of a stand alone flyer....

Another thing could be that the skin is stretched aymmetrically and that is what is playing you....

You could put a pink purple black transition tail on it and that would stabilize it and look good too.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52 AM »

Can you give us a picture of the back of the kite? In the front picture it looks as though the top spreader is bowed already and not aligned with the top bridle points. What positions and holds the spreaders in place so they are straight from pocket to pocket? Typically I would expect to find a spar tunnel / loop, a ribbon tie or even an O-ring between the spine and spreader.
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:39 PM »

The posted pic is only the one from the seller. The kite is not properly set up in the pic. I used the builders inscribed instructions for bowing etc. I will post a showing the back of the kite set to specs. May take a day or two, or three... Wink

Anthony
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24 AM »

looking at my roller kites this one looks a lot like the top half of the roller rather than a rok which is more symmetrical all around the spars.  so maybe like the roller has the lower sail this kite could be stabilized with twin tails or a scoop or some sort. or maybe it is a truncated roller?

keep us all informed please as it is a handsome beastie

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:36 AM »

The Rok in my avatar did the same thing.  Try reading through this post.  I got a lot of good suggestions to get it going.  In the end I lengthened the bridle and decreased the Angle of attack.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8927&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=steal+face&start=20

Read closer to the bottom of page 2 onward
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document