transporting kite on plane, advice?

Pages: (1/2) > >>

tgard:

I'm going to be flying to NYC for a five day visit and just wondering if I can take my folded up kite carry-on?  You never know what's considered a weapon these days... anyone had recent experience doing this?

thief:

i have carried a Prism Roll up bag full length through TSA checkpoints without worry....just if any one asks explain that they are kites...keep them folded as small as they can go.....

tcope:

If I take my indoor Rev I take it carry on. No issues ever.

thief:

pretty much even though you are carrying sticks that could be pokey as long as you tell them it is a kite they pretty much laugh (sometimes internally sometimes externally) and just wave you on by...
i do try to keep the kite in some container...helps to make sure rods do not disappear....cardboard tubes....plastic drafting tubes....PVC....fishing pole carryalls....kite bags...skin bags...anything to help keep a low profile silhouette helps...

Jeepster:

I visited Bass Pro shop and bought a $25 fly rod case that is just long enough to handle my Rev rods.  With the rods pulled out of the kites, I load up the fly rod case and count it as my "personal" item to carry on the aircraft.  If I've got some SLKs with rods, they go in the fly rod case also.  The revs, their lines, stakes and handles go in my checked baggage.

I have a compression bag that is used for the SLKs that are also traveling with me ... plus, their lines, straps, carabiners, Rev bags, sand anchors, nylon jacket, what ever else I can squeeze into it.  When it's compressed down to carry-on dimensions, it becomes my carry-on item.

And, I carry on a couple of books to read.

I've been doing this for four years without ever being stopped ... both stateside and out of the country.  One stewardess did ask me where I was going to go fishing! I also carry a printout of the airlines rules governing what can be carried on the plane.  They all differ a little, but most allow you to bring a carry-on, a personal item, and a reasonable amount of reading material.

Others will tell you that they take their roll-up Rev bag on the airplane, but I'm nervous about pushing it that far.  The fly rod case is perfect size to go in the overhead bin after the carry-on bags are loaded, but a Rev bag would have to go in first and eat up a lot of bin length.

Cheers,
Tom

Pages: (1/2) > >>