GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transporting kite on plane, advice?  (Read 775 times)
tgard
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 09, 2013, 03:42 PM »

I'm going to be flying to NYC for a five day visit and just wondering if I can take my folded up kite carry-on?  You never know what's considered a weapon these days... anyone had recent experience doing this?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:01 PM »

i have carried a Prism Roll up bag full length through TSA checkpoints without worry....just if any one asks explain that they are kites...keep them folded as small as they can go.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10 PM »

If I take my indoor Rev I take it carry on. No issues ever.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:37 PM »

pretty much even though you are carrying sticks that could be pokey as long as you tell them it is a kite they pretty much laugh (sometimes internally sometimes externally) and just wave you on by...
i do try to keep the kite in some container...helps to make sure rods do not disappear....cardboard tubes....plastic drafting tubes....PVC....fishing pole carryalls....kite bags...skin bags...anything to help keep a low profile silhouette helps...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10 PM »

I visited Bass Pro shop and bought a $25 fly rod case that is just long enough to handle my Rev rods.  With the rods pulled out of the kites, I load up the fly rod case and count it as my "personal" item to carry on the aircraft.  If I've got some SLKs with rods, they go in the fly rod case also.  The revs, their lines, stakes and handles go in my checked baggage.

I have a compression bag that is used for the SLKs that are also traveling with me ... plus, their lines, straps, carabiners, Rev bags, sand anchors, nylon jacket, what ever else I can squeeze into it.  When it's compressed down to carry-on dimensions, it becomes my carry-on item.

And, I carry on a couple of books to read.

I've been doing this for four years without ever being stopped ... both stateside and out of the country.  One stewardess did ask me where I was going to go fishing! I also carry a printout of the airlines rules governing what can be carried on the plane.  They all differ a little, but most allow you to bring a carry-on, a personal item, and a reasonable amount of reading material.

Others will tell you that they take their roll-up Rev bag on the airplane, but I'm nervous about pushing it that far.  The fly rod case is perfect size to go in the overhead bin after the carry-on bags are loaded, but a Rev bag would have to go in first and eat up a lot of bin length.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05 PM »

I carried my ITW kite bag onto the plane just last month for WSIKF (both ways), and it was stuffed to the gills with kites (mostly rev length, and it's probably about 8 inches longer than the revs).  I was prepared to (nervously) check it if necessary, which I've done once in the past, but it was not an issue.  I had a laptop bag as my personal item as well. 

Most of the time, I only bring 2-3 revs stuffed into a single (larger) sleeve.  Handles and line sets go in the roll aboard suitcase.  I've been asked by the screeners once or twice what's in the bag, and answering "kites" has always gotten me waved through with no problem.

BTW, if you really want to carry more/larger kites, some people have purchased the hard shell ski/snowboard tubes, or the hard shell golf bag cases, and checked kites as luggage with good success.

Don't try to carry on any tools or ground stakes . . . . or you'll get to go back to check your bag (accidentally left a multi-tool in my bag last month  Roll Eyes )

mmakay

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Just last week I flew cross country with four kite broken down and stowed in a tripod bag. (~$20 shipped from Amazon)  I took several trips through security along the way and didn't get so much as a raised eyebrow from TSA.

-Mickey
vigli

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56 AM »

I use plastic telescopyc tube. You can change size for bigger and smaller kites.
It is made for students for arhitect. universety for paper drawing works. You can find it in store for students stuff, paper, pencils, office equipment...
Exelent solution. But it can keep one regular kite.
Best
boris
PS
I collaps kite to enter in it! But when I put kite in tube it is not tight which is good for sail
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:58 AM by vigli » Logged
Jim Foster

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44 PM »

We took six revs in a baseball bat bag on four different flights. Used ball bungies to secure the kits around a 2"x 34" piece of PVC used for extra spars, all stuffed into the bag. Lines and handles went into checked bag. Bag with kites went into overhead. One security lady wanted to see. A quick unzip and I was on my way.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change