GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widow Maker STD and UL real wind range  (Read 814 times)
Elvis
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 15, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Hi,

For those of you who have a Widow Maker STD and/or UL,
what would you consider to be their real wind range?

I mean... based on your experience,
what would be their lowest flyable wind (without having to walk back too much)
and the highest winds or gusts of wind it can withstand without beeing afraid to brake a rod.

Also, what line (length and strength) are you using with them?
Thanks for sharing what you've experienced with those kites!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:07 PM »

As soon as you say (without having to walk back too much),

a whole bag of worms gets opened.

Realistically, a UL is going to need about 3 mph winds to fly "normally".

Realistically, a standard is going to need about 5 mph winds to fly" normally".

No walking, just fly the damn kite.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's about it.

90# line of 75' to 120' will cover most circumstances.

I use 50# when winds are really light.

And when winds are strong, I like heavy line, like 150#. It really gets out of the way

when doing tricks.

But then, there are many here who fly much better than myself. Good luck.

The Widow Maker UL is a great kite. Period.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:05 AM »

I don't know the wind speeds but my WM flies in lighter wind than my other kites when I adjust the pig tails for lighter wind. Watching the leaves on the trees the leaves are moving but the branches aren't and there's a breeze on my neck. I don't use a wind meter so I can't really tell what the speed is but it's fairly light.

(The Nirvana UL flies well in the same wind speed range.)

At the other end of the spectrum it flies easier in higher winds with the pig tails at the other end. The branches are moving on the trees but if I had to guess it's probably about 12 mph or so. Fifteen is blowing pretty good and I'd get the Revs at that point.

It's a great kite and has a really nice range. (The Deep Space has a nice range too.)

Bob D.
jecko

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Agree with John,  I have the Std and it fly lower than any Std I have. Don't own a UL but did try someone else's.  I do not need much wind to fly comfortably.. The thing I like about WM  is it takes crappy winds well.

I will not fly it in high winds though as it generate too much pull to trick comfortably even with skyburner windbrakes.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12 PM »

I only have the standard WM, but it flies easily in wind lower than 5mph. Not many other standards can do that, except maybe the Exile...
I also strongly agree with the statement of flying easily in crap wind, probably the best standard I have for inland flying.
BTW, I have never felt the need to adjust the bridle from factory stock... don't fix it if it ain't broke !

Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50 PM »

Feel good about making a decision. You can not make a wrong choice as both version are great preforming kites. Plus you will most likely end up owning both over time.  Cheesy

I own both the WM UL and STD. The WM is solid on the lines making both easy kites to fly in lower winds compared to other kites.  Wind rating don't mean much unless everyone is using a wind meter.

You would not break rods on the Standard. Fly it up to 18-20mph. Then pull out your R-Sky - Frenezy for higher winds.  You could break a rod in the UL but you will get plenty of warning first! The frame will over flex and the kite will let you know its time to pull it down. 

The WM UL is a fantastic UL.  It is the only kite everyone in our group owns.

Based on your other kites. I would recommend getting the standard. You can fly your Air-Wave Zero (I have this kite too) in really low wind and then you can switch to the standard (may need a little effort to fly).  If you decide on the UL you would love its abilities in lower winds, then switch to your Frenezy around 7 mph. 

I fly the UL on 50# line at 75'. Std on 100# line at 100', would consider 150# in high winds.

Elvis

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:42 PM »

Wayner, looks like you've noticed my other kites in one of my other topics!

You're right about the Frenezy in higher winds. It really likes to fly in 12-15 mph winds, still enjoys 20 mph winds and it's not afraid of meany 25+mph gusts of wind.

I mostly wanted to find a kite to replace my "Flying Wings - Air Wave UL" (not the "Zero" wich I still enjoy)
wich I consider noisy and it doesn't take much to make the wing tips flap like it might just break in the next gust of wind.
I live inland (in a city) so I get those irregular winds and uneven gusts of wind... that broke a few lower spreaders on that kite.

My friend has a Sky Burner Ocius and I wanted to have a kite of a similar wind range as his.
He believe he has the UL... altough he's not 100% sure about it.
I tought he had the STD but I saw that his lower spreaders are "P-100" so I guess he might have the UL...
...but I'm still not 100% sure, since on the Sky Burner Website, the STD lower spreaders are 5PT and the UL are 3PT.
I've noticed that it can fly easily in lower winds (I'd say inland 6-8 mph wind that drops irregularly).
It's still looking good in nearly 15 mph (more or less) winds.
I'd say it's getting critical with 18 mph gusts of wind.
Since the wind range of the Ocius UL is supposed to be up to 10 mph and that the wind range of my Air Wave UL is supposed to be up to 10 mph as well... and since my friend's Ocius can definitely withstands so much well higher winds than my Air Wave UL, that's why I tought he had the STD.

With that beeing said,
I was heading towards a Widow Maker STD (believing my friend's Ocius was a STD)...
but now I'm thinking about getting the UL instead.

I'd say that where I live, most of the time, winds are pretty irregular... and usually somewhere between 6-12 mph
(with gusts of wind... and winds that just drop to a breeze).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:55 PM by Elvis » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:03 PM »

I missed this post.

You talked about wind speeds, but they are hard to be accurate unless everyone has a wind meter.   Roll Eyes
It is easier to measure against the other kites you have.  Wink

The Ocius you were flying would be a UL if it had either P100 or PT3 rods and was flying in the same winds as your air-wave UL.  Not sure why it would have p100 rods  Roll Eyes 

The Ocuis UL can fly in higher wind than the WM UL as it is a smaller kite. Since you have flown the Ocius and like it, you may want to consider it.  The WM and Ocius are very different kites. The full size WM offers more control, but looks like the Ocius UL matches the wind window you want to fill.
Elvis

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Yeah well.... I've placed an order for a custom WM UL 2 days ago !

With all the good things I've read on that kite.... and since I don't really have the chance to try other people's kite before buying one, I tought it would be a safe bet.
Also, I wanted to try a different kite than my friend's so we can get to experience more different kites.

I went for UL instead of STD because in general, winds are more propitious to my Air Wave UL than my Frenezy.
And in late day, wind tends to get slower. (I usually end the day with my Air Wave Zero.)
... And if the wind gets a bit too intense for the WM UL,
then I'm sure my Frenezy will be happy to take it from there!

Btw, you're right about wind speed... it's all approximations.

Regarding the P-100 lower spreaders on my friend's Ocius, I know he broke some rods in the past 2-3 years so maybe at a time the shop didn't have 3PT in stock and then he bought some P-100 instead...
(It's a supposition, I'm not sure about the true reason).

The Ocuis UL can fly in higher wind than the WM UL as it is a smaller kite.

I understand he logic of this, but then would you know why on Sky Burner's website they advertise the wind range of Ocius UL at : 1 mph. to 10 mph... and the WM UL at : 2 mph. to 12 mph. ?
Would there be a stronger frame on the WM UL ?
Or maybe you've tried both kites and you know by experience that Ocius UL can handle stronger winds?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:16 PM by Elvis » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography