GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monster delta  (Read 3441 times)
rob103
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: September 20, 2013, 06:30 AM »

Hi folks!
I skould be receiving a 26 foot delta by Greens Kites today and need a line weight recommendation.
thanks
Bill
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46 AM »

1200-1500#
hope you are not planning on flying it too high!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rob103

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32 AM »

Ouch! And here I was thinking my 300# dacron would do
thief

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:21 AM »

yeah....a flyer in Newport used to fly his sun oak dcs with lots of line laundry on 500# and those are only 14'....
Plus you want to have some thickness to that line so that you can handle it well (albeit by hand or by mechanical bits).....

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Ouch! And here I was thinking my 300# dacron would do

Not even close.  Roll Eyes   I fly my 19ft delta on 500lb line in lighter to med winds.

Good new is you can and SHOULD  use shorter line length. 200 - 300 feet.
  - Allows you to get the kite down quickly. Problems can happen QUICK with large kites.   
  - Your big kite looks small when you put it up high on longer lines.  Embarrassed

You need to consider some type of anchoring system as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:13 AM by Wayner » Logged
thief

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Good new is you can and SHOULD  use shorter line length. 200 - 300 feet.

this probably fits the FAA regulation of a 5# object in the air needs to provide local Towers notice/ask for permission for flight......

some reading here about anchors: http://www.gombergkites.com/faq.html

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:53 PM »

I've not flown any larger deltas but I really don't think you'd need more then 750lbs. I've flown kites that you can't pull the line on and it takes 2 people's weight to walk down and I fly them on 1800lbs line. I've flown a 36 premier sled in 30mph winds on 500lbs line and it was pulling like a Mac truck. A delta is going to fly at a higher angle in stronger winds. Higher winds = more pull but higher flight angle is going to decrease pull.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14 PM »

Thinner line equals harder to handle (higher tension)......harder to handle can equal mishaps and accidents....and can also equal a broken line with a 14#(or dare I say heavier) big kite at the top going downwind across things.....
I always strongly suggest heavier line to be certain that the kite will stay connected and managed.

coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:25 PM »

I agree with thief that the issue is ease of handling. I fly to altitude with a very big DT Delta and we use very light line but you would have NO chance of bringing the kite down without a winch. Show kite flying use a line that is thick enough to handle even when the wind is high. Fly it low enough to get a good look at the kite. Line drag or weight will not worry you at low altitude. Making sure it is easier to handle will also make it safer.

Mike
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:42 PM »

I also have a 19 ft delta, and I think the total sail area is close to 100 sq feet.  I usually use 500 lb line on it even though at least one site I know of recommends 300 lb line.  While it flies at a higher angle than a sled or other lifters, it still pulls pretty hard when the wind is up.  I have used a 1 inch diameter tent stake as the primary anchor, with a backup second stake, just in case.  I've also used sand anchors on the beach (again, primary & backup).  I just do not want to experience what it's like to have a big kite (with big heavy duty spars) break free on a crowded beach or field, so I try to be a bit careful with it.  You must have a good solid anchor before you try to launch your big kite.  If you use tent stakes, then you need straps to tie off to because you can't have the line rubbing against the rough metal - it will cut the line after a few hours of flying.  That (luckily) didn't happen to me to the point of failure, but I did notice pretty bad abrasion one time with a smaller kite that I tied off to the stake for a bit when I was out of other anchors. 

I'm guessing your 26 ft delta is probably more like 150+ sq feet of sail, so you probably should plan accordingly when you get your line and anchors.

Oh, and if you are getting carabiners to clip to the straps, use real ones, not the ones you can get at the W mart place or the hardware store.

By the way, haven't flown them in a while, but if I recall, I think my 13ft Sun Oaks DCs pull way less than the 19 ft delta, since someone above said 500 lb for a similar size Sun Oaks.

Oh yeah, and in addition to the above FAA notes, there's more than one article on safety at the link listed above.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:59 PM by goestoeleven » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:38 PM »

Good stakes are a must as well as line.  For most big kites I use these  http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=349250-258-071514000367&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3587910&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1.  They hold good and don't abrade the line if you loop it through the hole and over the ears.  For bigger kites (or hard pulling kites) i use 3-4 of them staked at opposing 30 degree angles through a ring so that the ring tries to pull all the stakes vertical into each other.  THey work well.
rob103

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 12:14 AM »

Oh yea,  That's what I call a large kite  Cool

Love to see that in the air.
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 02:03 AM »

Shocked     Grin       Cool
rob103

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16 AM »

Does anybody know of a source other than Gomberg for heavy kite cord? I checked all the major ones and they all stop at about 500#   1000 pound 22 strand paracord would work but I cant find it either.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change