GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monster delta  (Read 2251 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29 AM »

Is there something you do not like about what gombie offers? His company is THE place for big kites and everything needed.....he probably even imported that delta in the first place.....
Do not skimp  on money around this beast....it can hurt you. Get top quality gear and be safe.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 09:26 AM »

Does anybody know of a source other than Gomberg for heavy kite cord? I checked all the major ones and they all stop at about 500#   1000 pound 22 strand paracord would work but I cant find it either.

I know "A wind of Change" and one of the sponsors of the forum has heavy line. Worth an email or call, if it is not listed on the web site.  This is where I bought mine.
rob103
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17 PM »

nope nothing wrong with Gomberg's products or prices, in fact I have 300 feet of line, a strap/carabiner/and pulley picked out, just thought a little price comparison would be in order and found absolutely nothing to compare!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Don't just rely on the web sites.  OFten times shops carry or can get a lot more than what is on thier pages.  I know Kent, Jon and the other sponsors can get just about anything you want and ITW usually stocks big kite line.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 03:08 PM »

nope nothing wrong with Gomberg's products or prices, in fact I have 300 feet of line, a strap/carabiner/and pulley picked out, just thought a little price comparison would be in order and found absolutely nothing to compare!

You need to get your line and anchor picked up quick so we can see some pictures of your beast in the air.  Grin
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 01:19 PM »

You neglect to show where you are located. For heavy weight line I've gone to a marine supply store. They carry the same line that you'll find for sale in kite stores at about 1/3 the cost. The catch is at the marine supply store the roll will not be guaranteed to be a continuous length where it will be at the kite store. I bought a 1000 foot roll of 980 lb test line for around $30, it was two pieces, but since I seldom fly a kite over 200 feet I got 3 more then acceptable lengths of line from the roll.

In my case I go to Englund Marine who has shops located along the northwest coast from Eureka, Ca to Westport, Wa - sadly they no longer have an online catalog.

Antenna shops also carry DacRope™ used for antenna supports, it's a very nice round solid core braided Polyester line although it's more expensive then the hollow core flatter stuff carried by marine shops and kite stores.

Oh and once your big delta is in the air you might wonder why you needed 1500 lb line since the kite only seems to have around 100-150 lbs pull once up. Deltas ride on the wind, not against it, it's the launch or if the kite should loop or dive while flying. During those times you are presenting the full face of the kite to the wind and at 300+ square feet of sail that's a lot of air.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:44 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29 PM »

You can't go wrong with higher test line. I still say that 750lbs is fine. From Goldberg I think that is 4 or 5mm thick. With thicker line you are probably doubling the weight and drag. I've flown a 240 flow form on 1200 line in 20mph. It's not ideal but it gives an idea of what the line can take. I fly my 525 flow form on 1800lbs. All those lines are around 5mm. Gloves are a must and a pully is smart.

You want to be careful with line. Many manufactures cheat on the test. As I recall, a test of Gombergs 500lbs is around 300lbs while other 500lbs was around 150 and 200lbs.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09 PM »

paracord is supposed to be 550#...the other name for it is 550 cord...
but there is different test of it...check out the chart in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57 PM »

Mountain climbing rope???

Steady winds, y'all.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23 AM »

Mountain climbing rope???

Really too heavy for a delta. Plus it's much more expensive as they have the liability cost built in (the possibility of being sued because someone died using it).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Tmadz

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:40 AM »

You don't want to use paracord. Different beast altogether. If it's 550# cord the inner strands (s/b 7-9) are not woven together and they are only surrounded by the woven outer sleeve. Plus it's just extra weight for what you want to do. If you must, you can get the mil spec from several websites. Just Google it.

Go for the big stuff from Gomberg or ITW. Follow the heavy duty anchoring on Gombergs website. You are going to need a pulley or something because at 26', unless you're in laboratory grade winds, that thing is going move all over when you put her up and take her down.

Getting the right cord, even if it's more expensive than you hoped, is the best route. Safety first. I've learned the hard way with sleds, flow forms and large delta's. Almost darn near took my head off and I was prepared for it too!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:49 AM by Tmadz » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 05:21 PM »

what is that monster delta framed in? Im going to frame a 21 ft one soon.

"Do what you like"
thief

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34 PM »

SLE rods would work...if you want to pay that!!!!!!

ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15 AM »

yea I've been dreaming of SLE rods, but I don't want to pay that !
alternatives?Huh

"Do what you like"
rob103

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 08:52 AM »

Wouldja believe wooden dowels...broomsticks almost!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography