GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixth sense, first stunt kite build  (Read 5268 times)
iwan00
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 01:56 AM »

Dacron is good substitute for mylar reinforcements. I have used in my SixthSense with very good result.
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 04:58 AM »

Question:  Do I need to reinforce the nose?  I was going to use the technique that Sugarbaker did in his B'Zar build.  Which I have to say is a must read document.  Really amazing work!

I assume that can be used for any stunt kite with slight modification for the specific plan.
iwan00

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26 AM »

If You are excelent flyer or You will use Your kite only at the soft grass then this technique is sufficient, but if You are planning to use Your kite at sand or any other "hard" surface than i aqdvice you to give even 2 plies of dacron under Your nose. Sooner or later You will see the spine looking out of hole. I am using even additional "bumper" becouse flying on big grain sand kills noses very quickly.
DMF

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09 AM »

My sixth sense is essentially done!  I've got the sail, frame and bridle done I just have to assemble and fine tune.  I am going to fix my nose a bit as well.  I'll post some final pics tonight once I get it assembled.

Here are a few build pics.  I find taking pics as I build helps me when I go to make the next one.
DMF

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 03:18 AM »

For the TE I used a double folded ripstop binding.  I lined up the edge (orange) with the centre of the binding as I sewed.  I sewed very close to the edge of the fabric.  Then I fold over the binding and sew a second straight stitch closer to the top of the binding. THis leaves a nice spot for the leech line.  From the front of the kite you see one stitch and from the back you see two.

Heres the back of the TE

Heres how I finished the gap.  My spine tensioner Is in the back of the kite.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:29 AM by DMF » Logged
DMF

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25 AM »

For the leading edge.  I used double sided tape and glue on the back

I lined it up to a pencil mark.

I then taped down the front side in sections every 5-10 cm.  This allowed the bend to be distributed along the full LE.  I then joined all the sections with a strip of tape going from the Nose to tip. 

This gave me the final lay of the binding. 

I then started to remove the tape as I was sewing.  Similar to taking pins out as you go

DMF

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:32 AM »

For my nose reinforcement I had to move over to a light industrial sewing machine.  There is a lot of layers in there!  I am going to sew the spine pocket I bit narrower.  It seems too wide when I assemble the kite. 

iwan00

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 05:38 AM »

nice job!
DMF

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Here's the finished kite. I can't wait to get this in the air.  I have very little experience with 2 line kites so It should be fun!

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35 PM »

Oh yeh duals are real difficult to fly, send it to me and I'll test it Wink Cheesy Roll Eyes

on a serious note, nice job! it is pretty!

Sine Metu!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 06:19 AM »

Great job!  I'm glad my b'zar thread is still getting some use.  One of these days I'll get my new studio up and operational.  I fully intend on doing a similarly comprehensive thread/write up for an upcoming build of chris derefat's monster.  It will have some updated tips and techniques...

Anyway, great build.  Have fun flying!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 10:14 AM »

Here's the finished kite. I can't wait to get this in the air.  I have very little experience with 2 line kites so It should be fun!

Great!

I see you have your secret inspirational "spirit" right there under the table...  Wink

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »

Looks great.  Thanks for the pictures. 

All these treads are convincing me I need to start my first dual like build.
DMF

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 01:38 PM »

Great job!  I'm glad my b'zar thread is still getting some use.  One of these days I'll get my new studio up and operational.  I fully intend on doing a similarly comprehensive thread/write up for an upcoming build of chris derefat's monster.  It will have some updated tips and techniques...

Anyway, great build.  Have fun flying!

Thanks for all the work you put into those build threads!  They are extremely helpful.  Can't wait to see your monster build, I'm looking for a new project!
DMF

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42 PM »

Great!

I see you have your secret inspirational "spirit" right there under the table...  Wink

Good eye!  Hard to believe you could spot that with all the junk down there!  Here are some more of my basement distractions!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum