GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting To The Top  (Read 4190 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 02:40 PM »

A few years ago Mr. Tinkham let me fly his big kite and I finally got a clean, slow yo-yo. As the kite hovered, stalled and me admiring myself for the clean execution, I hear voice from the creator next to me saying,

"Well..... what are you waiting for?"

I'm sure he was expecting my sequence of cool tricks to begin any second.  Sad

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10 PM »

Obsession? Huh Not me I just drove all over the Valley looking for enough wind to fly, From Grass Valley to Roseville, Lincoln, Olive Hurst, Marysville, Back up the hill Penn Valley, and back home again, Did get some flying in at the little town of Olive Hurst, about an hour and a half,

I aspire  to just not embarrassing myself on the kite field.  A plan I developed at one of the early kite parties when flying surrounded by Tinkham, Graziano, Benson and Wardley.

For the most part I have been successful. 

Nah, everyone's just being poilite because you have all the toys...

Steve's Obsession lead him to own a Kite Store and a Forum Grin

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 03:10 PM »

To go back to the original post. I watched King of Kong because I'd spotted previously a live feed from E3 of Steve Weibe trying to regain his Donkey Kong world record. That's one hard game to master!

Am I the only person to think that Billy Mitchell is complete and utter dick? And, that Weibe was conned by a bunch of Billy fan-boys? Pretty disgusting behaviour (at least as represented in the documentary). Watch it if you want to know more.

Back to kiting. I think there is no substitute for pure practice and study, regulary - very regularly ....... religiously.....I have OCD & time on my hands.

It's interesting that one of the UK's foremost fliers is someone who has always been around other people from whom he can learn - quickly. Coupled with 'that ability to just get it', then convert tuition to real-world ability.

I know some people who've been flying for many years and struggle with tricks. I also know other people who've been flying for a very short time and can do things I can't!

In short, I think a good golfer, 10-pin bowler, B-ball player, darts player or anyone who posesses very keen hand-to-eye coordination, coupled with an anylitical mind and a fire in their belly can become exceptional trick fliers in a relatively short period of years.

I hope that made sense, it's a map of my own learning obsession, 2004-now.

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 08:12 AM »

My wife says the fact that I fly for an hour or two at a time, 2 or 3 times a day, is proof that I'm obsessed. Personally, I think people are obsessed with using the word "obsessed" where the word "dedicated" would be more appropriate.  Grin

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03 AM »

King of Kong was great - that guy had the patience and self-control of a saint.  I mean, I am the easiest going guy around, but I would have been ready to put the stomps to somebody if I were in his position.  It would be like someone showing up at a competition with a video of their routine, playing it, and winning!

Also check out The Corporation (http://www.thecorporation.com/), that documentary will just boil your blood.

Anyhow, most of us on this board certainly seem dedicated/obsessed/addicted/etc.  Smiley

If you think about it, this forum almost functions as a self-help group where we can do the "next best thing" when we are not actually flying.

6 kite tom
John Welden

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04 AM »

My wife says the fact that I fly for an hour or two at a time, 2 or 3 times a day, is proof that I'm obsessed. Personally, I think people are obsessed with using the word "obsessed" where the word "dedicated" would be more appropriate.  Grin

Denny

I agree

Obsessed:
Preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent : he was obsessed with thoughts of suicide | [as adj. ] ( obsessed) he became completely obsessed about germs.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28 PM »

Denny ... After reading the definition I'm convinced that your wife used the correct word.
 Shocked

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Jannie
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 03:24 PM »

John flew a green kite when no one else would, he has always been a front runner.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 09:03 AM »

Practice makes perfect...

My fathers a bit of a sports coach, he plays a little word game with that phrase, it comes out more like this "Perfect practice makes perfect" (I'm sure he heard it from another, but it did have a ring of truth to it)

WinterDaze AoF
sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 09:25 AM »

Am I the only person to think that Billy Mitchell is complete and utter dick? And, that Weibe was conned by a bunch of Billy fan-boys? Pretty disgusting behaviour (at least as represented in the documentary). Watch it if you want to know more.

If you have a little spare time, you might want to check out this collection of postings by Walter Day about the movie:

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewforum.php?f=86&sid=93971bcdc63c950737dd581753ae3066

His claim is basically that a lot of the tension, controversy, and bad behavior was conjured up by the filmmakers in the editing room, presumably because it would make for a more entertaining movie. For example, a quote from "Issue #6 - The Restaurant Scene":

When Billy drives by the restaurant in his car and turns the corner, the audience believes that Billy will not come in and meet Steve. The audience quite commonly shouts very uncomplimentary remarks directed towards Billy on the screen, thinking that he doesn't have the class to come in and greet everyone, including Steve.

However, what actually happened was that Billy drove around the corner and parked and then came in and met everyone. In the course of the greetings, Billy and Steve shook hands. Billy introduced his family to Steve and Billy's family autographed at least two books at Steve's table, possibly owned by Mark Alpiger.

[...]

However, these scenes are not included in the movie.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39 AM »

Denny ... After reading the definition I'm convinced that your wife used the correct word.
 Shocked

Steve, I know you're not getting to fly as much as you'd like but, green just doesn't look good on you.  Grin
Dedicated, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:11 PM »

If you have a little spare time, you might want to check out this collection of postings by Walter Day about the movie:

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewforum.php?f=86&sid=93971bcdc63c950737dd581753ae3066

His claim is basically that a lot of the tension, controversy, and bad behavior was conjured up by the filmmakers in the editing room, presumably because it would make for a more entertaining movie. For example, a quote from "Issue #6 - The Restaurant Scene":

When Billy drives by the restaurant in his car and turns the corner, the audience believes that Billy will not come in and meet Steve. The audience quite commonly shouts very uncomplimentary remarks directed towards Billy on the screen, thinking that he doesn't have the class to come in and greet everyone, including Steve.

However, what actually happened was that Billy drove around the corner and parked and then came in and met everyone. In the course of the greetings, Billy and Steve shook hands. Billy introduced his family to Steve and Billy's family autographed at least two books at Steve's table, possibly owned by Mark Alpiger.

[...]

However, these scenes are not included in the movie.

Indeed. Hence my "(at least as represented in the documentary)" remark.

Ohhh, this thread is like a double helix  Wink

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change