GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: memory card format recovery  (Read 3023 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: June 18, 2009, 08:17 AM »

I am in Michigan to attend/photograph my nieces wedding (6-13-2009)

After downloading all the pictures to my computer I formatted the media cards (as normal)

As I was previewing the pictures to throw out the ones with the brides eyes closed or her mouth open, I discovered I was missing 200 photos.

They were the posed pictures of the wedding party/parents taken in the church and outside the chapel.

Horrified, I located a shareware program Photorec that stated it could recover images from a formatted card.

it did just that all the files from that card (2gig/589files) were recovered and coppied to my computer.

it took about 9 hours (that why it took so long to respond to Steve) but they are all back.

I had to renumber the recovered images to get them in sequence with the originals, but that wasn't hard

I highly recommend this program and donated to the cause,

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:23 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:32 AM »

With the price of cards so low, buy some extras. Never reformat right away. Wait until the next time you use the card, check the photos to see if you still need them for any reason, then reformat the card.

Nice to know about the program for recovery though. Thanks.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:45 AM »

Glad you got your images back, Mike!

No Single point of failure for important photos. I make sure they are safely on two different types of media before I wipe the flash.

That would normally be, on the local hard drive, and saved to storage on the internet. If no internet available then save temporarily to removable media. Unless you shoot thousands of very jigh res images, a couple of 4GB thumb drives are inexpensive temporary backup storage. The folks who shoot big tend to have a second hard drive, or burn the stuff right to a bunch of DVDs.

Allen, AKA kitehead
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Photos go to the external drive I use with my laptop and also to my fileserver before the card gets cleared. I don't think I've been checking to make sure they're all there, though - I'll start doing that now!
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07 PM »

good advice John, I used 3 2-gig, and, 2 1-gig they were all full from the wedding, (2500 pictures) and I needed to take pictures of a barbecue the grooms father was throwing

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:12 PM »

Wow, you take a lot of pictures to cover an event.  Huh

I average about 250/day at the Kite Party.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:06 PM »

Thanks for the rec Mike, We hit format on a card that we hadn't pulled the pics off once, the freeware recovery program I tryed didn't find a thing on the card. Luckily nothing as important as yours though. I'll be checking this one out for sure.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:32 PM »

Wow, you take a lot of pictures to cover an event.  Huh

I average about 250/day at the Kite Party.
i was on location in miami at the biltmore once and we shot just over 120 rolls of film in a single hour. that wasn't the total for the day, just the busiest hour. for the format we were shooting it's 12 shots per roll so ... 1440 in one hour. grueling day as i remember.

so in other words, you need to shoot more john. especially now since cost per shot is essentially nothing.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:50 AM »

Sometimes at the Kite Party........

I would fly kites.

Don't tell anyone.  Roll Eyes

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 02:58 PM »

a good idea indeed. i decided to experience events rather than document them. you sir, have balance.

Fdeli
kiteking

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 03:47 PM »

I have to take that many so I git at least 3 or 4 good ones

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 12:30 AM »

I have to take that many so I git at least 3 or 4 good ones

That's the best thing about digital photography, you make that one time intitial investment and then shoot, shoot, shoot. It doesn't really cost you anything, bracket your shots, take 3-4-5-10 at every opportuninty. Especially with moving kites, one shot will stand out from the rest.

I need to learn how to use my auto bracket feature. My last camera had a nice feature where it took continuous shots when you held the shutter, but only saved the last 5 when you released the shutter, it was great for catching that expression etc when shooting candid shots. I think the new Canon IS does it too but it has so many features and I haven't made the time to run them all yet. Candid shots are my favorite when shooting people, I don't do the "Say Cheese" thing, I'd much rather stand back, zoom in, unaware there's a camera pointed at them.

Couldn't afford to do those things with film, unless of course you were being paid. For me it's been over 30 years since I made money off photography.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 05:34 AM »

I found the rapid fire feature most helpful when shooting (photographing) children. I will hold down the button and capture 10-15 shots in sequence, and almost guaranteed to get one or two perfect pictures.

Also very handy for sports/action shots, I don't think I could go back to shutter lag

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

dyfrgi

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 09:18 PM »

I found the rapid fire feature most helpful when shooting (photographing) children. I will hold down the button and capture 10-15 shots in sequence, and almost guaranteed to get one or two perfect pictures.

Also very handy for sports/action shots, I don't think I could go back to shutter lag

Nothing beats getting the *right* shot. Shutter lag is very important for that, I agree, but it's not the same as a motor drive. A motor drive probably won't let you get a shot right as the ball hits the catcher's mitt, for instance, but short shutter lag and a good sense of timing will.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38 PM »

I refuse to use multiple shot features.

One push, one picture.

Personally, I feel if you use the multiple shot features, you eventually lose your eye for the picture itself.

Of course, I have missed many pictures with this Neanderthal approach.  Sad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change