Trouble getting the kite lay on its back...

Pages: (1/4) > >>

Ara Ararauna:

Don't think wrongly.  ::)

My issue is the start-off move of a Lazy Susan.
I have real difficulties getting the kite on its back when the wind is not very light.
What I do is fly the kite low and then turn to fly straight up. At this point I really move my arms back and throw them strongly forward while even jumping or running forward (now that I say this I probably look really dumb when doing this...  :-[ ).
Still the kite tends to keep flying up as opposed to flipping back.

Any tips on how to get this without ripping my arms off their shoulder joint will be greatly appreciated.   :)   :)

BTW, when I do get the kite on its back I am starting to get nice LZ's, cascading LZ's (two or three in a row) and I even started to climb the first steps of Jacob's Ladder! I get half a LZ, then pull the lines to flip the kite and enter a fade which is till a bit ephemeral but getting there.  ;D
I was so happy the other day I managed to start doing this. I felt really "pro", d'you know what I mean?   8)

So for this I do need to be able to have an easy and smooth start of the LZ.
Thanks in advance.

Bob D:

If the wind is blowing too hard, flipping back into a turtle is REALLY hard in the middle of the wind window. You might want to try the side of the window where it's not so strong. It sounds like you're doing the right thing though. One thing you could try is a snap stall to get the wind out of the sail and then a snap, forward jump and release to get it on its back.

jaydub:

Worth trying a quick wrist snap before throwing your arms forward.  Has a similar effect to the snap stall as it momentarily speeds the kite up then releases the pressure from the sail.

Ara Ararauna:

Quote from: Bob D on September 26, 2013, 03:49 AM
--
If the wind is blowing too hard, flipping back into a turtle is REALLY hard in the middle of the wind window. You might want to try the side of the window where it's not so strong. It sounds like you're doing the right thing though. One thing you could try is a snap stall to get the wind out of the sail and then a snap, forward jump and release to get it on its back.

--

Thanks, however I was really not referring to strong wind. This is why I said it was "not very light wind". So I already get a bit of trouble when the wind is moderate.

Concerning the snap stall, hmmm... I knew I should have learnt it sooner  :-[
I have tried it several times in the past but I either hit my hands with each other and get badly hurt, or I get a half axel, or I get the kite to wiggle a bit but it does not seem to feel my snap and refuses to stall...  :(

I really can't understand what I need to do to effectively get a snap stall.
Any tips?

Thanks!

Ara Ararauna:

Quote from: jaydub on September 26, 2013, 04:49 AM
--
Worth trying a quick wrist snap before throwing your arms forward.  Has a similar effect to the snap stall as it momentarily speeds the kite up then releases the pressure from the sail.

--

Thanks jaydub, but what is a "wrist snap"?
I hadn't heard of this before.

Can you point me to a video showing it or provide some more details on its execution?
Thanks!

Pages: (1/4) > >>