GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AS rods via other rods  (Read 1018 times)
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 28, 2013, 12:19 PM »

What is the different between the AS rods and other carbond rods? Can anyone explain please? Why the AS rods so much more expensive then other rods? I had use the AS rods before and the AS rods still broke just like other rods out there. I thought I used the AS rods will give me the best of everything and still break. Why?

Thanks a lot.

Good day.
jon t
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:38 PM »

The AS tubes are made out of a very high modulus pre preg material, more carbon verse resin . The  pre preg cloth that we make wrapped carbon tubes out of comes in different weights. The very high modulus materials can have a very high price per pound. I also believe these tubes were manufactured in Japan and they also may have had Boron in the material.   As the material modulus goes up the more brittle the material can be. The way the material is layered can also have a big effect on the deflection and durability you obtain. Larger diameter tubes will be stiffer per weight but have a thinner wall. Our Sky Shark Nitro has a very close deflection to the same weight AS tube. The big difference comes with the ability of the tube to rebound quickly. In these terms the AS tube shines. But is it worth what you will pay for it. You would have to be a very good flyer to notice the difference.  It is always about weight verse deflection and then there is the important part, durability. These comments are just my opinion . I have been working with and designing wrapped carbon tubed for sport kites for over 20 years starting with G Force ,Black Diamond and then Sky Shark tubes.
Jon Trennepohl
Sky Burner kites
Sky Shark Wrapped carbon tubes       
Fearless Object

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Thanks Jon.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:27 PM »

Another thing, the AS rods are made to much much tighter tolerances then say skysharks, plus they are all individually x-rayed to ensure correct fabrication.

As for breaking, nothing is indestructible, but the AS rods used correctly can take a whole lot of punishment.
Correctly means to use the conical connectors for example.

They also have a different return to shape behavior then other rods. Thanks to their bigger diameter and construction they return from a loaded to a unloaded shape much quicker.

Black Diamonds are similar in feel and behavior, as are the g-force ul/sul, just the AS do it better.

PS, best skyshark rod ever? Response Zero Gold
Fearless Object

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Thank you my friend Smiley I will try them again Smiley

Good day !
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:20 AM »

please do not use the silver

have fun kurt
Fearless Object

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49 AM »

Thanks but why, isn't the AS are the best rods, why the silver not to use? Thanks

I know they have Gold, Silver and Blue.

Peace.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00 PM »

They have to be ferruled very carefully preferably with the AS ferrules or they will break.

But otherwise, very durable and the rebound characteristics are unreal.

$-wise not so much.

I've heard people say bad things about the Silver and Blue, but I've had no problems with AS ferruled AS rods.

I don't use them much because of the price not because I've had any problems with them.

Great sticks, just very expensive.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:04 PM by JimB » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58 PM »

Does anyone in the US sell them?

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »

after breaking 3  I researched them a bit.. turns out I was not the only one breaking the silver.. I have no idea if they were set up properly but I assume so I also do not remember were they broke.. In 8 yrs of flying I have had 6 sticks (2 were  avia sul 1 skyshark 2pt) break the 3 silvers broke within 2 weeks of each other.. There is a thread somewhere on FA if you are interested in learning more Maybe Mike will remember better than me.. .PS after reframing the kite in skyshark I have not had a problem.. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:13 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document