I haven't broken a tube yet... is that bad?

Pages: (1/3) > >>

Ara Ararauna:

Hi,

It is almost two years since I started flying and I have never broken a rod or tube yet.

I constantly see posts here of great pilots that ask about how to repair or replace a broken tube.

I am really starting to get worried...   :(
Does this mean I am not learning adequately?
Could it be that I am not exercising my tricks well enough?
Does it mean I am still a lousy beginner?

I must clarify that although I have indeed broken a LS, it was because the ferule moved out of place and in a strong sudden gust of wind one of the two LS split open.
But that was not related to my flying.
I was actually only smoothly and calmly making a horizontal pas at the centre of the window.

So I would really want to start being a pro and require your help and utmost dedication to my cause.
Please tell me whether I really need to be breaking tubes and rods in order to stop being a newbie and start to be considered a true pilot...

Thanks in advance!

coogee:

Keep flying you will break a spar sooner or later...so it goes

Just enjoy yourself.

Mike

KaoS:

Quote from: Ara Ararauna on September 29, 2013, 01:24 AM
--

Does this mean I am not learning adequately?
Could it be that I am not exercising my tricks well enough?
Does it mean I am still a lousy beginner?

--

That sounds like a motorcycle racer saying "If you haven't crashed, you're not riding close enough to the limit!"

I'd say you're learning very well, and are probably sympathetic to your kites and have a reasonably clear understanding of what you are attempting.  Most good quality sports kites these days have really good quality tubes.  Chances are you're not nose planting the kite in conditions NOT suited to the kite.  Breakages usually happen because of bad mistakes, or from attempting to learn w-a-y above your skill level.

But even the best flyers break spars when they push the boundaries and go too far(just watch the beginning of Trick or Treat DVD).  

I can only remember having two spar breaks in the past couple of years.  One was attempting a two point landing in the centre of the window in 20 mph wind ( I hardly ever do that), the other was a 3PT lower spreader that didn't like me trying cyniques on an UL ( I was being ham fisted).  Both times I was not surprised when the breaks occurred.

Hadge:

It's a bit like asking " have I crashed enough cars yet to be good driver?"  ???

You're certainly not a 'newbie' any more Ara!  your tricks are progressing nicely.  When I was learning the carbon fibre tube factories had to take on extra staff to keep up with me!  :-[

Not breaking sticks is good thing!  The Wind Gods are obviously smiling on you...don't upset them! ;)

alien:

GOOD KITE DESIGN....... ;D
I AM ALSO AMAZED,OR VERY LUCKY!
Some of the noises and extreme twisted clumps of kite on the ground, :o
But still no damage.......... ???

Pages: (1/3) > >>