GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 03:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I haven't broken a tube yet... is that bad?  (Read 3980 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 29, 2013, 01:24 AM »

Hi,

It is almost two years since I started flying and I have never broken a rod or tube yet.

I constantly see posts here of great pilots that ask about how to repair or replace a broken tube.

I am really starting to get worried...   Sad
Does this mean I am not learning adequately?
Could it be that I am not exercising my tricks well enough?
Does it mean I am still a lousy beginner?

I must clarify that although I have indeed broken a LS, it was because the ferule moved out of place and in a strong sudden gust of wind one of the two LS split open.
But that was not related to my flying.
I was actually only smoothly and calmly making a horizontal pas at the centre of the window.

So I would really want to start being a pro and require your help and utmost dedication to my cause.
Please tell me whether I really need to be breaking tubes and rods in order to stop being a newbie and start to be considered a true pilot...

Thanks in advance!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
coogee

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:43 AM »

Keep flying you will break a spar sooner or later...so it goes

Just enjoy yourself.

Mike
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46 AM »

Does this mean I am not learning adequately?
Could it be that I am not exercising my tricks well enough?
Does it mean I am still a lousy beginner?

That sounds like a motorcycle racer saying "If you haven't crashed, you're not riding close enough to the limit!"

I'd say you're learning very well, and are probably sympathetic to your kites and have a reasonably clear understanding of what you are attempting.  Most good quality sports kites these days have really good quality tubes.  Chances are you're not nose planting the kite in conditions NOT suited to the kite.  Breakages usually happen because of bad mistakes, or from attempting to learn w-a-y above your skill level.

But even the best flyers break spars when they push the boundaries and go too far(just watch the beginning of Trick or Treat DVD).  

I can only remember having two spar breaks in the past couple of years.  One was attempting a two point landing in the centre of the window in 20 mph wind ( I hardly ever do that), the other was a 3PT lower spreader that didn't like me trying cyniques on an UL ( I was being ham fisted).  Both times I was not surprised when the breaks occurred.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21 AM »

It's a bit like asking " have I crashed enough cars yet to be good driver?"  Huh

You're certainly not a 'newbie' any more Ara!  your tricks are progressing nicely.  When I was learning the carbon fibre tube factories had to take on extra staff to keep up with me!  Embarrassed

Not breaking sticks is good thing!  The Wind Gods are obviously smiling on you...don't upset them! Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
alien

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:05 AM »

GOOD KITE DESIGN....... Grin
I AM ALSO AMAZED,OR VERY LUCKY!
Some of the noises and extreme twisted clumps of kite on the ground, Shocked
But still no damage.......... Huh
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:10 AM by alien » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:06 AM »

i would not worry about it  Cheesy
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:03 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments!
I was actually only kidding about. This is why the text was exaggerated and overacted.   Grin
I know it does sound like the motorbike or car crashing analogy.
So I was being humorous because sometimes it seemed to me, in many posts, that having broken a good few spars is somewhat of a good rating for your pilot CV.  Wink

However, in a sense I was thinking...
"perhaps I am not putting sufficient strength in the inputs I give to the kite, and perhaps this is why I can still not do some tricks". For example, snap stall, taz machine, yoyo's, etc.
And also when the wind picks up a bit I tend to have many problems in controlling the kite.

So my query was, in a humorous way, trying to really understand whether my flying could be improved through more aggressive flying.
I tend to be more of a gentle pilot rather than a strong or brusque one so I was wondering...  Roll Eyes

I am indeed enjoying myself all along the learning process. So no problem there.  Smiley

Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:40 AM »

Big strong inputs are not always the way to go. It seems the better you get the more subtle your inputs become - if you've ever watched Martin Madsen's (Mama74) tutorials online he hardly seems to move his hands at all. Often when you're struggling to learn a new trick it is only a little thing you are doing wrong, a bit more slack, a step forward etc. When you are learning on your own it often takes a while to figure out what the problem is, that is where those who fly with a group have the advantage. Keep at it, keep asking questions, keep posting videos and you'll get there in the end.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:32 AM »

Hey I have been flying for over 20 years and trick flying for over two and never broken a spar...

...unless you count both 3PT leading edges I snap off my Mojo UL with the truck door.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Hey I have been flying for over 20 years and trick flying for over two and never broken a spar...

...unless you count both 3PT leading edges I snap off my Mojo UL with the truck door.

I told you Wayne... we'll never be pros...  Sad

Wink  Cheesy

In my bag...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01 PM »

I completely agree.  The only time I break something unexpectedly is due to a faulty spar and it happens early in the spars life.

In other cases, I realize that I am pushing it and would not be surprised and even then I've only had one break.  Mostly due to flying in high winds or practicing lots of ground work in Hugh winds which is lots of fun. 

I see folks break things when they are slapping and whapping and wrapping too close to the ground with no control of the kite.  Keep it in the air and it's much harder to break things and just looks much better all around!  Smiley

6 kite tom
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 12:38 PM »

If you never crash, you are not trying hard enough.
If you're breaking spars, you are trying a little too hard.  Wink

sorry, Allen.  Lips sealed

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 12:42 PM »

Had a 'pro' moment yesterday  Embarrassed .  I thought the Zodarion was behaving a little strangely ( I hadn't flown it for a couple of weeks) and on examination I found one of the lower spreaders had split for about 8" from the centre 'T' ! (plain carbon tube not wrapped)  Embarrassed     Must have happened when I was practising 2 point landings last time I used it! I must have been trying hard! Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:03 PM by Hadge » Logged

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 02:17 AM »

Had a 'pro' moment yesterday  Embarrassed .  I thought the Zodarion was behaving a little strangely ( I hadn't flown it for a couple of weeks) and on examination I found one of the lower spreaders had split for about 8" from the centre 'T' ! (plain carbon tube not wrapped)  Embarrassed     Must have happened when I was practising 2 point landings last time I used it! I must have been trying hard! Grin

Ouch!
"Don't want to be no pro" then...  Cheesy

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:31 AM »

Ara,

This is how we 'Pro's* break a spar!! Proper job!!   Grin

* When I say 'Pro' I mean professional spar shreader not Pro flier....sadly I'll never be one of those, I'm a hack and I know it Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum