GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 11:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite poster printing problem - any designer help needed  (Read 2520 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Ok, haven't heard from you & my day off is over so I am outta time & won't have more for a couple of weeks. Here are a few things that might help:

* Whatever program you are using should have a crop tool. You need to CROP the ORIGINAL file to whatever size you need. This is a cleaner way to go rather than merely changing pixel/inch/mm size.

* If you are printing an 11x17 laser copy "poster," you are likely going to need 250 - 300ppi. If you are using a large format inkjet for printing, you can get away with 150ppi or less if people won't be standing with their noses to the glass, as Allen talked about.

(I don't have any UK/European paper sizes handy, so I'll let you figure out any  size conversions from any numbers I've mentioned)

* Work on a COPY, not the original file. Save Early Save Often.

* Don't worry about full bleeds or crop marks. If the company you deal with is marketing to the general public, it's likely they have all that techie stuff dealt with already.

* Default photo images out of the camera are generally RGB. If you need to change it to CMYK for printing, it's no big deal unless you are picky about colors, because they will change slightly. Believe me when I tell you it's better to not be picky, because you'll open another whole can of worms and it will cost you a lot of extra money for special inks and tech time. You likely won't even notice the difference anyway. There should be an option in your program to do the RGB/CMYK conversion. EasyPeasy.

* If you need to add text over the photo, make sure your text isn't hairline thin. adding a bit of a drop shadow helps to define it if you have that program option.

If you need to add a bunch of smallish fine text it's best if you add a very light (white is best) box underneath it. Otherwise text will just bleed into the background and the techies will yell at you if you have a complaint about it.

Okay, I really do hope this helps and that I haven't made it seem even more complicated.

Nancy

Sent from TapaTalk using my cellphone- please excuse any spelling errors.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
BreezChase
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16 AM »

Hi Nancy!

Thank you for the insightful response, which has made the issue opposite from complicated - I like getting the technical aspecs clarified while learning about something new - I am sorry I was not here to respond to your questions immediately due to being away on the weekend.

The use of the service provider makes little difference, as I was looking for ways of getting the printing done fast. Now I want to thank several members who contributed with suggestions for alternatives I am having a closer look at. Being aware of the requirements and options.

Thanks again.

P.S. Speaking of the cameras and billions of pixels....Nokia Pureview 808 ?....:O....

Berta
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29 AM »

Hello,

Just wondering if there's any graphic design people?

I am trying to get 3 large posters printed as decorations for an ongoing promo project, but as I attempt to upload the photos using this printing site tool, I am being told that the DPI (??) of the images is not sufficient (min requirement being 300). Maybe someone knows how do I change the DPI of the images?  Can I do that with the shots attacheds, or is that not possible?

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That's nice site but I know much better which is easier in use! Just check THAT http://www.ronyasoft.com/products/proposter/en/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum