GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: early US dual-liners?  (Read 941 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: October 04, 2013, 12:02 AM »

As some of you know, I'm interested in the history of kites, especially early dual-liners. In the UK, in the 1970s, we saw Peter Powell bring dual-line kite-flying to the masses, and very soon after Dunford Flying Machines and Cambridge Combats came on the market. These last two didn't leave any 'descendents', but the Peter Powell Stunter was soon followed by a host of similar kites (e.g. Barnstormer, Red Arrow, Aero-Kite, Skite, etc).

What happened in the US? Did it also start with Peter Powell? And if so, what came on the market in its wake? I know of the Glite which would have preceded the PP, and I know of the Trlby, which I assume came a bit later, but what other US-made dual-line kites were on the market in the 1970s?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:47 AM by Flying Fish » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:07 AM »

Over here in the 70's I've seen mention that we had 17 models available by the late 1970's, these are the ones I've been able to confirm through old articles and advertisements. Peter Powell's, Dunton's, Sky Cat's, Sky Tiger's, Wind Jammer's, Sky-Ro-Gyro's, Aerobat's, Marble Head Stunt Kites, Dynotrol's, Flexifoil's, Rainbow's, Skynasaur's, Glite's, Hi Flier's Super Stunter, and Spectra Star had 3 stunt kite models. A couple more possibly available in the 1970's but for sure in the early 1980's were the Hyperkite's & Dynakites.

Didn't the Dunford predate the Peter Powell?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:47 AM »

Great stuff; thanks!!

Didn't the Dunford predate the Peter Powell?

The thorny issue ... I'm trying to get specific information on that from both Peter Powell and Cochranes (who marketed the Dunford FM). What seems certain is that the Dunford FM was developed prior to the PP, but the little bit of info I have so far suggests that it came on the market very soon after Peter Powell became successful. If that indeed proves correct, who came first depends on what stage you pick: development or sales.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09 AM »

We also had the Sky Command Remote Control Stunt Kite by Remco available in 1969, same year the Glite came out.

I see Hyperkite's and TRLBY's (Ace in England) first mentioned in 1981, Then in October of 1982 I see Don Tabor holding what appears to be a Hawaiian at the AKA convention in Detroit.

Would you be interested in the Forum's Sport Kite History as narrated by Al Hargus? There's also a history by Ron Reich available in the archives at Kitelife.com or from me. Or pic's of those first stunters from 1969, the Glite's or Sky Commander's?

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:16 AM »

Definite 'yes' to all those sources / photos you mention! Please, let me know how to get them.

Sky Command Remote Control Stunt Kite

I assume 'remote control' doesn't mean radio / wireless here?

I do have a Glite, by the way, but am not familiar with the Sky Command.

Flying Fish

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09 AM »

Just found a few pics of the Sky Command kite. It's a three-liner!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:21 AM by Flying Fish » Logged

Flying Fish

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:57 AM »

By the way, the Ace here (equivalent of Trlby) was around at least in 1978, as it's mentioned in Ron Moulton's book "Kites", which was published in 1978. So I assume/guess the Trlby was from the late 1970s as well?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23 PM »

Probably if you have it in Moulton's book, I have the book but last night my only source was Kite Lines magazine. I just did a quick scan for mentions or advertisements to come up with a time period. I've worked on and off trying to tie hundreds of sources of information together and it's a daunting task to say the least. I've copied nearly every article, blog, forum thread or picture I've run across.

Anyway shoot me an email on PM where you can recieve a 5 meg zip file, or I can load it up on my ftp site. The Ron Reich memoirs I don't publicly share since they are from KiteLife.com (you'll get it) but Steve lets me share the Al Hargus thread from the old Forum since it exists now only in his and my database and a few others I've passed it along to.  You'll need Microsoft Word for this one, I'll send you PDF's if you'd rather (I hate'em and some people have had issues with mine)

Any interest in SLK's? Here's a site I did on the Sauls Barrage Kite when I had the pleasure of assisting Harry's wife Edna to donate his memorabilia and record an interview with Ali Fujino for the Drachen Foundation. What an interesting man, he was close friends with Dr. Paul Garber (I know you know his history), Francis Rogallo and Domina Jalbert, the people responsible for the basic designs of the kites we enjoy today. It's unclear if Harry influenced them or they influenced him but you see the same principles used in Harry's designs as were used in their designs. http://www.sysmatrix.net/~mikenchico/Sauls.htm

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:24 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document